Author Topic: Dash Cam Hardwire Installation  (Read 19182 times)

BigRon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar
Dash Cam Hardwire Installation
« on: August 27, 2020, 01:32:25 PM »
Just come back from the auto electrician who was going to fit the hardwire kit for my NextBase dash cams (front & rear) and there is a problem.

Apparently new Hondas and Renualts if you try to either tap into an existing connection or use one of the spare fuse spaces it will causes faults to be reported and possibly cause a total shutdown of the car.

To prevent this a canbus adapter is required to solve the issue. He said that this is becoming more and more the norm as manufacturers don't want independent auto electricians to install accessories.

I advised him that I had orginally made a booking with Halfords to do the work (10th September) to which he replied that Halfords had been passing this type of work to him once they realise the issue. Need to cancel Halford booking.

He is looking for a suitable canbus adapter and he will get back to me hopefully tomorrow.

Oh the joys of owning a new Honda.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
Re: Dash Cam Hardwire Installation
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 01:56:34 PM »
If there is a canbus adapter, that's good. But I was thinking possibilities to remain undetected by the car systems. If the dashcam is powered from the same fuse as 12 V accessory outlet there is no way the system knows if it's the dashcam or some device plugged in to the outlet.

BigRon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 02:17:31 PM »
You may be right but I have a horrible feeling that the canbus systems are getting smarter all the time.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 04:02:16 PM »
If there is a canbus adapter, that's good. But I was thinking possibilities to remain undetected by the car systems. If the dashcam is powered from the same fuse as 12 V accessory outlet there is no way the system knows if it's the dashcam or some device plugged in to the outlet.

+1

I agree,  the Canbus system,  has 'nodes' that control individual bits of equipment that communicate with the controller modules via a two core bus cable, the power can be supplied in same cable ( 4 core with two heavier power conductors and two light data cores ) or a separate cable.  If you plug something into 12v power that comes from battery and not via the controller the system will not know what is plugged in as there is no data cable to controller from the device.  CAN bus compatible on LED bulbs purely means that the LED has to draw the same current as the filament bulb it replaces or the node supplying the bulb will see too little current and think bulb has blown,  - normally a resistor in parallel with LED does the trick,  some LED bulbs sold as CANbus compatible have a resistor built in. 

LED bulbs have constant current power supplies built in ( LED works on current not voltage ) some cheaper LED bulbs without filters can introduce interference into the system though,  which may affect CANbus data transfer, so some CANbus compatible bulbs can have extra filtering in them as well as a resistor.

Interesting piece

http://blog.ecobd2.com/tech-support/automotive-can-bus-system-explained-instruction-diagnosis/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 04:34:04 PM »
But the Aux power socket will power anything from a phone charger to a tyre pump/compressor so I don't see how it can be on the Canbus system.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 05:01:52 PM »
My Nextbase dashcam has been happily using the 12V socket. However, that socket has no power when the vehicle is switched off whereas a hardwired camera could have a permanent supply which might be what could upset the vehicle if it constitutes an unknown power drain.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 05:33:10 PM »
My Nextbase dashcam has been happily using the 12V socket.
As does mine. Plus the Garmin and GPS speedometer. Not that mine has Canbus. It uses wet string and cloth-covered cable.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 05:36:14 PM by Jocko »

BigRon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 06:29:41 PM »
Any hardwiring of my dash cams has always been on a switched supply since I am now retired and don't use the car every day. At the moment my dash cams are powered by the power socket next to the USB sockets, might have consider running that cable behind door pillar cover and headliner but I do prefer the hardwired route.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 11:11:00 PM »
It could be hardwired to the rear of the power socket.

BigRon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 11:32:25 PM »
That's how it was done by my dealer on my last Honda which I didn't know about but they are not keen on doing it this time and I think it means that the centre console would need to be dismantled to get to the back of the power socket.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 09:39:38 AM »
That's how it was done by my dealer on my last Honda which I didn't know about but they are not keen on doing it this time and I think it means that the centre console would need to be dismantled to get to the back of the power socket.
So can the electrician connect to the cable between the fuse and the socket assuming that the power relay is between the battery and the fuse)?

BigRon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 04:23:58 PM »
Not keen on the idea of splicing into any cables as if anything went wrong with the electrics, Honda would more than likely point at the splicing and void the eletrical warranty.

If the connections at the back of the power socket is by 2 spade connectors then the use of piggy back connectors would solve the issue of splicing BUT in order to get to the back of the power socket means stripping out the whole centre console (had a look earlier this afternoon and it will not be an easy job).

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 09:10:26 PM »
Is it possible to piggy-back on the fuse for the aux socket using something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Circuit-Piggy-Back-Standard-Blade-Holder/dp/B017O0QHZU ?

BigRon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2020, 12:10:24 AM »
Is it possible to piggy-back on the fuse for the aux socket using something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Circuit-Piggy-Back-Standard-Blade-Holder/dp/B017O0QHZU ?

I am still waiting to hear from the auto electrician but from our conversation on Thursday the answer would seem to be no. The piggy backs shown on the amazon website are identical to what is supplied as part of the NextBase hardwire kit.

Megansbob

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar EX
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2020, 08:36:58 PM »
My Nextbase 522 (front and rear) is hardwired via a piggyback connector and was fitted by a qualified auto electrician

Tags:

anything