Author Topic: 2013 Jazz Brake problem  (Read 18100 times)

guest4075

2013 Jazz Brake problem
« on: May 25, 2013, 11:14:44 PM »
Honda Jazz Brake problem?

Just had a smack on M1, car (2013 EX Auto, 950 miles on clock) just would not stop, it was as if I hit some ice but the road was dry and the temperature was at 16 deg. C, and in good condition. I was a about 55mph, cars in front stopped, I got down to below 20 mph and then nothing seemed to work, even though I had enough room to stop and, was, by now, standing on the brake! There was enough gap to stop from that speed, the road was good and the tyres 2 months old but at the last knockings, nothing seemed to work and bang! Any thoughts?

Jem

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz sport 1.4 In blue! :D
Re: 2013 Jazz Brake problem
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 12:06:34 AM »
Hope everyone is ok. But I would be getting the car straight down to the dealership to get it checked over to find out what the problem is! It could turn out to be something that a recall in needed for.

guest3858

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 07:32:15 AM »
My Jazz brakes does the same i have 27000 miles on the clock but i will upgrade my brakes disc and pads and my brake fluid soon
Sorry to hear about your crash hope you are ok!!

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 11:02:57 AM »
Could be Diesel spillage

guest3793

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 05:05:20 PM »
I would say something on the road too. With the ABS and if it was slippery it would feel that the brakes were doing nothing.
What was the reason for the traffic to stop, was it an accident? Something on the road could have been the cause of the accident or the result of an acident.
 There was a recall on some of the Jazz's (my 2010 EX was). This was to check that an "R" clip had been fitted to the top of the brake pedal (conects to the pushrod).
Was brake pedal travel and pressure normal?

guest4075

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 10:14:30 PM »
Hope everyone is ok. But I would be getting the car straight down to the dealership to get it checked over to find out what the problem is! It could turn out to be something that a recall in needed for.

Everyone is OK, thank you. Just my pride and the front of the car that were hurt. What worries me is that there was enough room to stop, and from about 55mph, down to 20 it worked well but then it stopped working as it should. There was no one more surprised than me when I hit the car in front as I was sure I could stop in time -hence this note.

guest3418

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 07:38:24 AM »
Is the car still driveable? I would have the dealer check it out completely and when you get the car back go to a quiet Road and try to make a couple of emergency stops to check it out yourself and regain confidence in the car.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-N7100 met Tapatalk

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 12:33:48 PM »
Glad to hear you're OK.

Was there any change in resistance to the brake pedal?
Any change in steering feel/weight?
Did the revs change?
Any 'jolt' or 'bang' or any unusual noise?

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 02:26:54 PM »
When the ABS engages there is a distinct shuddering, you cannot mistake it.  Was with a friend in his Volvo and a cow wandered into the road.  He jumped on the brakes and you could feel the car shuddering, but it did stop.  We were doing 130km/hr and the car stopped in about 5 seconds.
If music be the food of love, play on

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 04:55:59 PM »
In a Jazz auto it is possible to catch the throttle pedal while braking if you use right foot braking,especially in the haste of an emergency stop.
With a manual,in an emergency stop, you almost always depress the clutch as well hence disconnecting the engine.

Vic

guest3793

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 05:10:41 PM »
When the ABS engages there is a distinct shuddering, you cannot mistake it.  Was with a friend in his Volvo and a cow wandered into the road.  He jumped on the brakes and you could feel the car shuddering, but it did stop.  We were doing 130km/hr and the car stopped in about 5 seconds.

Yes, on a normal surface you wil get a quite violent shuddering though the brake (ecu cadence braking for you). On an oily or sheet ice surface this wont be so obvious. Although the cars abs will be doing the same thing.

guest3418

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 05:38:38 PM »
In a Jazz auto it is possible to catch the throttle pedal while braking if you use right foot braking,especially in the haste of an emergency stop.
With a manual,in an emergency stop, you almost always depress the clutch as well hence disconnecting the engine.

Vic
Doesn't the Jazz ECU give higher priority to braking? Most modern cars close the throttle when you press both the brake pedal and accelerator.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-N7100 met Tapatalk

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 06:34:59 PM »

Driving any automatic, I learned to left-foot brake. It didn't take long to adapt but while 'learning' you've got to practise being sensitive with the left foot which is used to mashing the clutch pedal to the floor.

For reasons of safer car control Honest John, among others, recommends it.

Once the 'muscle memory' was 'wired up' I  found I can drive either auto or manual without a reaction/reflex problem. From one to the other immediately. And back again.

Of course, you have to lift your right foot off the accelerator pedal.

By the way, that's 'just for info' and is NOT to suggest that car control was the reason for the OP's (shilt) shunt - it may have been caused by something else altogether.

guest4075

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 07:15:18 PM »
I would say something on the road too. With the ABS and if it was slippery it would feel that the brakes were doing nothing.
What was the reason for the traffic to stop, was it an accident? Something on the road could have been the cause of the accident or the result of an acident.
 There was a recall on some of the Jazz's (my 2010 EX was). This was to check that an "R" clip had been fitted to the top of the brake pedal (conects to the pushrod).
Was brake pedal travel and pressure normal?

You may well ask as to why someone stopped in the outside lane - it could be the 'wave effect'. Whilst there was a lot of traffic in the first two lanes, the outer one was less crowded and running between 50 and 60 mph. The road can't have been slippery as the car behind me was closer to me than I was to the one in front, and it managed to stop!
The brakes felt ok until the last few seconds when it felt as if they just stopped working. For the size of car, the discs are large and ventilated at the front, with solid discs to the rear. The EX has slightly wider tyres than the ES. I've rechecked the pressures and they are 'bang-on'.

guest4075

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 07:33:37 PM »
Glad to hear you're OK.

Was there any change in resistance to the brake pedal?
Any change in steering feel/weight?
Did the revs change?
Any 'jolt' or 'bang' or any unusual noise?

The only thing unusual was that the peddle feel seemed to change a few seconds before the bump and the car kept rolling forward without slowing to a stop, which is what it should have done in in the space available. It did not change direction, just did not seem to be braking as hard!

Tags:

anything