Author Topic: What is the correct way to start the ignition on?  (Read 990 times)

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
What is the correct way to start the ignition on?
« on: March 09, 2022, 10:48:01 PM »
Yes, a very embarrassing question.
I owns my 2006 auto Jazz for now 15 months. For good x12 months I was turning the key from zero position to 1 and then wait until the five seat belt beep sound goes off and then turn towards the 2 to start the engine.
However, for the last three months I just straight starts from the zero position to 2 without stopping at the 1 position. Is that the right way to start a Jazz? Tia!

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
Re: What is the correct way to start the ignition on?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 11:07:06 AM »
Can't believe it makes any difference either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 12:13:20 PM »
Probably no  difference on a petrol car.   Some warning lights may stay on  for a few seconds after starting  so you can see they haven't blown a bulb. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 12:18:36 PM »

Out of habit I normally wait until the fuel gauge has stopped moving before starting, just to make sure all the sensors etc are up to speed.... Same on motorbikes...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2022, 12:57:56 PM »

Out of habit I normally wait until the fuel gauge has stopped moving before starting, just to make sure all the sensors etc are up to speed.... Same on motorbikes...

I do this too, but probably an age old habit from driving diesels for a decade or so, back in the day.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2022, 02:07:37 PM »
I do it both ways. If I am waiting for my dashcam to start up, I pause, but usually, I just go straight through.
If the car has been standing unused for a long time (weeks) a pause allows the fuel pump to charge the lines and the injectors.

mj1sjc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2022, 07:01:22 PM »
Good you mentioned thos. Im actually going away soon for 3 weeks. I was also thinking to undo the battery connection so its not going yo be dead x3 weeks after

I do it both ways. If I am waiting for my dashcam to start up, I pause, but usually, I just go straight through.
If the car has been standing unused for a long time (weeks) a pause allows the fuel pump to charge the lines and the injectors.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 07:23:34 PM »
Im actually going away soon for 3 weeks. I was also thinking to undo the battery connection so its not going yo be dead x3 weeks after
I think there is something very wrong if the battery goes dead after three weeks without use.

Blue Sky

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Honda Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2022, 10:15:20 AM »
I start in stages as some others have mentioned and when it's started let it idle for 30 seconds before putting the engine under load - gives me time to adjust mirrors, seating position etc as I am not the only driver.

Tags: