Author Topic: Water Shortages and Car Cleaning  (Read 1831 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Water Shortages and Car Cleaning
« on: May 30, 2020, 11:58:40 AM »
Where I live the water company is United Utilities. Whilst there is no hint of a hosepipe ban I got an email from them asking us to economise - full dishwasher, water plants in morning or evening, top up rather than refill paddling pool and "Let the car get dirty if you can."

The floods earlier in the year seem a distant memory (although not to those affected by them).

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Water Shortages and Car Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 01:54:58 PM »
The water companies in normally wetter parts parts of the country tend to have relatively limited storage. We've generally had a dry spring so the reservoirs are now emptying. A couple of very wet weeks could fill them again but maybe our current dry spell will continue (less variable weather is one of the forecast consequences of climate change) and there will be serious restrictions.

I lived in south Wales when there was severe rationing (ie the water only flowed in the pipes for a few hours per day). In early September we were told that it would need a wet winter to refill the reservoirs. Then the person in charge of the weather realised that rain was overdue and by the end of September the reservoirs were overflowing.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

DomnicZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 1.4 SE MK1
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 06:00:37 AM »
Hey.
You’re right. Hosepipe bans seem looming on the horizon in some places.

I use a 5L (spear and Jackson) hand pressured crop sprayer(£10 on amazon)  to  spray the dust off, then use a soapy sponge followed by a rinse and wipe. Works perfectly and uses about 10L of water for the Wash and rinse ( about the same  as 1-2 toilet flushes)

I think it’s a good idea to save water even when there isn’t really a shortage!
My Jazz: 2004 CVT

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 09:46:13 AM »
I have quite a lot of Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax left from last year. It's a product that divides opinion and, the first time I used it, the initial scrape like feel freaked me out. Since then I use a pre spray of the ONR and that gets rid of that.

The wash mitt glides over the surface and the lubricity of the product is excellent. It "feels" safe.

FordPrefect8

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2012 EX 1.4 Manual Red
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 10:12:53 AM »
I use a 5L (spear and Jackson) hand pressured crop sprayer(£10 on amazon)

Why did I not think of it!? Genius!!!

Tags:

anything