Author Topic: Cooling Fan on and off regardless of weather or AC  (Read 1764 times)

Dalbystorm

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: I-vtec EX
Cooling Fan on and off regardless of weather or AC
« on: March 27, 2022, 09:41:14 PM »
I've read a little about the issues with cooling fans cutting in, but most relate to issues with A/C being left on. Mine is not on.

I have a 2010 v-tec EX Jazz and the fan has been cutting in regardless of weather all Winter!
As far as I understand, there is only 1 fan under the bonnet (as I've seen people mention an AC fan?).
Is it likely to be a sensor or relay issue or something else please?

I'll fix it myself but need to get it right first time.

Assistance with pics would be really helpful. Thanks.

Deb
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 10:20:17 PM by Dalbystorm »

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
Re: Cooling Fan on and off regardless of weather or AC
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 06:50:36 PM »
Not fully familiar with these cars yet but, is this a problem or normal operation?

My other cars have worked like that (depending on the way and distance it has been driven).

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 07:04:34 PM »
The cooling fan will cut in and out if the engine gets hot enough as it is designed to do but none of the Jazz's that I have owned have done so normally. The AC fan that cuts in when the compressor cuts in to cool the condensor which is mounted in front of the engine radiator will cut in and out at roughly eight second intervals when the AC is on. Perhaps that is what you are hearing.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 08:50:03 PM »
The cooling fan will cut in and out if the engine gets hot enough as it is designed to do but none of the Jazz's that I have owned have done so normally. The AC fan that cuts in when the compressor cuts in to cool the condensor which is mounted in front of the engine radiator will cut in and out at roughly eight second intervals when the AC is on. Perhaps that is what you are hearing.

Vic.

Agree, never had the engine cooling fan cut in on any Honda, even in traffic in hot weather ( maybe because in that case aircon would be on with the fans cutting in and out anyway ) - the aircon condenser runs the whole width of engine bay in front of the engine cooling radiator and that is the reason both fans work with aircon compressor...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 08:31:03 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 02:11:55 PM »
I don't have air-con and I have never had the fan cut in during 6 years of ownership even in queueing traffic on a hot summer's day. There again, maybe mine doesn't work at all!

Dalbystorm

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 10:15:36 PM »
As I've said, the air con is NOT on but the engine fan is still cutting very often.
Can anyone give a definitive answer?
Do I need a new sensor perhaps or ??

Thanks.

Dalbystorm

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022, 10:18:43 PM »

Vic.

The AC is not on.The engine is not hot as 6 mile journeys at 40-50mph rural.
There are no temperature gauges in these, which is frustrating!!

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2022, 10:14:52 AM »
Very first thing to check is whether the system is completely full at the radiator cap, and that the level in the expansion bottle is comfortably between the min/max marks.
Is the coolant clean (Honda coolant is usually blue I believe) or grubby brown?
Is the radiator clean on the outside, front face in particular (i.e. free air flow through it)?
Any signs of coolant leaks anywhere?

The next question would be at what coolant temperature is the fan switching on and off? You may not have a suitable means of measuring this, in which case it's difficult to say whether the switching is working as intended.

Blue Sky

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Honda Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2022, 04:05:44 PM »
I've read a little about the issues with cooling fans cutting in, but most relate to issues with A/C being left on. Mine is not on.

I have a 2010 v-tec EX Jazz and the fan has been cutting in regardless of weather all Winter!
As far as I understand, there is only 1 fan under the bonnet (as I've seen people mention an AC fan?).
Is it likely to be a sensor or relay issue or something else please?

I'll fix it myself but need to get it right first time.

Assistance with pics would be really helpful. Thanks.

Deb

I have noticed that with our 2010  i-vtec EX , to have wondered but have decided to leave it alone for now given I don't yet know the car  or what to expect from the climate control system it has of which is completely alien to me. Where I have noticed in the engine bay, there are two fans, one I guess for the climate control system, to not know which one is kicking in when I hear/feel it kicking in. But I do have to say since I switched the climate control off I have not really noticed the fan, to wonder was I right in my suspicions. I will however  watch the conversation.

Tags:

anything