Author Topic: Radio not working in 2003 Jazz  (Read 26657 times)

SideBurns

• Registered Member
Radio not working in 2003 Jazz
« on: August 19, 2016, 09:04:47 AM »
Hi.

New here! I'm looking at buying a second hand 2003 Jazz from an independent dealer. It's in good external and internal condition (apart from some rust/corrosion on the underside of the sunroof) but the radio doesn't work. The display comes on when pressing the power button, but there's no sound (despite the volume being turned up) and none of the buttons (tuning etc) do anything - the LED display stays fixed (apart from the volume indicator). I didn't have a CD to test whether that worked.

This seems to be a fairly common problem (see: http://www.howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=211168) but I wondered if anyone here can confirm exactly what it is that needs doing to fix it as there are several references there to different components and not having the unit in front of me I can't quite visualise what's what?

Will I need a radio code once I've had the radio out? Again, I've seen some threads that suggest I would and some that I wouldn't.

I'd be looking at installing an AUX cable at the same time while the radio and headunit are out (I've found an excellent guide to that here: http://hondakarma.com/guides/headunit-removal-and-putting-in-aux-from-fl-in-pfl-jazz-gd.1642/).

Many thanks in advance.

jonathan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4SE
Re: Radio not working in 2003 Jazz
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 11:32:31 AM »
Great to hear you are buying a Jazz, I would be more worried about the rust Underneath the sunroof. There are so many Jazzes out there I would walk away and find another one. How bad is the rust.

Sorry if this is negative, but there are so many very good Jazzes out there, anyone with rust I would not touch... Unless it can be easily fixed.... One my travels I see very few bad Jazzes...

Jonathan

guest1372

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 02:09:39 PM »
No codes needed on this model.
Probably easiest/simplest/quickest to just switch the unit with a salvaged one.

Key point with headunit is to undo the two 8mm hex screws underneath and push from behind.

I'm tempted to make up some aux adaptors maybe with inline Bluetooth if there were a demand.

Check for rust around the battery tray & behind the front bumper, signs of leaks into the spare wheel well, and listen for rear wheel bearing noise at speed. Get low and look at radiator & a/c matrix condition through lowest grill.

Manual will be cheaper to run than CVT as service cost is lower, but check for noisy gearbox in 1 & 2. In neutral with bonnet up does gearbox sound change when operating clutch.
--
TG

guest5589

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 03:06:23 PM »

I'd be looking at installing an AUX cable at the same time while the radio and headunit are out (I've found an excellent guide to that here: http://hondakarma.com/guides/headunit-removal-and-putting-in-aux-from-fl-in-pfl-jazz-gd.1642/).

Many thanks in advance.

If you look closely you will see that the guide was done using cable/port supplied by TG as mentioned at the end of that guide ;)
"Many thanks to TG from ClubJazz for supplying the port and the info that made this DIY possible." lol

With regards to what things to look for, basically all what TG has mentioned but also during test drive give it a bit of beans in 1st and 2nd to see if the acceleration is linear below and above 2800 rpm (switch over point between sequential and dual ignition during hard acceleration) apparently points to the rear bank of coils which if weak result in a marked step in the acceleration.

My 2003 SE has sunroof which has no rust at all and I have never seen one with it so maybe worth looking for another one. At this age, no matter what the history, rear wheels bearings, front droplinks and other suspension parts might become noisy anyways so you can use these as bargaining chips, parts are cheap if you don't mind eBay or EuroCarParts (£25 for bearing, £15 of droplink, £27 for wishbone etc). Walk away from ones with gearbox noise as its not worth the hassle. (£300+cost of new clutch)

Plenty of cars around so take your time.

One last thing. AC. check if it works, if you are bothered i.e. as fixing it with new parts costs alot.

guest5168

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 04:35:37 PM »
Anyone have the actual FIX for the Radio? Mine is not working as well, and I believe for thousands of other cars it has stopped working,there has to be a way to fix it?
Swapping for a junkyard one is not an option since I'm not in UK where they are rather cheap (£30 from ebay) , I could ship it from UK at no expense to me but.. It won't fit since it's very slightly different for LHD and RHD cars..

guest5589

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 05:16:30 PM »
Anyone have the actual FIX for the Radio? Mine is not working as well, and I believe for thousands of other cars it has stopped working,there has to be a way to fix it?
Swapping for a junkyard one is not an option since I'm not in UK where they are rather cheap (£30 from ebay) , I could ship it from UK at no expense to me but.. It won't fit since it's very slightly different for LHD and RHD cars..

I haven't looked into why they stop working but maybe swapping the backend bits on your front panel will solve the issue of RH vs LH.

guest1372

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 09:11:38 PM »
What he said ^^ (author of the guide linked above), the radio looks the same and symmetrical so you could just swap parts, you can remove the circuit board if you really wanted.
--
TG

SideBurns

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 02:14:52 PM »
Hi all,

First, I just want to say thank you. I've read quite a lot on this forum and have learnt so much before I even own the car - you truly are a friendly and knowledgeable bunch!

Secondly, the comments from Jonathan and Legend-ary about the rust on the sunroof have given me pause - I don't want water leaking through the roof! I've seen three Jazz's now (2002 50k, 2003 80k and 2005 90k) all for around £1,500. They've all driven fine with no odd noises, looked in good mechanical condition and had working AC. The 2002's mileage was attractive (and it already had an aux cable!), but was in poor cosmetic condition inside and out. The 2003 one was the one with the broken radio and rusty sunroof, but otherwise in good condition. The 2005 one was a bit so-so, with odd things broken and scuffed and I didn't like the colour. So given what you've said I've decided to hold fire as I can wait another couple of weeks until I really need one. There's another 2002 model with 70k just come available in the same price range which looks in good condition, so I'll go take a look at that.

Third, thanks very much to TG and Legand-ary for the comments about the radio. TG, depending on what I eventually go with, I might be in the market for an inline bluetooth aux adaptor! Sitefive, the website I linked to in the first post does give a fix for the radio, which involves soldering on the circuit board and maybe a couple of new (cheap) components, but without having a Jazz to poke around in I can't be any more specific about what needs doing.

All the best.

guest1372

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 03:12:42 PM »
Condition over mileage every time, not a problem fixing the £50 things it's the unfixable or £300 items that give a pause for thought. No signs of rust around my sun roof either (parked outside it's whole life), that one must have had a blocked drain tube at some point.
--
TG

guest1372

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 08:59:01 PM »
It won't fit since it's very slightly different for LHD and RHD cars.
The back end looks symmetrical, so should be compatible between LHD & RHD fascias.
--
TG

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest5168

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 02:16:54 PM »
that's just stupid to chop up 2 units and try to make 1, I'm 100% positive that there will be some thing which will be out of the way and you wont be able to actually do so+ Ain't nobody got time for that..

I have seen people on ebay offer the service to fix the radios ( you send it to them and they send it back fixed) However at a cost of £70-80 I'm not going to do that either...

Checked the link OP gave: http://www.howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=211168

which talks about soldering in some new ROHM BA08CC0WFP-E2  chip which costs £4 , I got solder and could probably do that myself if it is the thing.
But surely there is someone who has actually fixed his old unit and can tell what to do exactly?

guest1372

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 02:52:52 PM »
that's just stupid ... Ain't nobody got time for that..
OK then whatever suits you best;  buy voltage regulator chip, remove and dismantle radio, solder in: Fixed. (Probably)

http://www.ebay.pl/sch/i.html?_nkw=BA08CC0WFP
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=BA08CC0WFP
--
TG

guest5168

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 03:44:14 PM »
well seems like I will try that first, 2euro part which I will get to pick up next week.
Just a simple soldering in new voltage regulator sounds much easier and way less painfull than buying whole new radio unit and trying to swap over the guts of them( that is.. If it's even possible)

SideBurns

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 08:33:39 AM »
Hi all.

Just to say that I've put down a holding deposit on a 2003 Jazz with 73k on the clock and that has a working radio so I'm afraid I won't be able to comment on how to get the radio working, but in time I will be looking to add an aux cable.

Thanks again.

J985

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Sport 2002
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2019, 05:04:10 PM »
New to forum,

My 2002 Jazz radio frozen radio only, CD works fine and sound coming out. Reading forum I need to get a new ROHM BA08CC0WFP-E2 part thingy and solder it in.
Not good with DIY, any volunteers around West Yorkshire to do mine, or recommendations of places to sort it cheap.

Thanks all

Julian

Tags: