Author Topic: I HATE RATTLES  (Read 5253 times)

Tenrab

• Approved Member
I HATE RATTLES
« on: August 23, 2010, 03:20:39 PM »
2009 EX - Had an annoying rattle from the hatchback area for a long time, but have at last pinned it down to the parcel shelf.  The rear of the shelf does not make contact with and be held in place by the hatchback, so as a consequence it vibrates against the bulge on the hatchback lining which houses the wiper motor.
RATTLE CURED - I slipped a 1m length of split rubber tubing (actually the rubber outer sheathing from 3 core electrical flex) over the rear edge of the parcel shelf. No fixings are necessary so no damage done.  Incidentally, this also provides protection from the rather sharp rear edge of the parcel shelf when loading the boot.
Nothing came up on a search, has anybody had this rattle?  I have seen a similar topic on the FitFreak forum.
Photos attached.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 03:33:14 PM by Tenrab »

dogbiscuit

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz 1.3 i-VTEC SE MT
Re: I HATE RATTLES
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »
A useful post but I haven’t heard a rattle from the back yet. It’s very disappointing that Honda have put a cheap rear parcel shelf in the new model Jazz. In my opinion the roller-bind load cover of the old model was superior and rattle free. And what’s with the droopy flaps of material between the rear seats and shelf plus the fiddly press-studs? The best explanation I’ve had is that it's to accommodate a feature we don’t have on the UK specification Jazz, reclining rear seats. Honda could have done better and supplied a better quality shelf, appropriately designed to match the specification of the car.

Tenrab

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 11:44:12 AM »
dogbiscuit, I totally agree with all your comments on the new Jazz parcel shelf.  It's not at all like Honda in my 34 years of ownership!  As the production line is being modified to change from I-Shift to CVT transmission among other things surely they could produce a UK spec parcel shelf for the Uk spec car, especially now the Jazz is being built in the UK.  COME ON HONDA

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 12:13:45 PM »
Ours has started squeaking loudly from the hatch door.  Removed the parcel shelf and it's just the same.

I've found that if I press on the door from the outside in the area of the H badge then it squeaks just the same.  

It's also devleoped a rattle which seems to be coming from within the dash.

Going in for its first service next week so I'll get them to take a look.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 10:35:26 PM by Rory »

csp

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Average 63 mpg
  • My Honda: Platinum White Jazz e:HEV SR 2020
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 08:46:20 PM »
The parcel shelf in my 09 reg ES rattled from new and so I used self adhesive rubber strip to stop the shelf rattling on the wiper motor cover built into the hatch back panel. The use of cable outer sounds like a better idea though.

The cheap parcel shelf in the Jazz is very disappointing but overall I am very pleased with the car.

Tags: