Author Topic: Faulty mirror folding  (Read 3943 times)

IanG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk4 Jazz EX
Faulty mirror folding
« on: July 19, 2022, 02:47:49 PM »
My passenger door mirror has stopped auto folding and fails to fold using the manual control on door.
It starts to move but then stops after an inch of travel.
It can be folded in manually and feels the same as the working drivers mirror when folded by hand.
Anyone else had a similar issue? Have reported to dealer and they’ll take a look when replacing my split seat base bolster.

sportse

• Approved Member
Re: Faulty mirror folding
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 03:00:50 PM »
Not so far, but if it's similar to the one I had to fix on my Volvo they only come as one unit rather than maybe just a gear that's failed.

I had the same issue and it required a whole unit - luckily covered under warranty as they are quite expensive.

FYI on the Jazz you can turn off automatic mirror folding in the settings, to leave them out until it's fixed - I had to do the same thing on my Volvo.

guest9814

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 07:34:23 PM »
I have that fault to, temporary fix to close mirror in my case (not have auto mirrors close) is turn headlights on an after several seconds push button that closes mirrors
When headlights on dc-dc charging 12v battery and giving 14,5-14,7v (that simple giving more power to mirror motor),  this charge not constant and many times I seen that voltage of 12v battery is only 12,6v while car in ready mode.

IanG

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2022, 08:49:52 PM »
I have that fault to, temporary fix to close mirror in my case (not have auto mirrors close) is turn headlights on an after several seconds push button that closes mirrors
When headlights on dc-dc charging 12v battery and giving 14,5-14,7v (that simple giving more power to mirror motor),  this charge not constant and many times I seen that voltage of 12v battery is only 12,6v while car in ready mode.
Thanks for the info. I locked and unlocked car tonight when it was darker, so the auto lights also function and the passenger mirror automatically folded and unfolded OK. I left the auto mirror folding function enabled.
Will try it again in daylight tomorrow, when the auto lights will not be functioning, to see if the mirror issue returns.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 08:55:40 PM by IanG »

guest9814

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2022, 09:36:20 PM »
I created video for my dealer, to trigger issue with fault mirror you should check voltage with 12v socket  voltmeter

IanG

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022, 06:29:12 AM »
I created video for my dealer, to trigger issue with fault mirror you should check voltage with 12v socket  voltmeter
Very useful video, my issue appears the same as yours. I have a voltage meter, so will check voltage if issue recurs.
Did the dealer do anything to resolve the issue? Wonder if my 12v battery is failing. My mileage is 31000 miles and car used regularly, so it should be well charged. Maybe battery is approaching time for replacement. Suspect the battery will not be covered under warranty once the car is over one year old and is deemed a consumable item.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2022, 06:59:56 AM »
On Civics that can be due to a failed or failing "SOD Polyfuse".

Whether the Jazz has one I don't know.
Let's be careful out there !

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2022, 02:27:06 PM »
Mine stuck once but a spray of WD40 sorted it.... 8)

Geoff_W

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Premium Crystal Red Metallic
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2022, 04:14:23 PM »
Mine stuck once but a spray of WD40 sorted it.... 8)
Exactly where did you insert the nozzle for the WD40?

My Crosstar has done this once (RHD passenger mirror) a couple of weeks ago. It's booked in for its first service in September and I've mentioned the issue to the dealer.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2022, 04:16:12 PM »
I would use a silicone lubricant spray as WD40 would likely dry it, not lubricate it long term
Let's be careful out there !

guest9814

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2022, 07:00:57 PM »
Very useful video, my issue appears the same as yours. I have a voltage meter, so will check voltage if issue recurs.
Did the dealer do anything to resolve the issue? Wonder if my 12v battery is failing. My mileage is 31000 miles and car used regularly, so it should be well charged. Maybe battery is approaching time for replacement. Suspect the battery will not be covered under warranty once the car is over one year old and is deemed a consumable item.
there is no issue with battery (there maybe issue with plastic gear or debry inside) and there current sensor on motor i think because if someone touch closing mirror the mirror wil stop immediately, our car doing charge of 12v battery only when we start car for about 15-20 minutes if we not using some 12v equpment that drawing significantly high current (headlights window heater or climate control blower on full speed) then charge stops and only starting charge when voltage on battery will be low.
I describbed to mechanic wo worked on my car problem but not sent to him that time video, he checked mirrors when take car to shop and found no issues (when 14.7v supplied mirror will close without problem ), then i sent to him video, next week i will be in this dealership for repair of mess they did by replacing seat cover that cracked and will talk with them about mirror to.

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2022, 08:20:51 AM »
I would use a silicone lubricant spray as WD40 would likely dry it, not lubricate it long term

WD40 worked just fine for me... ;D

spacemaid

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2022, 02:27:06 PM »
I have just got my Crosstar back from the dealership because a faulty passenger wing mirror.

I had accused the wife of not locking the car, more than once.

Called up on Saturday, dropped it off on Tuesday. 2 hours later they called and said it needed to be replaced. Took a day to get the part but all fine now and the cleaned inside and out, so saved me £20.

All done under warranty.

guest9814

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2022, 04:55:34 PM »
After visiting my dealer with faulty mirror they blamed my 12v socket splitter with voltmeter, they said that nothing should be used in car 12v socket as this can cause issues with car systems ….. :-X
Damn for watt’s exactly there this socket ?
Nowadays no one uses incandescent bulbs so watt’s exactly we can plug in that damn 12v socket ?

Beaver

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2022, 05:18:47 PM »
After visiting my dealer with faulty mirror they blamed my 12v socket splitter with voltmeter, they said that nothing should be used in car 12v socket as this can cause issues with car systems ….. :-X
Damn for watt’s exactly there this socket ?
Nowadays no one uses incandescent bulbs so watt’s exactly we can plug in that damn 12v socket ?

Page 231 of the car handbook:  12v DC accessories rated 180 watts (15 amps) or less.

Tags:

anything