Author Topic: D or B!  (Read 11693 times)

guest9814

Re: D or B!
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2022, 06:16:54 PM »
So you use your brakes all the time to slow down  :D :D ;D
When driver gently used braking pedal only to complete stop the car brakes almost not used.

NoelM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2022, 06:47:58 PM »
So you are :D using engine braking to slow down without brake lights. No difference to driving in B mode.  :D :D :D

guest9814

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2022, 09:01:15 PM »
So you are :D using engine braking to slow down without brake lights. No difference to driving in B mode.  :D :D :D
When i say gently use brakes to stop car completely i mean coast to almost full stop then press gently the brake pedal.
Not always possible (traffic, tailgater`s and so on) when car coasts the speed of car  changes gradualy.
I now use B mode only when i have downhill on my way that allows me to recharge battery and will be needed strong engine braking.

NoelM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2022, 09:07:31 PM »
Coasting to a stop applying brakes for full stop is the same as B mode. No brake lights while coasting or B mode.
B mode is definitely not aggressive

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2022, 08:28:11 AM »
and can cause accidents with tailgater’s, in B mode stop signals not come on when accelerator pedal released !!!

Rubbish
That way this working on most hybrid cars if not on all, I know only one car that lighting up stops when driver releases accelerator  pedal - Kia Soul EV.
We have a Seat Mii Electric and that has four levels of regen, the brake lights can come on if using levels 3 or 4. The Jazz 'B' mode is quite a light retardation and probably equivalent to level 2 on the Seat. The level 4 slows the Seat down quite rapidly and I hardly ever use the brakes at that level.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2022, 09:07:16 AM »
When i say gently use brakes to stop car completely i mean coast to almost full stop then press gently the brake pedal.
Not always possible (traffic, tailgater`s and so on) when car coasts the speed of car  changes gradualy.
I now use B mode only when i have downhill on my way that allows me to recharge battery and will be needed strong engine braking.
Me too.  i only use B mode when I know a downhill stretch may fully  charge the battery by the bottom , when D might not .That saves fuel.   Once the HV battery is full I go back into D mode  because B mode will not add any more.  Why bother?  In D mode the car might continue downhill with no need for throttle.  B mode might need  some throttle to overcome its  extra 'engine braking'.  - which is counter productive. 
There  are very few hills,or mountain passes even,  where D mode does not provide enough 'engine braking' that you need to use brakes to the extent they are at risk of overheating ..  (if you take things steady from the top  . Its just like walking downhill.  Children soon learn if you start to run downhill  you may not be able to stop yourself until you fall over. Some drivers never learn this )

Also in town. If you start to slow a bit earlier D mode still provides  at least some regenerative  braking and recharges the battery.And you may not need  to brake much.  B mode may give more braking effect, so you tend to start slowing just a little bit later.  More battery charging, but for a shorter time.   If you drive gently anyway I think  both modes will give very similar mpg.    You may use brakes a bit more in D mode, but this helps clear rusting.  :-*
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2022, 11:31:50 AM »
B all the time, especially when going extra urban as higher speed affects retardation less and gives a lot more regen.
All Honda e:HRVs brake pads should last forever. I rarely brake when turning into a side road, or coming up to a stop line or red traffic lights. I just let B slow me down. Followers must think my brake lights have failed!
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2022, 01:39:30 PM »
I'd not be happy changing from B to D on the move in case I pushed it too far into N, or is that not possible.

I just leave it in B, job done.
Let's be careful out there !

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2022, 01:59:36 PM »
When I'm changing from B to D or vice versa I never managed to end up in N.
I'm a bit ashamed to admit I've never even tried...  ;D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 07:19:21 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2022, 02:20:50 PM »
I'd not be happy changing from B to D on the move in case I pushed it too far into N, or is that not possible.

I do need to change it on the move to suit my current driving style. I've had no problems so far.
Neil Ives

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2022, 02:27:46 PM »
All Honda e:HRVs brake pads should last forever. I rarely brake when turning into a side road, or coming up to a stop line or red traffic lights. I just let B slow me down. Followers must think my brake lights have failed!
Ditto.
I've been driving like that for years in manual gearbox cars. Followers can think what they like.

Late braking wastes energy and hence fuel.

Anticipation saves fuel, accidents, passenger discomfort, stress and brake pads. Plus, giving some love to other drivers and pedestrians gives you good Karma.
Neil Ives

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2022, 03:31:24 PM »

Yes - I am afraid I might break something. If I'm going to use D (a rare event) I'll select that from the outset.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2022, 06:29:29 PM »
I've remembered why I started driving the way I do: 30 years ago, my son would get car sick unless I reduced the G-force in bends and reduced speed gently.

Anticipation is the only way to achieve that style.

I was just waiting at a traffic light and watched a young woman in the lane beside me come to an abrupt stop. I was glad that I wasn't her passenger!
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2022, 06:53:34 PM »
I'm the same. I slowly come to a stop, unlike the ones who have the front end recoil and passengers nodding.

For me the IAM tutoring and test (1983) taught me a lot. Anticipate, look far ahead, drop back behind large vehicles to get a better view ahead etc. Know what's happening 360 degrees.
Let's be careful out there !

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2022, 09:19:07 PM »
... Always B until D!  ;D (until AAC is required)
You shouldn't have a problem moving between them, I've never gone into N by accident.

Tags:

anything