Author Topic: gurgling sloshing sound from bulkhead  (Read 4315 times)

philskynet

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 si
gurgling sloshing sound from bulkhead
« on: September 18, 2014, 07:08:36 AM »
hi all
just got my jazz 1.4 SE on 16/8/14 private sale !!..drove it 11 miles back home no problem..next day drove it about 5 miles and noticed the temp light (red) blinked a couple of times fan was going crackers...I also noticed a gurgling sloshing sound of water when I was at a standstill whilst lightly revving the engine sound was coming from the bulkhead area....hopefully this is air in the system but any advice would be appreciated

guest4324

Re: gurgling sloshing sound from bulkhead
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 10:03:10 AM »
Welcome!
  First of all you need to check the coolant water level is ok, preferably when the engine has really cooled down, and top it up as required. I know on my mum's Jazz (2004) the fan also runs a lot even though coolant level is ok.
 Secondly have a look around the engine bay and see if you have any signs of water leaks. If the water pump is leaking you often see the white dried residue on the underside of the bonnet where it is sprayed up. With the engine running have a look to see if you can see any water spraying/running out anywhere.
 Check the hoses to see if any look split or degraded.
 I wouldn't think air is getting in to the coolant system, possibly just the previous owner never topped it up, and the low level of coolant starts boiling.
 Just keep an eye on the level over the next days because normally you shouldn't need to top it up again if the system is watertight.

philskynet

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 04:06:19 PM »
Hi
Thanks for the advice
This morning i warmed the car up a little then took the rad cap off and topped up the water.. Then revved the car a few times... Noticed there was air bubbles and the water level was dipping, in the end the car took half a litre of water and the gugling sloshing noise stopped... Also the fan seemed to just come on for around 5 secs and then go off whereas before it was staying on.. Theres no sign of leaks anywhere so maybe it has been run around with less than the required amount of water in for a while

guest4078

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 11:44:38 PM »
Glad it seems to be sorting itself out.
However, if I were you, I would drain the system and refill with Honda coolant as soon as practical and certainly before the winter sets in. £25 worth of proper coolant now is a cheaper investment than cooling system or engine problems later on.

philskynet

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 07:19:06 AM »
yeah..to be honest it was a quick fix that seems to have sorted it for now but I will be investigating it further just incase there is anything more serious and most definitely draining the system  :)

Tags: