Author Topic: Jazz 1.4i Exhaust - Cat Bolt/Nut Removal.  (Read 6115 times)

guest4884

Jazz 1.4i Exhaust - Cat Bolt/Nut Removal.
« on: July 09, 2014, 06:24:07 PM »
Hi Guys,

Quick query on a 2003 Jazz 1.4i I am trying to prepare for an MOT.

The middle section of the exhaust after the Cat is leaking near one of the support plates so it needs replaced.

The 3 studs/bolts that hold this centre section on to the Cat look well disintegrated so they are not going to be unscrewing again in their lifetime and from what I can see the studs look captive in the Cat when new....

My query is can these 3 bolts just be removed by burning/grinding the stud head and thread of at both ends and just hammer the remaining bolt through the centre to clear the hole and just use a new nut & bolt for the re-build with the new centre section of exhaust?

Thanks for pointers!

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Jazz 1.4i Exhaust - Cat Bolt/Nut Removal.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 10:27:13 PM »
My wife took her GD to have centre and rear sections of exhaust replaced last year,  the mechanic was happy to do rear section but said centre was OK and they didn't normally mess with it as getting the CAT bolts out and joint apart normally resulted in the innards of the CAT breaking up = new CAT = £200+

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4884

• Topic Starter
Re: Jazz 1.4i Exhaust - Cat Bolt/Nut Removal.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 02:14:06 AM »
My wife took her GD to have centre and rear sections of exhaust replaced last year,  the mechanic was happy to do rear section but said centre was OK and they didn't normally mess with it as getting the CAT bolts out and joint apart normally resulted in the innards of the CAT breaking up = new CAT = £200+

Yup - What a crap design and poor quality of components!

I changed my leaking middle exhaust tonight in preparation for MOT tomorrow.

For info for anyone else doing this in the future - The studs/bolts in the Cat are extremely poor quality so the chances are that by the time the exhaust needs replaced then the studs/bolts & nuts will already be too disintegrated to be of any use. I used a hand grinder to grind the 3 nuts off which then at least allows you to remove the centre & back exhaust boxes from the car. I then set about trying to remove the remainder of the 3 studs from the Cat. Removing these is not the easiest as they are firmly splined and welded on to the Cat. I then ground the heads & welds off the 3 studs on the Cat with my hand grinder again and tried hammering the studs through as hard as I reckon the Cat could stand but no joy. I ended up drilling the studs/bolts out in small stages up to a 9mm hole size to easily handle my replacement M8 bolts and washers I used to rebuild the system. The other complication that I found was that the wiring for the Lambda Sensor is fairly tight so it was a bit of a challenge to get access to drill out the highest stud on the Cat and not damage this wiring.

The jobs definitely not the nicest but it is do-able and if care is taken the Cat can be saved - It would just be so much easier if Honda had used copperised studs or even just nuts and bolts that could be replaced. (I can see why a number of dealers or independents would just replace and charge the customer for a new Cat rather than go to this hassle of removing these studs/bolts the way they are designed)

I would also recommend having access too or buying a high quality set of drills before tackling this unless you have access to some sort of burning equipment to just burn out rough holes in the Cat flange.

Tags:

anything