Author Topic: 2006 jazz, shudder pulling away, knocking under deceleration and turning.  (Read 5717 times)

Jonplane

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2006 1.4 dsi cvt7
Hi just bought a 2006 jazz cvt7. Love the car but have a few probs need sorting. Firstly a shudder pulling away. I think this is something to do with the autobox. Hopefully just a gear box oil change or cvt flush? Also a intermittent knocking, which seems louder when lifting of throttle, seems to vibrate though throttle too. Also volume seems increased when turning right. Any ideas, also where should I take it to be repaired, I live in luton, beds. Any advice gratefully received.

guest1372

Drain and refill the CVT with genuine Honda CVT-F fluid, then do that again a while later, you will need two 4l containers and end up with a bit spare.
Knocking sometimes comes from a replacement exhaust rubbing on the body but has sometimes been an engine/gearbox mount.
--
TG

Jonplane

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
Thanks, is changing cvt fluid something I could do myself, or garage job. Regarding the knocking is from drivers side front of car.

guest1372

There are often discussion on here about CVT fluid changing, it's quite easy only thing you need is a 3/8" square drive to undo the drain plug I think.  Probably similar difficulty to an engine oil drain & refill.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=6465.0

The other sounds that start to appear on old Jazz are heat shield rattles, but they are often RPM dependant.  Someone else may chip in with suggestion about drop links but you should also take a quick look at the front arm lower bushes, make sure they don't look like the pictures attached.
--
TG

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jonplane

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
Thanks TG, I will let you know how I get on.

Jonplane

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
I took the jazz to my garage this morning, turned out to be loose wheelnut causing knocking. I had a local garage to the seller change a tyre and mot car on friday. The question is what should I do about this. Seems to be negligence on the part of the garage that changed the tyre and mot the car?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
At the very least I'd phone them up and tell them about it. If they are unpleasant, point out that the DVSA would probably be interested in MOT stations that cannot tighten a wheel.

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
Loose wheel nut is MOT Fail as well. Trucks actually have them tested with a dolly hammer MOT time.

culzean

• Approved Member
Personally I always check wheel nuts after I have had tyres fitted etc.  Always checked oil on dipstick, air filter, oil filter etc after service  (when I once had a service contract and Honda did servicing for a while, won't fall for that again ) - once when I got the car home after a service I dipped the oil and it was black, checked air filter,  black with leaves in it - went into house to phone Honda dealer and phone rang- it was them asking me to take my car back as service had not been done,  I said I know I just checked the oil - turns out they had cleaned it before doing the service,  it had been parked in 'finished' queue and receptionist had called me to pick it up WTF.   Call me paranoid but I don't trust anyone who has done work on my car - after all I am the one driving it and I want to know things are OK.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
There are far too many out there who can smell a layperson, and are more than happy to take advantage. Some don't know what they're doing, and can end up charging you for unnecessary work.

If you can't do the work yourself, use personal recommendation to find someone who can be trusted.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
At the very least I'd phone them up and tell them about it. If they are unpleasant, point out that the DVSA would probably be interested in MOT stations that cannot tighten a wheel.

I'm pretty sure that wheels are not removed for an MoT so it was presumably the tyre change that left the wheel loose and I don't think that individual wheel nuts are checked during an MoT either.

Vic.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
The wheels wouldn't be disturbed at the MOT, but there is no harm in threatening them with the DVSA, if they get uppity. I would imagine they would either be apologetic and say they will point problem out to the apprentice who did the job, or say they were fine when they checked them and suggest someone in the street had slackened it off!

culzean

• Approved Member
I would get the wheel studs and the holes in the wheel checked,  they could easily have been damaged by driving around with nuts loose (the holes in wheel can go oval, and the studs may have been chewed away) I would get a replacement wheel off garage and make them check studs, or get another garage to check them and make a report.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jonplane

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
My local garage said all 4 wheel nuts were loose. I have informed the garage that did the work, they said they will respond tomorrow, as the manager was not available today. I will keep you all posted. By the way is there anyone local to me (luton) who
Could give me a hand doing a cvt fluid change?

guest5079

Many years ago when I was a lot keener than I am now, my Wife bought me a torque wrench. Whilst our local tyre firm uses a torque wrench to tighten wheel nuts.  Whenever  wheels have been removed I always check the torque to ensure it is correct to manufacturers spec. Over tightening especially with alloys is not good practice.
In the past after having 4 new tyres fitted, I got home to find ALL four wheels were only finger tight.
Who can you trust these days?
It is easy to criticise but many years ago when I worked in  a garage, I was doing an oil change on Pa in Laws mini, when  an emergency came in so off the ramp went the mini, when I finished the emergency, I realised I had driven Pa in Laws mini off the ramp with no oil in the engine!!!!!!!!!!! So easily done when one's concentration is broken. Yes, I did tell him and he  just laughed.

Tags: