Author Topic: Brake disc splash guard  (Read 1354 times)

guest1372

Brake disc splash guard
« on: January 20, 2018, 07:54:02 PM »
I'm in my final year of Jazz ownership, in 2002 I never planned to keep this one so long but it has met my needs and I tend to use hire cars for business travel to keep things simple.  Before it goes I'm probably going to address the advisory from last year's MOT,  "n/s and o/s front brake back plates corroded".

The lower portion of the disc splash guard has corroded and is now perforated, it's not a failure item in itself as the splash guards could be removed entirely but any corroded or jagged part should sound a note of caution.  From the manual it looks like you have to pull the hubs from the wheel bearing to gain access to the back plate fixings. 

To be honest replacing these looks like a complete PITA, but maybe it will prevent some other random thing becoming an advisory instead.

Has anyone done this or something similar?
--
TG

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Brake disc splash guard
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 12:00:46 AM »
It can be done, but will have to replace the wheel bearings. You will destroy the old bearing when you drift the hub out of the bearing - not only will the races be damaged, but the centre races are split and the bearings tend to disassemble themselves as you knock the hub out.

I've never replaced disk shields, ever. Just cut out the jaggedy bits if they bother you, but it should never cause a problem at MOT time.

Tags:

anything