Author Topic: Aircon hilarity  (Read 1159 times)

poolski

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 MK2 Jazz EX
Aircon hilarity
« on: April 22, 2022, 10:43:13 PM »
To set the scene: I bought my Jazz from some shady-ass dealership near Peterborough. A few things were wrong with it, like the brake discs having 2mm+ wear on them.

Those all got fixed.

Then the A/C packed in. Took it to their "mechanics" who "fixed" it. It blew cold for a bit, then stopped.
Then winter came, and I didn't care.

Come the warm days, I think to myself: "Wouldn't it be nice to have A/C right about now?"
So I take it down to my local reputable A/C place and they fill'er up with gas, add some dye and send me on my way.
They say it passes the vacuum test, so no major leaks to be found, yay!

A/C blows cold for a day then packs in again.
I try running it a few more times, to no avail.
A/C outfit take it back, regas it, then tell me the A/C compressor isn't kicking in when it should. Might cost upwards of 500 quid to repair, though.

So I ask: "Could it be electrical?", to which they reply "Yeah could be a fuse or a relay that's blown so the compressor's not kicking in. We could take a look for you, but we'd have to charge for that"

I'm reasonably handy with the electronicals and such, so I said "Nah, I'll find out where the ********** things live and poke'em with a multimeter". Right enough, I get home - fuses are fine, but the relay isn't doing anything. So I yank out the radiator fan relay and plonk it in where the A/C relay was. Lo and behold! The compressor suddenly kicks in!

So now I'm thinking: "Balls, now I have to go out and buy a new A/C compressor relay, but at least I'm not spending 500 quid on a component that doesn't need replacing!"

Then, thinking I'm done for the day, I stuff the relays back where they came from and, on a whim, try the A/C again. ********** thing works now!

2 hours later, I get back in the car, turn on the A/C and bugger all happens. So I open the relay box and smack the offending article gently with a spanner. A/C works again.

I'll still be replacing the thing, but if in doubt, hit it with something hard and it might start working!

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Re: Aircon hilarity
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2022, 07:22:20 AM »
Funny story. Sounds like a Peterborough dealer to dodge!

Spray the contacts with something might help. I would be looking for a new 'used' item on ebay, shouldn't cost more than a few quid and you're sorted before we're in our brief warm season.  8)

poolski

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 MK2 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2022, 08:04:16 AM »
Spray the contacts with something

"Just put on a blindfold, fish around in the bathroom cabinet for the first spray that comes to hand and just go to town on the contacts"  ;D :D

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2022, 09:19:35 AM »
When I was doing my training to become a Merchant Navy Radio Officer, back in the days of valves and the like our tutor told us, "If you get an intermittent fault thump the unit hard. That will either fix it or stop it working completely and if that happens it will be easy to fault find".

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2022, 10:31:58 AM »
When I was doing my training to become a Merchant Navy Radio Officer, back in the days of valves and the like our tutor told us, "If you get an intermittent fault thump the unit hard. That will either fix it or stop it working completely and if that happens it will be easy to fault find".

I was an Air Wireless Fitter in the RAF and we had the same advice, back in 1959 :-X

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2022, 11:35:14 AM »
... the skill is in knowing where to hit it!  ;)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2022, 01:33:29 PM »
…what with and how hard!

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2022, 04:00:58 PM »
The difference between a mechanic and a fitter is that a mechanic knows how to hit it but the fitter knows where.
Hitting a piece of kit is known as 'percussion adjustment'.

Vic.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2022, 06:26:58 PM »
In one job I worked in we had a piece of kit with a 12Kv vacuum relay that occasionally stuck. It should have been changed but it cost an arm and a leg, didn't stick often and when it did stick it was only a nuisance. After getting called out in the middle of the night to thump the cabinet I put a large cross on the side panel and left word that if it stuck again, just to hit the cross. We never got bothered again. A good operator intervention.

WelshBeauty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Honda Jazz 1.4 i-DSi SE
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2022, 08:36:39 PM »
The difference between a mechanic and a fitter is that a mechanic knows how to hit it but the fitter knows where.
Hitting a piece of kit is known as 'percussion adjustment'.

Vic.
Nice one Vic.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2022, 11:17:00 AM »
I think iffyness of that relay has been mentioned a number of times in the forum.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2022, 11:41:44 AM »
I'd look around your local breakers yard, try another relay or go to local motor factors & obtain new relay.

Tags: