Author Topic: Battery terminal T3 to T1  (Read 792 times)

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
Battery terminal T3 to T1
« on: September 09, 2022, 07:44:31 PM »
Ive got a general question.
If I'm going to change the Japanese battery version of terminal T3 in to the European T3 version, are there any special adapters for the change or the existing screw type terminal adapter should be okay for the change width wise?

Japanese battery terminals T3 is slimmer and the European terminals T1 (which Im hoping to get) is fatter. Tia

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Battery terminal T3 to T1
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2022, 01:46:58 PM »
I think you might be confusing terminals.  Japanese cars have smaller T1 terminals on the battery  and the car has T1 battery leads to match. .     European Batteries have bigger T3 terminal and the car has T3 battery leads.
Some batteries and cars have T posts which have a hole,and leads with a hole, and they are connected together  using a nut and bolt.

You can buy adapters to make a japanese T1 battery terminal  bigger so it will fit a car with T3 battery leads . Not ideal as there are now two points of contact that could corrode ,lead to adapter, then adapter to battery post ..

But to fit a larger T3 battery into a car with smaller T1 battery leads  you have to change the battery leads to T3.    You might be able to fit new T3  terminals to the end of the existing battery leads. There may be an adapter but again this is not ideal as there will be extra connections .     Better to replace the entire battery leads with ready made T3 ones.  (or Bolted post type leads if that suits an available battery. )

Converting a battery  from T1 to T3 and then changing the car  from T1 to T3  so it will fit  seems pointless
  unless the leads need replacing anyway.   

I hope this makes sense, and I havnt missed the point somewhere. 

« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 01:57:33 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
Re: Battery terminal T3 to T1
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2022, 04:15:08 PM »
As above, not exactly sure what you are wanting to do, but just to add that many replacement batteries (Yuasa etc) come with the smaller terminals and a split collet pushed over it to bring it up to the bigger size (avoiding any confusion with numbers). To fit the battery to a car with the big leads just use the battery as supplied, to fit it to a car with smaller leads then simply prise the adapter collets off.
Corrosion of battery terminals is seldom an issue these days (maintenance free batteries and no acidic venting contamination), if you are concerned a very light smear of dielectric grease or vaseline will protect them.

Of course you may already have a battery ready to install with fixed big terminals, in which case you know what you need to do.

Tags:

anything