Author Topic: Gizmos on the Mk 3  (Read 5976 times)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Gizmos on the Mk 3
« on: February 04, 2020, 06:43:19 PM »
I am considering buying a Mk3 but see that they have a variety of 'driver aids' as standard such as, speed limiter, forward collision device, traffic sign recognition, intelligent speed assist, high beam assist, stop/start and lane departure.
Can any of these devices be switched off permanently ?

Vic.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
Re: Gizmos on the Mk 3
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 06:55:18 PM »
get an S model it cuts down on all those things and you get a proper volume knob on the radio too (not a touch screen slider)

the only thing the S has got that you mentioned is stop/start (i always push the button to turn it off, but if you forget it does start right up instantly with no delay at all) and speed limiter which you have to turn on youself so not problem there

i got my S for the same reasons you are saying, i had all those gizmos on my yaris so i thought i would go back to honda for my third honda car

as a bonus they dont have the special valves in the tyres like other manufacturers do for pressure but use abs instead which saves a lot of messing about

also its got the same engine and gear box as the SE and EX models

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 07:02:53 PM by monkeydave »

Bellasdad

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Honda Jazz S mk3
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 07:27:04 PM »
Exactly the same reasons I went for the S model, no fancy bells or whistles, just the right amount of tech that suits me fine.
I can even live without the alloy wheels, if a wheel trim gets scuffed all four can be replaced for 30 quid.
I do like the cruise control and obviously air con is a must nowadays both of which the S has, along with 4 electric windows.
Who could ask or even want for more ??  :D

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 07:40:50 PM »
Exactly the same reasons I went for the S model, no fancy bells or whistles, just the right amount of tech that suits me fine.
I can even live without the alloy wheels, if a wheel trim gets scuffed all four can be replaced for 30 quid.
I do like the cruise control and obviously air con is a must nowadays both of which the S has, along with 4 electric windows.
Who could ask or even want for more ??  :D

exactly lol  :D

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 08:26:37 PM »
Vic.
 They can all be turned off/ not used/ ignored.....
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 10:38:06 PM by Dayjo »
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 10:34:01 PM »
I'm not sure that you can turn off forward collision protection, but I think the sensitivity for the alarm can be changed.  Why turn off emergency braking - it's there in case you have a black-out or fall asleep?  The sign recognition is just information, and in my experience only recognises some speed limits, and doesn't control the car in any way.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 10:43:39 PM »
The sign recognition is just information, and in my experience only recognises some speed limits, and doesn't control the car in any way.
If you have the speed-limiter on, does it not control that?

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 08:10:02 AM »
The sign recognition is just information, and in my experience only recognises some speed limits, and doesn't control the car in any way.
If you have the speed-limiter on, does it not control that?
There are two speed limiters, both of which are off by default (ie you have to specifically turn them on when you want them).
The “normal” limiter is one you set manually to a speed of your choosing. Very useful in motorway roadworks with average speed cameras.
The “intelligent” limiter takes its setting from the sign recognition system. Good idea in principle, but the sign recognition mis-reads the signs too often for comfort. Personally I find it has similar usefulness to a chocolate teapot.
Neither system actually controls the car, if by that you mean removing the need for driver input. Both prevent you accelerating past the set speed, although I believe you can override by flooring the accelerator (not tested this myself). Below the set speed, you just drive and control the car normally.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 09:58:19 AM »
The 'Normal' speed limiter, is tied in with Cruise control and will control the car, in that if you set a speed, lets say 5 mph above your current speed, the car will accelerate up to that speed and then maintain it, as long as required.
Touching the brake, or hitting the 'off' button will deactivate it instantly.
I use it for the vast majority of my motoring and as others have said, for maintaining speed limits, it's very useful.

Lane departure, is permanently switched off, also stop/start, when I remember!!
One of my pet hates is seeing rows of glaring brake lights when stopped in traffic, but don't get me started on lack of consideration for your fellow motorist generally, I guess it's the times we live in.

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 03:23:44 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I considered the 'S' model but used ones with CVT are as rare as rocking horse manure locally.

Vic.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 03:26:03 PM »
The 'Normal' speed limiter, is tied in with Cruise control and will control the car, in that if you set a speed, lets say 5 mph above your current speed, the car will accelerate up to that speed and then maintain it, as long as required.
Bit puzzled by this comment, your car must behave differently to mine!
Cruise control (CC) and the Speed Limiters (SLs) are operated by the same set of buttons, but have quite different functions.
CC operates as you suggest by controlling the throttle so as to maintain a set speed, but you can exceed that speed using moderate gas pedal, eg if you need a higher speed temporarily in order to overtake.
By contrast, when using the SL you still need to control the throttle yourself, but it acts to prevent you exceeding the set speed by closing the throttle when you try (and sounds an alarm if you do so accidentally, eg when going downhill).
I don't believe you can have both CC & SL operating simultaneously.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2020, 04:21:36 PM »
You can also set the speed limiter to use the speeds from the sign recognition system, but I found that to be a real pain, as you can't accelerate again until after you've passed the end of the speed limit - most frustrating and it infuriates following drivers!  But for VicW, you have to opt in to these things - they are off by default.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2020, 04:28:56 PM »
When I had the loaner I found that the speed limiter was on and reading the signs. I had no idea how to cancel it so just pushed the accelerator down. It beeped at me but sped up anyway. Just a bit more resistance to pedal.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2020, 04:54:25 PM »
I tried the speed limiter but found it annoying and never use it. Lane departure warning very irritating as it can go off when you don't expect it so I turned that off. The forward collision thing is OK and, in my car, it will apply the brakes at low speed to avoid a collision. Not sure if you can turn it off.

I had the SE spec but find going back to climate control with the EX is an upgrade. It does work well on this car and I don't find the touchscreen controls as irritating as I thought I would.

But I think the advice to buy the S if you don't want the toys is very sound. I have a neighbor who always gets the top spec in any car he buys but doesn't use half the stuff. He managed to change the language on his touchscreen to something Eastern European and he got a sat nav included but never goes further than Tesco!

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2020, 05:48:58 PM »
I must confess, ColinB to being a little confused. Having thought about again, I find I never SLs, but use CC all the time where possible. I think like peteo48 I would find SLs really annoying.
Never use Lane departure, or High Beam Assist, but do use Collision Avoidance & Parking distance control.

Tags: