Author Topic: Wife bought a CR-V this week  (Read 3726 times)

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
Wife bought a CR-V this week
« on: May 29, 2013, 04:17:45 PM »
She had a 2006 BMW 325ti which is one of the most unreliable cars she has owned, compounded by the ill-trained and inept service agents.  It was in the workshop a total of 133 days, often to fix the same problem the 3rd or 4th time.

Anyway, after trying a Suzuki and a Civic, she decided on a 2013 CRV.  They are already being discounted by the dealer, which I found surprising, plus the dealer was not keen on a cash purchase, which made me think that they get commission from the loan company.  Managed to get rid of the "on the road" fees by supplying my own number-plates.

Anyway, a very refined car, extremely quiet, has bells and whistles that I never thought of, driving lights (a strip of white LEDs inside the headlamps) and the bluetooth radio works well, which to her is important.  Plus the car is easier to drive due to better visibility.

In SA, these cars are advertised at R 316000 but after some discussion, the dealer came down to R 291000 which is just under 8%
If music be the food of love, play on

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Re: Wife bought a CR-V this week
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 07:50:20 PM »
Those driving lights we call daytime running lights (DRLs) and they are now required on new models.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 07:34:33 AM »
Those driving lights we call daytime running lights (DRLs) and they are now required on new models.

DRL's are almost the new 'chav fog-lights' which come on all the time (but at least DRL's dim out when headlamps come on), maybe the European legislature now has some ex-chavs or even fully signed up chavs in their ranks.   What next? maybe the speakers for the ICE will be mounted on the outside of the car (election car style) so that they won't even have to open the windows to assault the eardrums of anyone within half a kilometre.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

chrisc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 09:04:40 AM »
If you have 3, 18" sub-woofers inside your car (as do many of the minibus taxis driving around) you do not need to open the windows to let the public hear.  You know when a taxi is approaching since the "duff-duff" of the bass can be heard 50 metres away.  Plus it is usually rap or hip-hop.  At least it keeps the passengers quiet, since they cannot hear themselves speak.  They just tap the driver or his assistant (called a gaartjie) on the shoulder when they want to get off.
If music be the food of love, play on

guest436

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 09:07:22 PM »

DRL's are almost the new 'chav fog-lights' which come on all the time (but at least DRL's dim out when headlamps come on), maybe the European legislature now has some ex-chavs or even fully signed up chavs in their ranks.   What next? maybe the speakers for the ICE will be mounted on the outside of the car (election car style) so that they won't even have to open the windows to assault the eardrums of anyone within half a kilometre.

I know someone with a RenaultSport Megane who was asked by the Police to turn off his fog lights...expect they're DRLs and not front foglights!

The best DRLs I've seen are on the Mk6 Golf and latest Polo - two neat lights in the headlight cluster, no flashy LEDs and they won't be mistaken for front fog lights. Ironically the worst offenders are fellow VAG stablemates Audi with their elaborate LED rings!

On some cars you can turn the DRLs off but I think the EU has (or will) outlaw this.

Tags: