Author Topic: How do I lock the car with my dog inside and not activate the alarm?  (Read 40800 times)

guest4132

I have searched the forums but not found this discussed.  You can imagine the scenario.  You have dog in car. You park somewhere in the shade and leave some windows open a bit at the top.  You need to pop into a shop for a few minutes.  How do you lock the car and not activate the internal alarm?   My dog is nervous enough without being traumatised by an alarm going off.  My previous cars have always had a switch or a specific procedure to inactivate the internal alarm but still lock the car.  Why is the Honda manual silent on the subject.  Surely this must be a common issue?

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Re: How do I lock the car with my dog inside and not activate the alarm?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 08:14:47 PM »
I assume locking the car using the key in the door lock still sets the alarm?

guest4132

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 08:51:27 PM »
HI, thanks for your reply.

The manual states:

"For the system to activate, you must lock the doors and the tailgate from the outside with the key or remote transmitter."  and
"The security system also sets after you lock the doors with the lock tab on the driver’s door while pulling the outside door handle"

On this basis I am assuming that the alarm sets however you lock the car.  So far I haven't been able to verify this as I haven't been able to be both inside and outside the car at the same time!  I believe models such as the CR-V have a specific switch to do the job.  Surely there must be a way of locking without setting the alarm?

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 09:32:13 AM »
You need to test the locking system - with a volunteer to sit in the car , then lock the doors with key and wait.

guest4132

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 10:16:27 AM »
The dealer from whom I bought the car has just been in touch to say that he has found out from Honda that the Jazz only has a perimeter alarm so movement inside won't cause the alarm to go off. 

I'll put this to the test shortly.

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
It is an immobiliser, not an alarm, so an animal inside, or leaving the windows open a crack won't affect it
If music be the food of love, play on

guest3906

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 08:47:49 PM »
Hi. if you have an alarm on the jazz it will be indicated by a sticker on the side windows . i dont know about uk or other country models but my South African model does have an alarm and immo . i tested it by having the bonnet (engine hood) open and keeping the micro switch on the bonnet latch closed , then i activated the alarm . you have to wait about 15 or 30 seconds for the alarm to activate , i then released the switch and the horn started to beep. the downside of the alarm system is that it does not have a ultrasonic or movement sensor. I tested it to see if it picks up any movement, it doesn't . with the absence of a ultrasonic sensor , you can leave your dog in the car while you have the alarm armed. if you press the arm button twice , it double locks your car which prevents a thief from breaking a window and using the unlock button to unlock the car. The downside is that a thief can break into the honda jazz and enter through a window without setting off the alarm system.

Tags:

anything