Author Topic: Christmas tree!  (Read 634 times)

Bongo

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.2
Christmas tree!
« on: March 10, 2022, 04:28:13 PM »
Hello All,

I'm new here, so good to meet you.  I need some help! I have a 2010 Jazz 1.2. Had it for four years and it's not missed a beat until now. It's lit up like a Christmas tree with faults: ABS, ECU, VST, all twinkling away and it has even gone into limp mode over 3000rpm. My local garage said I might as well scrap it, since they couldn't fix it and actually made the problem worse. but I love the little VTEC engine, which runs (ran) like a Swiss watch, and would like to save it if possible....

Where do I start? All ideas and suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,
Bongo

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Christmas tree!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 05:16:16 PM »
Hello All,

I'm new here, so good to meet you.  I need some help! I have a 2010 Jazz 1.2. Had it for four years and it's not missed a beat until now. It's lit up like a Christmas tree with faults: ABS, ECU, VST, all twinkling away and it has even gone into limp mode over 3000rpm. My local garage said I might as well scrap it, since they couldn't fix it and actually made the problem worse. but I love the little VTEC engine, which runs (ran) like a Swiss watch, and would like to save it if possible....

Where do I start? All ideas and suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,
Bongo

The first port of call is always the electrical power supply / battery - low voltage plays havoc with modern car systems, and the power steering alone on your MK2 will draw 60 amps.  If you do not know how old the battery is ( and you have had it for 4 years )   get one of these.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/ybx5054/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

GGT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2020 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 08:04:15 PM »
Alternator?

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 09:38:08 PM »
I agree. Cars of that age tended to be a bit touchy on bad batteries. How old is it? Has it shown any signs of being unwilling to start? If it's more than 5yrs old might be worth a punt on a replacement anyway (see Culzean's recommendadtion).
If you haven't already got one, invest a few ££ in a multimeter (need pay no more than £10 for a perfectly usable item, something like https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-ac-dc-digital-multimeter-600v/75337?tc=RB5&ds_kid=92700055262507126&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjKO62b689gIVSOvtCh3wCwIvEAQYAyABEgKHN_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds for example).
Check the battery volts when it is not running, and again once it as started. Should be at least 12V not running and at least 14V when idling (round figures, you can get more detailed info if needed). If it's below 12V the battery is probably past its best, and if below 14V running then the charginf system is suspect, though a really bad battery can pull charging voltage down so assess battery together with charging.
Might be worth similarly investing in an OBD reader, again a few ££ only required, it won't go into depth but it would show basic fault codes to identify what the system thinks is not right.
... and I'll second the suggestion for battery from Tayna if needed.

Tags: