Author Topic: Honda Jazz - Notchy Steering  (Read 3003 times)

guest7100

Honda Jazz - Notchy Steering
« on: August 27, 2017, 06:57:56 AM »
Good Morning all

I just purchased a 2005 Honda Jazz 1.4 SE with 67000 miles. In excellent condition. I have a question regarding the steering. It seems to feel very Notchy and would like to have this sorted ASAP. May I ask what the cheapest cure will be for this problem?

Many thanks

Ingelsman

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Honda Jazz - Notchy Steering
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 12:26:42 PM »
If purchased from dealer/garage return the car for repair or refund, you have 30 days to return under the laytest UK legislation.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 01:11:30 PM »
If you bought from a dealer put complaints to dealer in writing,  either letter or email as soon as you can - don't rely on phone calls or verbal complaints as they will just fob you off until your buyers rights have expired - a paper trail is invaluable when it comes to later action to prove that you did in fact complain within the period. 

In the words of the immortal - 'a verbal complaint is not worth the paper it is written on.

Buying from a dealer gives you maximum rights,  buying privately it is a case of 'sold as seen' - you really have no rights............. (you can go to court but it can be costly).

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-3656701/What-consumer-rights-buy-used-car-goes-wrong.html

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 01:20:48 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 02:44:48 PM »
I think Ingelsman actually wants to know what is causing it and what to do about it.
Welcome Ingelsman.
There was another post, recently, concerning vague steering, but I am blowed if I can find it. Get the alignment checked and check for worn ball joints on the steering linkage. Both these could affect it. And check your tyre pressures.
If the person who started the first thread reads this, please respond.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 02:55:02 PM »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 09:35:09 PM »
Yes, that was me.

I bought this Jazz with badly scrubbed front tyres. There was lots of paperwork with it with recent bills for tyres and tracking alignment. The steering had the common notchy feel, and reluctance to centre.

The tracking was a mile out. A new pair of tyres and fixing the tracking has improved the car no end. It's still not what I would call perfect, and it still feels a bit dead around straight ahead, but it centres better and feels more 'normal'. It is something I will be taking a closer look at, at some point.

If you read other threads about this, the only satisfactory cure currently seems to be a replacement rack.

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 12:09:58 PM »
Paul, If your talking about having to constantly alter the steering wheel a little when driving straight, that's what they are like. It's due to the electric power steering; however you soon get used to it; you know it''s there but you tend to ignore it and accept it. I would say personally this is the only beef with these cars, the rest is pretty near perfect. :)

Mike.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 01:56:49 PM »
I'm sure they were not like that from new. There are quite a few threads complaining of this fault on here, and those that have had new racks fitted under warranty have had the issue completely resolved. I also gather that the mk.2 doesn't suffer from this issue.

I've driven a few cars with electric power steering, some have that lack of road feel, but some feel perfectly normal. None have had that really notchy, sticky feel that the Jazz had when we acquired it, almost a 'rubbery' resistance to turning the wheel, and of course the reluctance to centre. As I say, it's tolerable now, but far from 100%.

That's the best description I can come up with, it feels like the steering column shaft is turning inside a rubber bush.

I agree about the rest of the car,  damn near perfect for a small car.

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 05:11:58 PM »
Mine's not that bad Paul; it's just not like other cars with hydraulic power steering; I'd certainly complain if it felt rubbery, or like driving a boat!

Mike.

Tags: