Author Topic: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?  (Read 201332 times)

guest6811

Re: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2017, 02:24:08 PM »
Hi all I've got a 06 plate 1.4 auto mainly used for school run getting 42.6 but on longer runs getting 49.2 if we get stuck going into town (a lot of start stop up to 20 mph then 38.??)

guest4219

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2017, 11:32:00 PM »
02 Plate CVT. 43000 miles.
Over the last 850 miles the on board indicator is showing 47.1 mpg.  That's with more long runs than usual. Ordinarily it's used for local shopping, when we get circa 40  mpg.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2017, 04:20:36 PM »
Topped up today, after a fortnight of my usual driving, which included my MOT and a 3 mile queue on the motorway, and was amazed and delighted to achieve 60.3 mpg. It shows what the warmer weather does. It has also been thundery and humid here, which is supposed to lead to greater engine efficiency.
Never had such good mpg figures since I parted with my FIAT 126, many years ago.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2017, 08:27:53 AM »
Yesterday I had a trip to Danderhall and then into the centre of Edinburgh. My return was just as the traffic began to build for rush hour, and my 45 mile trip took 2 hrs 40 min. However, I am delighted to report that my mileage indicator is still showing 58.9 mpg. But what a nightmare of a journey. I know many of you will experience that on a daily basis. I really miss my Automatic in traffic like that.

guest6981

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2017, 09:54:52 PM »
I'm getting around 52mpg from my 2007 1.4 DSI SE manual which I'm pretty pleased about  :D

That's a mix of town and motorway driving.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2017, 12:24:58 PM »
Since fitting my ScanGauge E I have been gleaning quite a bit of information regarding my motoring.
Today was my usual motoring day. I drove my wife to her work, first thing, returning home after, then picked her up at the end of her shift. The miles are all in town, a couple of sets of traffic lights each trip, reasonably busy traffic. Other than cold or poor weather it cannot get much worse.
Here are my figures for today's motoring.

Distance travelled: 8.0 miles
Petrol used: 0.16 gallons
Cost of petrol: £0.80
Average mpg: 49.7 mpg
Average speed: 17 mph
Max speed: 32 mph
Maximum revs: 2576 rpm
Max coolant temp: 77°C

Not too shoddy in my opinion.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2017, 03:58:23 PM »
Jocko,  How does the Scan Gauge E work out the cost of the fuel, do you have to put in the petrol cost or does it use a ball park figure, if so what ?

Vic.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2017, 06:03:38 PM »
Each time you top up the tank it tells you how much it thinks you have put in. If necessary you correct that figure (after initial calibration it should be pretty close). It then displays the price per gallon from the previous time. You either save it of correct and save it. So that way it knows you have 9 gallons of petrol (in the case of a GD5), and it cost £5.11 a gallon or whatever.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2017, 09:51:20 AM »
Just done a top up this morning, the first since fitting my ScanGauge so I was able to set the calibration.
366 miles, 26.79 litres, 62.1 mpg. Not bad, since I have been back to the daily town journeys this past week.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2017, 09:42:07 PM »
More ScanGauge info for today's run.

Distance travelled: 93.9 miles.
Average mpg: 57.2 mpg
Average speed: 34 mph
Max speed: 57 mph
Maximum revs: 3431 rpm
Max coolant temp: 85°C

This was mainly dual carriageway with come B road and a bit of town driving. Temp was about 18°C
but it was windy and heavy rain with standing water. On the return journey the traffic was really slow, mainly I guess due to the heavy rain. That always slows the traffic down (no bad thing). I was really quite pleased with these figures, though I find it rather difficult to get the mpg up on dual carriageway/ motorway driving.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2017, 11:07:43 PM »
After a few more little jobs done on the Jazz, including the squeaky clutch and tightening a few things up under the bonnet, we all went visiting family today and I thought I would reset the trip and see what how the mpg played out.

Four of us and the dog in the car, 50 mile round trip, steady run on mainly rural roads. Display showing 53.7 mpg on return, not too bad I thought!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2017, 07:21:59 AM »
Filled up the tank today after almost 3 weeks driving.
Car's fuel consumption gauge said 59.6 mpg
ScanGauge said                           57.1 mpg
Calculated (and accurate reading) 59.1 mpg

Considering we are now back to the daily grind, with most of my miles in town, 4 miles at a time and a cold start each time, I am really pleased with that.
This time I filled up with 97 RON Super Unleaded (Sainsbury's), to see if it makes a difference. It may be all in my head, but on the three miles back from the filling station the car seemed to have a bit more oomph. As I said. probably all in my head.
I added a half bottle of Redex Petrol Treatment to the full tank. That's the third tankful I have done that, but so far it doesn't appear to make any difference. After I use the other half of the bottle I think I will give it a miss.
What I did notice is that the ScanGauge, using the OBMII data, had calculated that I had driven 9 miles less than the odometer said I had. There does not appear to be any means of calibrating that.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2017, 09:09:50 AM »
This time I filled up with 97 RON Super Unleaded (Sainsbury's), to see if it makes a difference. It may be all in my head, but on the three miles back from the filling station the car seemed to have a bit more oomph. As I said. probably all in my head.

I don't think you are imagining it. The extra octane should give you a bit more power, and you correspondingly require a fraction less throttle opening for any given driving situation, which should increase your mpg slightly. Anecdotal evidence suggests in some engines, it can balance out the extra cost at the pump, as well as the obvious benefits of the car being smoother to drive. A mate of mine swears by it, he reckons he gets 5-10% more mpg.

I think Redex had a use when engines had carburettors and weren't so clean burning. Nowadays, engines run so cleanly - when did anyone last de-coke an engine? I've took heads off modern engines that have done 100K+ miles, and they're as clean as a whistle. Fuel tanks don't seem to collect the same deposits in the bottom either, that must be down to improved fuel quality.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2017, 09:16:04 AM »
I had a £2.50 off voucher for my petrol (I got one a month, for the year, after insuring with Sainsbury's Bank), so it actually worked out cheaper than 95 RON from either Morrisons or Asda. I don't think Morrisons do 97 RON, here in Kirkcaldy. Not sure about Asda.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2017, 12:25:11 PM »
I don't think you are imagining it. The extra octane should give you a bit more power, and you correspondingly require a fraction less throttle opening for any given driving situation, which should increase your mpg slightly. Anecdotal evidence suggests in some engines, it can balance out the extra cost at the pump, as well as the obvious benefits of the car being smoother to drive. A mate of mine swears by it, he reckons he gets 5-10% more mpg.

I think Redex had a use when engines had carburettors and weren't so clean burning. Nowadays, engines run so cleanly - when did anyone last de-coke an engine? I've took heads off modern engines that have done 100K+ miles, and they're as clean as a whistle. Fuel tanks don't seem to collect the same deposits in the bottom either, that must be down to improved fuel quality.

I regularly used to swop between 95 and 97 when I was doing long daily commutes and did notice both the smoothness / liveliness and mpg improved on higher octane, and presumably higher octane was keeping system clean as well,  it was a good test because daily commute replicated distance and traffic conditions and because it was all year round it also covered different ambient temperatures  and humidity etc.

People still see redex as a substance to remove carbon from engines,  but that would be when you tipped it into carb and filled the whole road with smoke for an hour.  It is now called 'fuel system' or 'injector cleaner' and its job is to dissolve the gum / lacquer that dinosaur juice can leave behind when it evaporates,  low annual mileage cars used on short runs are most prone to injectors getting clogged (like limescale clogs holes in your shower head) - It is always worth a try if having problems as it is fairly cheap and easy to use.  I use it in my mower and motorbike as a 'fuel conditioner',  especially over winter and find that they start easily after a layup (they never used to),  also sometimes put some in our cars,  when my wife did mainly short local journeys it seemed to improve mpg and general running.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything