Author Topic: Changing rear Brake Lines- Is there kit you can buy/direct replacement?  (Read 5673 times)

guest6436

I got a MOT failure for ''rusty'' brake lines, I think they made advisory because the day before MOT I bleeded my brakes  and there were Oil all over + maybe slight rust color in few places on them, but they certainly haven't even started to rust or are actually faulty. I tried to polish them up with sandpaper and with just a few swipes they come up  nice.
However wondering If I should just change that exposed brake line part since they have made a FAIL out of them to please the MOT station?

Does anyone knows if they sell a direct replacement brake line for this part which you can swap over or you need to buy copper pipe and make it yourself?

This is the part I want to change:

Thanks in advance.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
A non-dealer garage would most likely make this from pipe off the roll.  The hoses seem to be available as pattern spares but not the fixed pipes.  All cars of a certain age suffer from this so it seems wise to apply a coating of grease to fixed pipes annually (probably just prior to MOT time as inspection is visual).
--
TG

culzean

• Approved Member
Won't ask how bleeding the brakes got fluid on those pipes ? The rear pipes are a problem on MK1 because last 150mm of pipes had the plastic outer sheath removed by Honda from new and they are a regular fail.  An advisory is not a fail, just a note to 'advise' the owner and something for examiner to look at next year.

If you polish the pipes with sandpaper that will remove the zinc plating and encourage rust to attack the steel.

I don't know if a kit is available but a flaring tool is required to fit a piece of new pipe as the end of old and new tube needs to be flared to make it fit securely into fitting.  Copper alloy pipe is the way to go, basically no need to worry about it corroding in future.

If you get dealer to do it it will be £180+ for 1 side,  don't know if they do discount for both being done at same time.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 09:49:01 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
As a price benchmark, Lings charge £21.82 (inc VAT) per side for genuine Honda pipes.

I don't know what car accessory shops / motor factors are like down your way, but many years I go I could just pop down the local one and they'd make one up off the roll there and then.

guest6436

• Topic Starter
Well I usually check over stuff like brake pipes if they doesn't look iffy, this time I forgot to do it, had to change ABS unit, bleeded the brakes through the night and the damn oil was flying everywhere,not even sure if it was anywhere close to the brake pipes but I'm sure there were some oil marks left somewhere , didn't had time to check over and off it went to MOT :(

But thanks, the stuff seems super cheap so might as well just change them to avoid problems in future.
Anything else other than flaring tool you need to change them? + copper pipe and the male/female connectors

I was thinking about getting these 2 items.
Flaring tool:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MultiWare-Metric-Flaring-Repair-Cutter/dp/B01M1V755W/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1489701363&sr=8-7&keywords=brake+flaring+tool

and the pipe with connectors

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BRAKE-COPPER-UNIONS-METRIC-FEMALE/dp/B00FLVNZPK/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Changing rear Brake Lines- Is there kit you can buy/direct replacement?
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 09:38:58 PM »
I was thinking about getting these 2 items.
Flaring tool:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MultiWare-Metric-Flaring-Repair-Cutter/dp/B01M1V755W/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1489701363&sr=8-7&keywords=brake+flaring+tool

Sorry to bump an old thread, but if anyone is reading this and considering one of these cheap anvil-type flaring tools, please don't waste your hard earned - they are junk.

The only cheap flaring tool that is worth buying for brake pipe is a type sold as a Franklin Tools AF2003, you can sometimes find the same tool sold under other brand names a pound or two cheaper. You will also need a small rotary pipe cutter for a few pounds, and you're away!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 10:00:26 PM »
For £40 it is worth the money. The company I work for sells all the fittings and pipe for pennies.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 10:26:47 PM »
Indeed Jocko, the pipe and fittings are peanuts, the investment is in the tools. The Franklin tool is a copy of the old one I use, a mate has one of the new ones and it makes perfect flares, just like the old tool.

With care and plenty of grease, it will also flare steel pipe if you need to make a union half way.

Tags: