Author Topic: Catalytic Converter thefts.  (Read 1588 times)

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
Catalytic Converter thefts.
« on: July 31, 2022, 10:07:03 AM »
It’s in the Daily Mail today, (so it must be true), that the converters are under a greater threat than ever.

It singled out Japanese cars, particularly the Jazz hybrid. It said that hybrids are of particular value, as the valuable metals inside them, are in a better condition, and therefore worth more, as the petrol engine is only running for perhaps 50% of the time.

Methinks the car will have to be garaged!

Any thoughts?

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Re: Catalytic Converter thefts.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 10:20:11 AM »
Typical media rubbish.
The later Jazzes have the converter mounted up in the engine bay, making it extremely difficult to get at.

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 03:57:06 PM »
It’s in the Daily Mail today, (so it must be true), that the converters are under a greater threat than ever.

It singled out Japanese cars, particularly the Jazz hybrid. It said that hybrids are of particular value, as the valuable metals inside them, are in a better condition, and therefore worth more, as the petrol engine is only running for perhaps 50% of the time.

Methinks the car will have to be garaged!

Any thoughts?

To be pedantic, it was the Mail on Sunday (although part of the same media group) and my only reason for reading the article was that I once shared an open office with an employers' IT department.  One afternoon there was a crowd around one of the IT guy's workspace.  Turned out that they were viewing the CCTV recording of a couple of "visitors" in the car park helping themselves to the converter from a staff member's Honda.  The "visitors" were in and out within minutes; had parked in front of the Honda, jacked the it up and removed the converter when one of our staff coming back from lunch, wandered over and asked if there was a problem to which the answer was "Nah mate. All sorted now!".  They just calmly got in their car and drove off, cool as the proverbial cucumbers.  The ironic thing was that the Honda belonged to the staff member's boss!

When I bought my Jazz I was concerned about cat. theft but subsequent investigation revealed, as Kenneve says, the risk of theft from later Jazz's is very low due to the re-location of the cat. high up and close to the exhaust manifold.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 04:00:17 PM »
These sort of false reports might make some scrote try, and damage your car unnecessarily when they can't get at it.
Let's be careful out there !

michaelC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz mk2 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2022, 05:06:13 PM »
I asked the Honda showroom/garage in South Ruislip, London about this.
They confirmed that it was only an issue for the Mk1 Honda Jazz.  Not really a problem for mk2 onwards.

JJazz

• Approved Member
  • Exiled Scot
  • My Honda: 2023 Honda Jazz EX in midnight blue beam metallic
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 05:56:29 PM »
3 days ago a post on Heathfield Community group

Just got back from Stonegate station where our car has had its catalytic converter stolen. There were two other people in the car park at the time - both the same thing. So at least 3 cars in that car park today. We will of course report it to the police tomorrow. If you had your car parked there today - especially if it's a bit older - then do check. It was very loud and obvious on ours.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 06:23:16 AM by JJazz »

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 10:25:38 PM »
3 days ago a post on Heathfield Community group

Just got back from Stonegate station where our car has had its catalytic converter stolen. There were two other people in the car park at the time - both the same thing. So at least 3 cars in that car park today. We will of course report it to the police tomorrow. If you had your car parked there today - especially if it's a bit older - then do check. It was very loud and obvious on ours 😡🙄

Any idea what car the cat was stolen from?

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 03:06:45 PM »
Worrying if your car is at risk.  But bear in mind  its just one thief/team who targeted 3 vehicles on that occasion .

More worrying  is that they are so Blaise they consider they have time to do 3 without fear of challenge or police attendance.

Fortunately they are too stupid to realise that Railway car parks  have an extra police force
 (British Transport Police)  so a sting operation to catch them is more likely. :Lets hope for success.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

JJazz

• Approved Member
  • Exiled Scot
  • My Honda: 2023 Honda Jazz EX in midnight blue beam metallic
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2022, 06:21:34 AM »
They never said when I asked what cars. Stonegate railway station is very remote and guess scumbags using false number plate on their car. One comment said this - older hybrids Hondas have higher amount of platinum in the converter and the hybrids less corroded (so the AA man advised when we were relieved of one in London).

Thank you for the heads up they are around here.

There were a multitude of thefts around 6 July in Heathfield and surrounding areas in East Sussex. Post - Hey everyone looking for wittnesses to a black car and 3 people stealing the catalytic converter from my Honda Jazz on waldron throns last at apox 1:30am. Please contact me it you know anything. Thank you.
Also comments from post - see photo. Scumbags gang in black car
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 06:29:47 AM by JJazz »

Tags: