Author Topic: Do you rate your Mk3 Jazz as a refined Motorway cruiser?  (Read 12325 times)

swampy

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: don't own one yet
Do you rate your Mk3 Jazz as a refined Motorway cruiser?
« on: October 18, 2017, 11:00:37 AM »
Hi all

Just joined the forum and close to taking the plunge on a new Jazz EX.

I'd be interested to know how you rate your Jazz for refinement on the Motorway at say 70-80mph in terms of  engine noise, road noise and wind noise.

Am getting rid of my Mk6 Golf 1.6 Tdi after it's exhaust gas recirculation valve failed - 6 months after it had the so called emissions fix applied.

Not expecting it to quite as refined as the Golf but hoping it's not too much of  a step down.

Your opinions much appreciated.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Re: Do you rate your Mk3 Jazz as a refined Motorway cruiser?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 11:47:39 AM »
I would say my experience with Jazz cars (now on my 4th) over the years has been very good.
I'm not one for speeding much, just set the cruise control to 70, sit back and enjoy the journey, I suppose my longest trip in a day has been up to Scotland, roughly 325 miles and did not suffer any undue affects from the journey.

I can't speak for VW, most of the previous cars has been Rover products , metros, 200 series etc and a Freelander and I can say that the Jazz is equally as comfortable, if not better.
My fuel consumption is usually in the mid 50s on such journeys.
So I would say, go for it, I don't think you will regret it.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 11:52:59 AM »
As above, I usually run at 70 on cruise control, long journey mpg 50+, around town 47ish. After decades of diesel driving it is blissfully quiet and smooth. It gets a bit vocal above 4,000 revs but that is only briefly during hard acceleration. Initially it may feel a bit sluggish after a turbo diesel, but you soon learn how to get the best out of it, don't be afraid to use the full rev range! Honda car engines are designed to give their best at high revs.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 11:58:12 AM by Deeps »

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 12:09:38 PM »
It's pretty quiet at 60mph (which is what I usually do - cruise control in lane one then relax), its slightly louder at 70mph. If you push it beyond the speed limit it can get a bit noisy but no worse than most cars in its class. A VW might be a bit quieter but I don't find anything objectionable to the Jazz at speed - you can still hold a normal conversation with the other occupants.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 12:11:16 PM by andruec »

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 04:10:31 PM »
This is a very subjective question, and people will have very different ideas about what constitutes a refined motorway car.

Are you buying from a dealer in which case you should be able to test drive. Buying privately should still be able to try on motorway.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 05:06:50 PM »
This is a very subjective question, and people will have very different ideas about what constitutes a refined motorway car.
I have a GD5. 1,2 litre and I am happy enough with it at 70. But it is purely subjective.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 05:43:52 PM »
As long as you remember that the Jazz is a (big) supermini  biased towards urban use you won't go far wrong. It is an adequate motorway car but it is not meant to be a lane three burner.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 05:47:22 PM by Deeps »

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 07:12:35 PM »
Subjectively, I find my Jazz acceptable at 70 on the motorway, you don't have to shout to be heard by back seat passengers.  Can't comment on 80 as that would be breaking the law.  However my Rolls Royce and my wife's Jaguar are quieter ;D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 07:18:23 PM »

Are you buying from a dealer in which case you should be able to test drive. Buying privately should still be able to try on motorway.

Well I did many motorway miles in my 1.4 GD,  from Shropshire down to Lands End and also up as far as Dundee in bonny Scotland,  also once a month I did M54 / M6 / M5 / M42 / M40 return trip from Shropshire to our companies head office in Thame Buckinghamshire.  Have to admit it was an easier Journey in the Civic (Civic is hardly affected by 'bow wave' of large lorries on motorway and crosswinds in general),  but I have also driven to Scotland and Cornwall in my wifes GE 1.4 Jazz (it has cruise control and the Civic doesn't) without a problem.   Have not driven a MK3 so cannot comment,  but I bet it is a better ride then GD / GE.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

rogbro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 08:43:42 PM »
I think the new Mk4 2018 Jazz with its 1.5 litres 128 bhp I-VETC engine, is going to be a much better bet
for the motorways, either in this country, or abroad.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 09:26:20 PM »
The Mk3 I had on loan, a couple of weeks back was brilliantly smooth and quiet. Every bit as quiet as the CRV the month before that. Granted, it was brand new, with only 200 miles on the clock.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 09:29:46 PM »
I think the new Mk4 2018 Jazz with its 1.5 litres 128 bhp I-VETC engine, is going to be a much better bet
for the motorways, either in this country, or abroad.

Personally I don't like the look of the mk3 and mk4 looks like more of the same.  I do however like the look of the new Civic, after 2011 the Civic also got a bit strange, but have seen a couple of latest Civics and it looks Gooood!

The 1.8iVTEC 140bhp naturally aspirated engine fitted to Civic up till this year is a real Gem, very flexible and lots of oomph, and capable of good mpg.  Latest Civic has 129 or 182 turbo petrol ponies under bonnet.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 09:52:44 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 10:57:44 PM »
I have found the Mk3 cvt much more relaxed on motorways, and with a better ride, than the Mk 2 manual.  I tend to drive at 68 mph on cruise control (true 64 mph), to minimise lane-changing, and this gives an indicated 60+ mpg, about 56 actual.  The cvt gives revs of well under 2500 at this speed, which I find very comfortable and quiet.  A faster speed would save a few minutes on a three hour trip, but why have the extra stress?

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 11:10:13 PM »
The Mk3 I had on loan, a couple of weeks back was brilliantly smooth and quiet. Every bit as quiet as the CRV the month before that. Granted, it was brand new, with only 200 miles on the clock.

I am surprised at this because my mk 3 CVT is much quieter and smoother at 19000 miles that it was at 200. In fact when I first got it I was a little disappointed by engine noise compared to my fully in Mk 2.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 06:55:39 AM »
I am surprised at this because my mk 3 CVT is much quieter and smoother at 19000 miles that it was at 200. In fact when I first got it I was a little disappointed by engine noise compared to my fully in Mk 2.
I am not saying it won't get better once it gets more miles on it. Just that it was smooth and refined, with no cabin rattles, as I would expect from a new motor. My GD5 has almost 100,000 miles on the clock, and some days sounds like a bag of bolts. Mind you, the other day I was sitting at a set of lights and I thought the engine had cut out. The rev counter said it was running, but I had to blip the throttle just to confirm it was still going.

Tags: