Author Topic: Hesitation on acceleration, unpredictable acceleration; software recall?  (Read 882 times)

clivech

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid 2011
I've had my 2011 Jazz hybrid for a couple of years now. Ever since I got it I've had a problem with hesitation on acceleration from a standstill. It is particularly noticeable (and dangerous) when trying to join at a roundabout or junction when I've just slowed to a stop. If I try to accelerate away, there is a lag of 1-2 seconds before the car moves, and then it tends to go off very quickly with a strong jerk. I notice the same thing to a lesser extent when accelerating under other conditions. Also I've noticed that the speed and acceleration of the car are not consistent with the amount the accelerator pedal is depressed. Some days it's off like a rocket, others it's really hard to get it to accelerate normally at all. I noticed this from the forum when I searched Hesitation:
TOKYO, Japan, February 10, 2014 - Honda Motor Co., Ltd. today announced a voluntary recall of the all-new Fit Hybrid and Vezel Hybrid produced in Japan from July 2013 through February 2014 due to a problem with the software program controlling the 7-speed dual clutch transmission (DCT) which could cause a delay in the ability to begin driving or the inability to move at all.
By all accounts, this is exactly the same as the symptoms I've been experiencing with my 2011. I had always thought it was most likely a software problem because of its unpredictability, etc., but this really makes me think I'm on the right track. I've taken it to 2 dealers, but one denied there was a problem, the other acknowledged the issue and said they would have to go through a whole series of repairs, starting with replacing the fuel pump, in order to eliminate all other possible causes. The bill would have run into thousands of pounds (and anyway I knew it was pointless: even they admitted it couldn't possibly be the fuel pump, for instance.)

Has anybody else experienced this kind of issue with their Jazz hybrid, especially from this era? And has anyone had any joy with getting Honda to look at the software and update it to the version used after the 2014 recall? Thanks!

Clive

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
The recall is for the later model Jazz Hybrid, what we would know as MK3 2016, thou that model of Jazz Hybrid did not come to Europe.

clivech

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
I realise that. But the problem I have has the same symptoms as those recalled in 2014, so it's possible they were already using that software in 2011, or that the version in my car has the same defect(s). I'm trying to find out what I can put in front of a dealer to have them look at and (preferably/maybe) update on my car's computer system.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
As it happens at other times,not just starting off- I suggest plugs? EGR valve, petrol filter, air filter?

Miles and sh would help.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
I'm sure that the 2011 hybrid Jazz had a CVT gearbox whereas that recall refers to a DCT gearbox.

In addition to the potential causes already noted, I'm wondering if the problem could be related to the CVT judder problem which develops in older CVT boxes if the fluid has been changed sufficiently frequently. Do you have the service records? Honda reduced the recommended fluid change interval to every two years / 25k miles (whichever arrives first).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

clivech

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
As it happens at other times,not just starting off- I suggest plugs? EGR valve, petrol filter, air filter?

Miles and sh would help.

Plugs and air filter replaced: no effect. Never known a petrol filter get blocked and then unblocked repeatedly: once it's blocked, that's it, as far as I know. I've had that happen on a car of mine before. Not sure how the EGR valve would cause something so inconsistent either. 97,000 miles. Don't know what sh means.

clivech

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
I'm sure that the 2011 hybrid Jazz had a CVT gearbox whereas that recall refers to a DCT gearbox.

In addition to the potential causes already noted, I'm wondering if the problem could be related to the CVT judder problem which develops in older CVT boxes if the fluid has been changed sufficiently frequently. Do you have the service records? Honda reduced the recommended fluid change interval to every two years / 25k miles (whichever arrives first).

CVT fluid was the first thing the dealer replaced. Made no difference at all. No judder, just a simple refusal to move (or move quickly) when the accelerator is depressed.

Tags: