Author Topic: Clutch judder on early GE  (Read 10320 times)

Rabiedmushroom

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 09 1.4EX Elite plus
Clutch judder on early GE
« on: January 26, 2012, 09:27:15 PM »
I bought one of the first 'new' Jazz GEs, and as you may have seen in other posts, apart from some very minor niggles I have been delighted with my EX and now covered nearly 60,000 miles in 3 years. Love it!

Has anyone else noticed a bit of clutch judder starting to happen with age / mileage? I'm finding in cold weather when I pull away at low speed it's starting to grab a bit, and slight judder. I am certain I'm not driving it any differently than normal. It feels mechanical, not hydraulics. I thought modern car clutches lasted a bit longer than this...and I can't see the point of revving up and slipping it when it hasn't needed it before.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
Re: Clutch judder on early GE
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 12:37:51 AM »
My EX has done 39,000 miles in 3¼ years. No clutch problems at the moment.

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 09:22:10 AM »
Mine only done 23k and certainly havent noticed anything

guest2865

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 02:48:24 PM »
Is the judder even worse when reversing?

Rabiedmushroom

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 09 1.4EX Elite plus
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 12:24:08 PM »
Jirams - yes on occasion.
It's intermittent, but more likely to do it when the car is cold, and on a colder day.
Most folks might just give it more revs and slip the clutch a bit, but I know something isn't as precise as it was say a month ago. Can the weather really affect it that much? I live in the mild West Country, not the icy wilds of northern Scotland.

Thanks all for any input - as with the manic variable serving I've experienced I feel my Jazz is a Honda test bed!!!

guest2865

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 03:37:08 PM »
Sounds exactly like the judder I had on my 2002 Civic from around 20k miles.  Started showing up in reverse and eventually progressed to 1st forward around 60k.  Distortion in driven plate or diaphragm spring is usual cause.  I learnt to live with it until car was sold on.  Had much worse judder on BMW 316i at much later mileages.

guest907

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 10:08:26 PM »
Mine has slight clutch judder only when cold, first thing in the morning when I pull out of the drive in first gear. Once the engine has run for a few minutes/gear changes the judder goes. I suspect its a clutch unit fault or maybe slight clutch disc contamination but I haven't done anything about it...23K miles.

guest1168

Clutch judder on early GE
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 07:18:15 PM »
I also noticed it recently on mine Jazz from 09 done 100000 km. Hopefully it's not a sign of any repairing needed. Greetings from Denmark.

guest3793

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 01:45:48 PM »
I know this thread is an old one. I have exactly the same issue with my 2010 EX 24,000 miles. It is going in on Monday for Honda to sort out as the warrenty runs out in a couple of months. It has been a very slight problem from day one but it was so slight I wasn't concerned and thought it would either stay the same or get a lot worse before the warrenty expires.
It is very intermittant and does it when the weather is cold and damp with a cold engine, it was really bad when I was parked on a hill the other day.
My only worry is that it wont "perform" for Honda when they try it. But seeing as it isn't just a problem with mine I hope that Honda will admit to knowing about it and putting it right.
I don't quite understand why it is only a problem under certain conditions..
I'll update on what they do, or don't do...

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 01:50:03 PM »
Damp on the clutch when cold.causes the clutch to slip momentarily.. Well known issue on some cars... Why only some? Don't know.

guest3793

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 05:39:55 PM »
Damp on the clutch when cold.causes the clutch to slip momentarily.. Well known issue on some cars... Why only some? Don't know.

Are you talking Honda cars? I've had many cars and being in the trade never heard of such a problem caused by the damp (you could be right, just not something I have heard of). Mine has been getting worse since day one so suspect more than damp.
Honda dealer have failed to find a problem when roadtested today. Athough when dropping the car off a salesman that took the key said "oh yeh, mine does that"...  :o

guest3733

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 12:53:04 AM »
I also have a bit of a judder with my late 2008 1.4 ivtech manual. However, it does not go away or get better after warm up.
Living with it but it is making the car uncomfortable to drive. Anyone tried Mr. Cutch for repairs?

guest3793

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 05:58:09 AM »
Clutch judder sorted. It was caused by a fault on the flywheel (high spots). The clutch and flywheel was changed under the 3 year warranty.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 01:59:19 PM »
Ours does this when first pulling away from cold - never really thought of it as an issue.

guest1232

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 03:32:02 PM »
Mine is a 2011 GE 1.4 with 12000 miles on the clock. It judders slightly when cold and damp but I put it down to condensation as my drive is North facing and gets no sunlight. Asit always disappears when it warms up I'm not too concerned about it.

Some cars seem to do it more than others, it might depend on whether the clutch housing is ventilated to atmosphere.

Ducati motorcycles used to pack up completely in the rain due to the same vented clutch.

Tags: