Author Topic: What does Air Conditioning Service (Up to 2016) mean?  (Read 4944 times)

Pdp.cousins

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 i-vetch ex
What does Air Conditioning Service (Up to 2016) mean?
« on: March 14, 2018, 07:03:51 PM »
What happens to models after that’s?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: What does Air Conditioning Service (Up to 2016) mean?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 07:24:52 PM »
Properly carried out an air con service is more than a regas.
The refrigerant in the system should be removed and measured for quantity. This lets the operator know how much is missing and is an indication of whether the system has a leak although there is no indication of when the system was last serviced.
The system is then recharged with the correct amount of refrigerant including a lubricant to keep the components healthy and is then checked for leaks by seeing if the system holds its pressure.
If there is a leak a dye can be injected to assist locating the source of the leak.
Ideally an aircon system should be serviced every two years although modern systems can probably go to three years.

Vic.

Pdp.cousins

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 07:56:16 PM »
Properly carried out an air con service is more than a regas.
The refrigerant in the system should be removed and measured for quantity. This lets the operator know how much is missing and is an indication of whether the system has a leak although there is no indication of when the system was last serviced.
The system is then recharged with the correct amount of refrigerant including a lubricant to keep the components healthy and is then checked for leaks by seeing if the system holds its pressure.
If there is a leak a dye can be injected to assist locating the source of the leak.
Ideally an aircon system should be serviced every two years although modern systems can probably go to three years.

Vic.
Thank you very much for the info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 10:55:00 PM »
I would guess that the significance of the date is the change in type of gas used, and I think the problem is that a lot of places can't deal with the new gas, so Honda's ingenious solution is simply to drop the requirement!

https://advancedmotorcare.co.uk/news-and-events/122-vehicle-air-conditioning-gas-changes

Pdp.cousins

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 12:28:42 PM »
I would guess that the significance of the date is the change in type of gas used, and I think the problem is that a lot of places can't deal with the new gas, so Honda's ingenious solution is simply to drop the requirement!

https://advancedmotorcare.co.uk/news-and-events/122-vehicle-air-conditioning-gas-changes
Thanks Rory, that all sounds a pain to be honest.

Thank you for your time though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags:

anything