Author Topic: 2 years with a GE  (Read 4667 times)

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
2 years with a GE
« on: November 17, 2010, 03:34:33 PM »
I have now completed 2 trouble-free years with a GE 1.4ES manual.  18935 miles driven and 1786 litres of 95 octane fuel bought, mostly from supermarkets, giving 9.43 l/m or 48.2 mpg.  First registered in October 2008, it is my first Honda and I ordered it from the catalogue unseen and undriven, based on Honda's reputation.  The engine, transmission, handling, interior space and general "refinement" have been better than I expected.  The only serious disappointment is the jittery ride at urban speeds, but perhaps this is the inevitable price of good roadholding in a light car.  And of course the silly press-stud fastenings on the parcel shelf flaps are an irritation.

Two "free" annual services under the £550 5-year scheme have revealed corrosion of the rear discs, (discussed elsewhere under "alloy wheels") but this has so far had no noticeable effect.  Overall I am well-pleased and expect to keep the car for some years (unless they bring out a model with a more comfortable low-speed ride!)

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
Re: 2 years with a GE
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 03:55:39 PM »
Good to know  8)

I too took advantange of the 5 year service plan for £550 and I plan to keep the car a lot longer than that.

My previous car- Honda Civic Type R- had that for 7.5years trouble free motoring so I'm expecting the same/more out of the Jazz

guest1168

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 10:02:40 PM »
The only serious disappointment is the jittery ride at urban speeds

My only concern as well, but a rather big one unfortunately.

Rabiedmushroom

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 09 1.4EX Elite plus
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 07:45:41 PM »
Another satisfied customer here!  :D
My EX is also one of the first ones, coming up to 2 years old in December. My average mpg is also about 48mpg, over nearly 40,000 miles. The £550 service package has given peace of mind as I've had 5 variable services so far.

The only thing I would like to see improved is the climate control, I don't like the way after an hour it starts cycling between warm and blasting cold. Tell a lie, I hate the rear parcel shelf press studs too! And I wish there some more sporting options. Apart from that its hard to find fault with it, its been a super car so far.

guest671

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 05:18:23 PM »
I too have had my Jazz EX for 2 years now (being my second Jazz) and agree with the other comments. Just a few very minor niggles but nothing to spoil my enjoyment of this great little car - or, perhaps not so little. I hired a VW Polo 1.4 on holiday recently and although it was OK to drive, it was so CLAUSTROPHOBIC. It was so nice to get back to my Jazz, It made me appreciate it even more!

Tenrab

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 05:19:52 PM »
Hi Rabiedmushroom

My EX was also purchased at the same time so it is now just coming up for its second service.

Like you, "I don't like the climate control because the way after an hour it starts cycling between warm and blasting cold". This was very noticeable from the very start as of course it was winter, on long journeys my wife was always complaining of cold drafts on her feet, she resorted to wearing trousers with a travel blanket around her legs. Took it back to the dealer who carried out tests for two days and reported that all parameters for the climate control were in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications. My letters and the report was sent to Honda UK but heard nothing further. Had no complaints at all with the climate control during five years with my GD Sport!!!
I did post a topic at the time. I would be pleased to know if anybody else has had this problem on the first release of the GE, together with later models for comparison.
 >:(

Downsizer

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 05:29:26 PM »
Quote from: Rabiedmushroom link=topic=1598.msg6402#msg6402 date=1290109541
"My average mpg is also about 48mpg, over nearly 40,000 miles."

[/quote

With 40,000 miles, have new front tyres been needed?  Does anyone have experience of tyre life on a GE?

Rabiedmushroom

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 09 1.4EX Elite plus
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 05:36:38 PM »
To above ^
My EX had Bridgestones when it was delivered. The rears have just been changed at 40k miles. I changed the fronts to Dunlops at about 20k miles, now worn out, so gone back to Bridgestones all round. There's not a noticeable difference in performance between the two types, the choice was more to do with price and availability combined with fresh tread for oncoming wintery conditions. Hope that helps!

Do I have the highest mileage GE in England?! I feel like a test guinea pig at my local dealership :D Hahahahaha
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 05:39:38 PM by Rabiedmushroom »

Tags:

anything