Author Topic: Advice please! Jazz keep cutting out whilst driving, poss cat block?  (Read 12983 times)

guest2913

From going though the haynes manual to find out why the car was cutting out whilst driving the only box left to check off was blocked cat as they is no pressure coming from the back box!
Honda want a grand for parts plus fitting, kwik fit are wanting 500 all in and national tyre centre told me to, to go in tesco and buy petrol additive and it will clear the block cat if failing this a new one is at least 300 pounds!
be adding petrol cleaner basically clean a cat out! or was i talking to a numpty?
What would anyone else do? I've found cheap ones of uk shops for just over 100 pounds.
any advise would taken in, its an expensive hit if something else is wrong!
things I've looked for
Plugs worn out - fine
vacuum pipes - fine
EGR - fine
petrol breath pipe - fine
exhaust fumes - smell bit fuuny but not sure
exhaust back box pressure - bit on the low side
engine compression test - yet to be done!

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
Is the performance sluggish?

Is the fuel consumption high?

What sort of driving / use does it get?

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Air filter
Blocked fuel line
Faulty fuel pump
EGR valve/inlet manifold blocked with carbon..

guest2913

• Topic Starter
put it this way a friend who didnt know the car had this problem has said it seems slow to get up to speed! and it is using abit more than normal
The filter been cleaned and i've cleaned the EGR valve and made sure it wasn't sticking and when i put my hand over the tail to make it pressure up, flat nothing much really happens and the tip has gone black and i clean them every sunday to keep them shining!
I've had a screw on the ejectors to listen into them and seem okay nothing out the blue.
A friend who owns a garage has told me to buy the additive and give the thing a rag down the A19 at 60 to 70 and it might clear it throat out if not he thinks the cat has gone pass its sell by date!

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
Don`t put a fuel cleaner in it, instead put a premium fuel in.
If really want to use fuel cleaner use Wurth.
Take off the intake manifold and clean the canal on no.14 part, picture.

guest2913

• Topic Starter
Mmmmm dont have a clue check everything im starting to lose my mind coz cats arent a cheap to buy to find the problem hasnt gone!

guest4078

• Topic Starter
I used a £100 cat from the 'bay and it was fine.

If you think it is an exhaust problem then test it from the rear forwards until you find the blockage.
First, take off the back box, if you get a good exhaust from the back of the centre section, it is the back box. If not take off the centre section and see if the exhaust is good at the back of the cat. Be aware that that joint may be a 'slight' pig to break. At the end you will know where the blockage is/is not and you won't have to spend cash upfront. Also, you will have done the worst of the job by remounting the sections of your system.
Lots of plusgas, a cracker bar or a grinder and a couple of hours work, lovely.

guest2913

• Topic Starter
Well I got so annoyed I spent the whole bank holiday working on the car with no hope I got so feed up I check for leaks with no luck I lost my tempure and hit the cat about 4 times shouting abuse and checked the throttle wire for play which i did and its running a lot better at the momment mpg was 37 now 45

guest4078

• Topic Starter
Just goes to show that a large hammer and a few choice words are all you need to fix a car!

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
Not quite. Also needed are cable ties and gaffer tape. :D

guest2913

• Topic Starter
Re: Advice please! Jazz keep cutting out whilst driving, poss cat block?
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 02:19:04 PM »
Well it started again!
we own two jazz's 2006 model both automatic and they still cutting out but start up straight away without turning the key, its makes abit of bump when it start when the car is driving, we're at a lose end, is it the auto box, or the fuel filter blocked, blocked cat or is it something simple like blahhhhhhhhhhh a lose connection, looks like a trail and error with an expensive bill haha!
Will post back with the results soon! :D

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 04:29:26 PM »
Hi, not a Jazz expert but sounds like the ignition is cutting out (loose wire type thingy) and when it returns it bump starts hence the bumpy bit you get. I assume at speed the auto box will allow a bump start but I confess no expert on the Jazz. Be interesting to know what dash board lights you get, if they all come on but no engine ignition then it's most likely somewhere in the ignition circuit. (Just guessing), good luck!

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 04:18:17 PM »
Before anyone can diagnose any fault, are the cars fully serviced to Honda specifications?

guest4857

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 06:57:47 AM »
I had the same bit of a problem. With my car it was the sensor of the camshaft. Give it a try?

jazzista

• Registered Member
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 02:32:17 PM »
Before anyone can diagnose any fault, are the cars fully serviced to Honda specifications?

I stopped bringing the Jazz to Honda service after first oil exchange. Notwithstanding my reccomendations, I found the oil level well ABOVE maximum.

Enough said...

Ste

Tags:

anything