Author Topic: honda new and old ......  (Read 4158 times)

guest2963

honda new and old ......
« on: February 05, 2012, 10:23:02 PM »
hi
my '02 Jazz and my husbands

1983 Triumph Accliam (honda civic)

8)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
Re: honda new and old ......
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 09:06:54 AM »
Very  8)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 08:51:34 PM »
http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/2011/07/23/the-cars-triumph-acclaim-development-history/

Here is the story of the Triumph Acclaim (Honda Ballade) - pity BMC didn't stay with Honda (they were first sold to British Aerospace, and then to BMW - who only wanted the 4x4 technology from LandRover - notice that the X3 and X5 came out as a result of BMW pinching ideas from LandRover)

Everyone at Rover could see that the BMW deal was just a stopgap and wouldn't last once BMW had got what they wanted, but the government of the day wouldn't let Honda buy Rover.  The engineers at Rover told me that ' the Japanese always wanted to help - the Germans just wanted to criticise all the time -
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest2898

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 09:49:18 AM »
Superb pics! nice jazz and also the acclaim... don't start me on those!! i had 3 in total, all 1983 models, two HLS and a L, i loved them to bits and they are what started my long love affair (and my neighbour) with honda.. i had the 213s after my acclaims (honda ballade again) then i had a rover 416si (92K reg) which was basically a honda concerto, which had a very strong 1.6 16valve pgmfi engine fitted, when i sold it, it had 147,000 miles on it, and it never let me down! it was still on its original clutch!! the last time i saw it, it had 164,000 miles and the owner said it was running like a dream... the last rover that had the honda engine fitted was the newer shape rover 400 series which later became the 45, but it only existed in automatic form.. it had the same engine as my 416si, the standard engine for that rover was of course the K-Series engine. When the 400 auto became the 45 with a tiptronic style gearbox, the honda engine vanished and was replaced by a K series... i only found that the civic style rover in auto form had the honda engine fitted by accident, a friend at work bought one (97 R reg) and when he opened the bonnet i could not beleive my eyes! my old rover was parked beside mine, i opened my bonnet... idendtical engine! he was well chuffed! of course, the 600 series had a honda engine fitted, as well as the 827, which was in V6 form... i have had 3 civics since and on my first jazz... all down to the rover/honda partnership... just as culzean correctly said in everything he wrote.. its such a shame honda did not buy rover, they would still be going strong today, making great cars too... very sad...

guest2963

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 09:59:05 PM »
yeah, my husband had a 213 too ..... nice car but it rusted away  :'(

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 08:37:44 PM »
If I remember correctly (I was only 13 at the time), Honda only wanted to buy (increase?) a share in Rover but British Aerospace wanted shot of whole operation?

guest2898

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 09:47:55 AM »
Thats correct richard... but i have been reading that when rover was going under during the phoenix take over, honda wanted to purchase the company, but was sold to the consortium for a pound... the rest, unfortunately is history...

Tags:

anything