Author Topic: Oxidation marks on engine? anyone else go it?  (Read 1155 times)

tomreys

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 Jazz
Oxidation marks on engine? anyone else go it?
« on: June 09, 2019, 09:53:05 PM »
Looking to purchase mk2 Jazz, Went to look at 2 today, and both had some kind of white oxidation marks on the whole engine block/some other parts , one was 6years old car with barely any miles and other was 9years old with 2.5x more miles but was a total junk with engine problems  -both had the same whiteish marks of some sort of oxidation..

Is this normal for MK2 jazzes? Or I somehow just saw 2  bad cars in a row?
Is this a problem? when I check the engine of my Old mk1 Jazz I can see few tiny specs of similar oxidation marks but not to the extent. Actually thinking of getting the first car so just wondering.

I have seen such state on a 20+year Old civic I once got but that was totally falling apart and rusted out junk, yet I'm seeing the same scene on almost a new car here..
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 09:55:23 PM by tomreys »

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Oxidation marks on engine? anyone else go it?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 10:10:01 PM »
Are they seaside cars by any chance? Or maybe engines have been washed with some unsuitable substance.

Car engines made from magnesium alloy to save weight, but they do show white corrosion marks.

https://autocar-tips.com/tips/How-To-Minimize-Corrosion-On-Magnesium-Aluminum-Engine-Parts-Part-3-41350/
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 10:15:22 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

tomreys

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 10:14:33 PM »
Are they seaside cars by any chance? Or maybe engines have been washed with some unsuitable substance.
Have no idea..
One of the cars hasn't been used for 2years straight - left outside in rain etc with 0 use & ventilation , inside mould etc, everything else very crusty, but the car itself mechanically was in excellent condition and the price was sweet.
So I was thinking that it might have just gone like that from being forgotten about..
But than I saw the next jazz Who didn't had such problems to it but outside of the engine looked exactly the same!
So just wondering, is it ''normal''?

tomreys

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 12:44:28 AM »
Ok I looked on autotrader at a lot of cars just now where they show the engine bay, and seems like almost every one of them has it?

See how the 4 manifold pipes - I have no idea if thats their actual name, are all wonky looking and looks oxidated with white crust on them.
I guess my title was wrong as I was just referring to those and not the whole engine itself.
example:

Is there anything to worry about it? It just looks way off and only on a few year old cars looks ''unacceptable''

« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 12:47:13 AM by tomreys »

tomreys

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 12:53:41 AM »
another example where those pipes just look off

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 09:46:54 AM »
See how the 4 manifold pipes - I have no idea if thats their actual name, are all wonky looking

The manifold looks fine to me, they're not supposed to be straight.

The oxidation is only on the surface of the casting, it's no problem in itself. If excessive, it can be a sign that the car has done lots of short runs, or has been a seaside car at some point. I would be more concerned about the amount of rust underneath the car, you have to get on the floor and have a look.

tomreys

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 01:07:28 PM »
I didn't mean straight, just the oxidation on them..  :P
Had a good look at the underside of the car ( drive up a curb) and it was very clean underside (almost no rust anywhere).

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 05:10:10 PM »
Had a good look at the underside of the car ( drive up a curb) and it was very clean underside (almost no rust anywhere).

That's the main thing to worry about. The white oxidation is just where the condensation has been sat on the casting, if the car hasn't been run, or has only done very short runs, it will never have got warm enough to drive the damp off. I would give it the oily rag treatment if it looked particularly crusty.

You may find that the brakes will need a strip and clean, a bit of corrosion and the pads can soon get tight in the calipers if they don't get exercised. Give it a test drive and made sure you don't have any warm hubs.

Tags:

anything