Author Topic: Can anyone with OBDII reader tell me what temp their fan kicks in?  (Read 3214 times)

guest1372

Crawling up to the Rotherhithe tunnel (1.2 miles in 1 hour) in 30° weather I noticed my radiator fan was not kicking in as I would expect.  Coolant temp is mostly about 87° - 88°, same as it is on the motorway; thermostat seems to be doing it's job so no danger of overheating but I'm wondering if the coolant-temp-fan-switch is OK?  Shorting the connector makes both fans run, so they are OK, but removing the switch is not something I want to do while I'm in London.

Can anyone with an OBD reader tell me what temp their fans start at? Part specs seem to indicate that it might be 93° or 95° but the situation just seems a bit weird to me.
--
TG

guest5589

• Topic Starter
Re: Can anyone with OBDII reader tell me what temp their fan kicks in?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 02:45:16 PM »
I can certainly have a look but by the sounds of it I will need to go for a drive to get it up to that temperature?

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 03:20:59 PM »
Just crawling along on a hot day should get the fan going right?
--
TG

guest5589

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 03:49:42 PM »
I have actually never felt the fan come on. I will have to go home to steal wife's android to pair it with my ELM as the wired OBDII doesn't feed live data. Will update you tomorrow.

guest5589

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 08:47:48 PM »
Sorry haven't gotten round to checking the temperatures but will do this weekend when i will be going on a trip.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 12:32:43 PM »
Not to worry, I think it must be 95° according to specs, and the car just doesn't seem to get that hot.  I wonder what the karma folks think?
--
TG

guest5589

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 01:51:01 PM »
I'll try and find out

guest5589

• Topic Starter

guest6230

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 11:26:55 AM »
Your fan could be coming on, if it's a two speed fan you might not hear it with the engine running.

Tags: