Author Topic: How to negotiate?  (Read 6792 times)

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
How to negotiate?
« on: July 08, 2013, 09:37:08 PM »
I have had my Jazz for 6 years now and it has been reliable and faultless in all that time, in fact it is the longest I have ever had a car. So now that it is time to change I can think of nothing better than another Jazz. My local Honda dealer has a 2 year old car at about the price I want to pay. I have checked online and the price they are asking is average for the year. I will not be trading in my current car so I will be a cash buyer. I intend to have a test drive soon.

I am seeking advice on how to proceed when it comes to talking money. The salesman will be a trained and skilled negotiator, I am not. Do I ask for a discount for cash? Do I make an offer, then what do I do when it is turned down? Or do I ask him for his best price? If anyone has expertise in this area I would be grateful for guidance or tips on the best way forward.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 10:50:38 PM by Pine »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: How to negotiate?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 10:40:37 PM »
I think you should ask for a discount for cash but be aware that, these days, dealers often make commission on finance so it isn't quite the bargaining chip it was in the past.

But your biggest bargaining strong point by far is the fact that you have no part exchange. From the dealer's point of view he gets his profit immediately rather than having to offload a part ex vehicle. This is something you should push hard.

Incidentally - I'm no expert but these are just things I've picked up over the years.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 12:06:08 AM »
Dealers are often more willing to throw in extras than give cash discount. These extras may be worth more to you than it costs them to include....like servicing contracts, parking sensors, or even floor matts. have a look at available  Honda accessories to see if any of them are worth something to you, so worth asking about.

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 11:54:41 AM »
I've bought a few cars before and have negotiated on behalf of my sister, my friend and my wife when they all bought their Jazzes, and managed to get quite a lot knocked off the asking price so here's a few of my tips on buying. Not in any particular order, just what comes to mind… but hope it helps.

1.   Do your home work. You need to spend quite a bit of time knowing everything there is to know about the car you are looking to buy so that no one can BS you. Know the spec of the car, included options, cost of extras you would like, cost of ownership, road tax band, cost of tyres (sometimes the size of tyre is not readily available - my BMW 135i uses tyres that only a couple of manufacturers make!). Given that you already own a Jazz, this shouldn't be too difficult. Do a reccy at your local dealership make sure you're familiar with the car, go for a test drive to make sure it is definitely the one you want. Make sure you know the OTR price of the car, and perhaps a variant of the same car – sometimes they may have a similar one to the one you want that they can offer at a discount price.

2.   Buying a car at the end of the month is usually best, as dealers have to meet their targets which means you have better negotiating potential. Better still, if you can wait, buy one just before the reg number changes. They change in March and September each year, so dealers will be looking to get rid of old stock by Feb and Aug – which is the best time to bag a bargain.

3.   Since you’re a cash buyer, you can do what I did. Set yourself a date when you will buy the car. Call up/Email the dealerships and make them aware that you are definitely going be buying a Honda Jazz this weekend (say), whoever gives me the best deal will get my business. Usually dealers are not prepared to give a price over the phone or on an Email. But will tell you that they will give you the best deal or you won’t be disappointed etc.. This is ok, but not what you want to know. Tell them that you have been booked in at another dealership and will call them before finalising the deal, but any counter-offer needs to be worth your while. I was lucky and managed to get one dealer to give me their best offer, which I took with me.

4.   Set yourself a budget, keep it to yourself and stick to it. Make a list of things you “must have” as well as a list of “would like”. E.g. air conditioning, metallic paint, rear parking sensors, alloys, electric windows, alarm etc. Not all Jazzes come with an alarm, so make sure you check that. As a rule of thumb, you can usually knock about £1k-£2k off the asking price of a typical new family hatch like this.

5.   Golden rule when negotiating a price, NEVER give away your budget. Nine times out of ten, the salesperson will always ask you this.. “just so I can help find the best car deal for you, can you tell me what your budget is…”. It’s a trap! Once you’ve revealed your budget, it will give them the upper hand, as they will know what you’re roughly willing to pay, so may not discount as much as they could.

6.   If at any point you feel that the negotiation is really not getting anywhere, or if the dealer is really unwilling to budge at all. Walk away. There are plenty of other dealerships around. Be prepared to travel a bit for a good deal.

7.   Look out for genuine 0% finance deals. Honda and Toyota did this in the Autumn last year for the Jazz and Yaris. These are worthwhile unless you prefer to pay it all off in one go.

8.   Research for known faults, recalls etc and ask if yours will have them sorted before you collect the car.

9.   Things people typically ask to have thrown in… genuine car mats, 12mths road tax, full tank of fuel. But for my sister, I also got them to throw in rear parking sensors, 3 years free servicing (any dealership). Parking sensors are expensive for the consumer, but are a relatively cheap add-on for a big dealership.

10.   When picking up the car, make sure you check and test everything before you take it away. Sometimes, though rare, there may be scuff marks on the car from delivery. Make sure all the bits that should come with the car or you agreed as part of the deal are there.

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 03:28:41 PM »
Very good article, CNJ.  Should be every consumer's bible

I say, "How much are you willing to let me have it for?"  It puts the sales person on notice that the sale requires some work on his part

Works for me, on everything from cars to stuff at flea-markets.  I don't bother haggling at a store in a mall, since the staff are usually so clueless, its all they can do to read the marked price.
If music be the food of love, play on

guest3895

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 04:55:40 PM »
The salesmen at my local Honda dealership work for a salary, not commission and I therefore find them much better to negotiate with.

Pine

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 09:09:05 PM »
Thanks for all your replies, the lengthy post from CNJ was especially good. I now have some ideas on how to proceed. I will let you know how I get on.  In the meantime any more comments are welcome.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 12:38:23 PM »
You are in a strong position - cash deal
It remains a buyers marker in the UK
My opening line at larger dealerships is "do you want to sell me that xx model car today?"
Check the service history and ask to speak to the previous owner any good salesperson will be happy to provide these details.
Ring around other dealerships in the area tell them you have  the same model spec mileage etc then ask for apart ex on demo car - this may provide you with a trade in value for your 'new' jazz
Also think about selling your own Jazz at BCA Sure Sell - no come back from private buyers who have purchased a used vehicle
Let the forum know how you get on
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 06:34:12 PM by olduser1 »

Pine

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 03:15:17 PM »
Thank you for all your suggestions on how to handle the purchase of my next Jazz. I thought I should let you know how I got on.

The 1st car I looked at was a Ford Fiesta automatic (with the old style auto gearbox not the new powershift). The published performance figures for the Fiesta are slower than the Jazz, however in the real world the Fiesta feels a lot faster and was nice to drive.  The downside was Road Tax of £170 per year and 25% worse fuel consumption when compared to a Jazz. Also the engine was evident at motorway speeds (3000rpm at 70 mph), the doors felt tinny on closing and the general ambiance and quality fell short of what you get in the Jazz.

So it was back to the Jazz. A Honda dealer not too far away had a one year old car at above average price. I thought there was a deal to done but they were unwilling to come anywhere near the price I was willing to pay. It was clear that we were not going to reach an agreement so I walked away from that one.

Jazz number 2 soon came up at my local dealer. A 2 year old car with low mileage advertised at a good price. I took it for a drive and we did some talking. For cash he told me how much he could take off the price, he reduced it by more than I was expecting so things were looking good. I felt that I did not have much room for manoeuvre as the car already a full set of mats and rear reversing sensors but I managed to get the next service included in the price, the deal was done.  Looking forward to being on the road soon.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 12:51:44 PM »
Good news , thanks for letting the forum know how you got on

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 09:26:08 AM »
Nice one  8)