Author Topic: Steering noise 2002 Jazz.  (Read 2900 times)

guest4299

Steering noise 2002 Jazz.
« on: September 30, 2013, 06:07:29 AM »
Hi guys.. a new guy here..

I know that there are several threads going on steering noises, and I tried to go over most of them.. but I am not sure that this particular noise I am hearing is the same as in those posts.

A little background information, is a Honda jazz 2002, M/t, in the 1.3 petrol version (?), with 140.000 km on the clock. It drives perfectly good, with no vibrations, or noises, and feels very stable. the steering feels light, and it is returning properly. The problems is that when I am parked, or moving really slowly, whenever I turn the steering wheel, it sounds.. mmm I don't know how to properly describe it.. like a creaking noise.. I was hoping you guys can take a look at the youtube video I uploaded of it, and see if you can identify the sound.

I sounds the same when moving the steering wheel to both sides, and despite the handling is great, this sound is a bit worrying...

I appreciate your help and your comments. I have to take it tomorrow to the dealear to solve an issue with the AC, and I will point this issue out... but I don't have much faith in this dealer solving my problem.. so I would like to have and idea of what the problem may be.

Best regrads.

Diego

guest4288

• Topic Starter
Re: Steering noise 2002 Jazz.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 11:56:09 AM »
The position of the steering wheel can be raised and lowered by a lever to the left of the steering column. Press down to adjust - pull up to lock.  Have you tried lowering or raising the steering wheel and its effect on the noise? May be it made a noise because it wasn't properly locked into position.

guest4299

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 03:34:49 PM »
thank you for your response Jazzman2006.. I tried different positions of the steering wheel adjusting as you suggested, but sadly, the noise is the same in every position.

Any other ideas? thank you in advance guys and girls.

best regrads.

Diego,

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 07:34:54 PM »
I think it sounds like something rubbing -oo-err missus!
My old Hyundai used to do something similar, perhaps not quite as noisy, and it was the plastic cowling around the top of the steering column rubbing on the steering wheel lower part which seemed slightly eccentric- a small squirt of WD 40 fixed that one.
It might be worth looking in this area.

Tags: