Author Topic: Rear brake pads cost  (Read 10746 times)

royc

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz CVT EX
Rear brake pads cost
« on: November 29, 2023, 03:23:58 PM »
Apparently my rear brake pads are down to just under 4mm and been advised to have new ones fitted. What sort of money would you expect to pay for this please (with Honda approved Dealer).

Wilmo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Sport 2018
Re: Rear brake pads cost
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2023, 04:38:04 PM »

fatal

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz 1.3se Mk3
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2023, 05:09:33 PM »
Why not get a price from an independent garage?
I think therefore I'm not.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2023, 05:11:22 PM »
Honda don't make brake linings. You can buy decent pads such as Bosch or Blue Print, for your car for <£15 eg eBay item number:235116784357 or 334694797604.  :D

I would be phoning a couple of indi garages to see what they quote. Rear pads are easy to replace, certainly not requiring a Honda garage visit so there should be big savings to be made without compromising safety.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2023, 10:48:43 AM »
DIY using EBC pads on my 2012 _ similar setup  - was under £25..

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2023, 11:11:11 AM »
I'd agree with go independent.

The amount of dust my front ones create is crazy, and I'm sure they are still original. There's bound to be better/cleaner pads.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2023, 11:16:31 AM »
Its a job well within the competence of an independent garage . Or even DIY. If you ask them specifically for  a top quality brand  rather than leaving the choice to them its not normally a problem.    Their regular  parts supplier probably stock  a couple of OE quality makes   as well as budget brands.  It may cost a little extra.   Sometimes they might try to persuade you their regular budget brand are just as good  - and it may be true.

OE quality means Original Equipment  . The car makers themselves buy their brake pads from these  same manufacturers   , even if they are rebranded with their own logo. 

Have we persuaded you yet ?   ;D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 11:22:25 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

royc

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz CVT EX
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2023, 02:15:27 PM »
Thank you for all the replies. When I had my service and Mot 6 months ago it was noted that the rear pads were under 4mm. last week I had an invite for a free complimentary check on things like tyres, brake pads,fluids etc (because of the brake pad notes from 6 months ago). I took the Car in today and they did the free check and the report said every thing was OK inc the brake pads and that no action was required !
I asked about the cost on here as I was fully expecting to need new rear pads. I will certainly get a quote from an independent if I require them in the future - thanks for all your help.   

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2023, 03:34:57 PM »
My main dealer always emails me a little video of their  tyre tread and brake pad check.  Its normally brief as mine still have little wear   but Id' expect they would zoom in and  make their pitch  if things were near  limits.

Its not unusual to get differing opinions on pad lining depths. Sometime the pads are dipped in protective paint during manufacture, to different depths  , and mechanics may measure from the paint line rather than  actual lining material . Also different garages may have different  'rules' on how they carry out measurements and estimate the percentage of wear.  Often to their own advantage. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags: