Author Topic: Radio upgrade  (Read 3273 times)

X25DJB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 IMA HS
Radio upgrade
« on: February 24, 2022, 03:03:57 PM »
Hi all, I am purchasing a 2014 hybrid and wondered if there is any recommend upgrade to the factory fitted radio/cd entertainment system

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

MiniNinjaRob

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Jazz EX 1.4
Re: Radio upgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 04:21:32 PM »
Use it for a while and have a think about what you want to improve - is it sound quality, bass, volume or technical like wireless connectivity, Apple CarPlay, DAB etc?

I have a 2009 EX and I’m surprised at the sound quality, rich and very much decent enough for day to day use BUT I don’t have DAB or phone connectivity to make calls etc so considering my options at the moment.

X25DJB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 05:56:41 PM »
Thanks Rob, it is indeed the connectivity which I seek.

MiniNinjaRob

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 06:07:59 PM »
It’ll depend what you need then. If it’s just to play music then the aux socket might be ok for you, you can all sorts of adaptors eg Bluetooth adaptors, FM transmitters etc. 
If it’s phone connectivity you are looking at getting a full double din fascia kit with the appropriate adaptors at around £100 (IIRC, you’ll need the modules to connect the steering wheel controls) and the double din unit itself - Apple CarPlay is £300 minimum plus I think.
I calculated it to be around £400-500 in total and that’s if I fitted it myself. So quite costly and you have to be really honest about how much you need each bit.

MiniNinjaRob

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2022, 06:10:57 PM »
This is the kit you’ll need for a 2014 onwards model

https://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/connects2-ctkhd18-honda-jazz-2014-2020-piano-black-double-din-stereo-fitting-kit

And this one for the previous model.

https://audiovisualworld.co.uk/honda-jazz-2009-2013-double-din-stereo-fascia-installation-kit-ctkhd05.html

This is the cheapest regular brand Apple Car Play double din unit I could find. I think it does Android too.

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/sony-xav-ax1005db-double-din-dab-fm-apple-carplay-radio-bluetooth-ipod-iphone-with-aerial.html

Remember most of these units won’t play CDs now!!!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 06:13:56 PM by MiniNinjaRob »

X25DJB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2022, 09:03:28 AM »
This is the kit you’ll need for a 2014 onwards model

https://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/connects2-ctkhd18-honda-jazz-2014-2020-piano-black-double-din-stereo-fitting-kit

And this one for the previous model.

https://audiovisualworld.co.uk/honda-jazz-2009-2013-double-din-stereo-fascia-installation-kit-ctkhd05.html

This is the cheapest regular brand Apple Car Play double din unit I could find. I think it does Android too.

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/sony-xav-ax1005db-double-din-dab-fm-apple-carplay-radio-bluetooth-ipod-iphone-with-aerial.html

Remember most of these units won’t play CDs now!!!
Thanks mate, point taken. Think I'll try a plug in Bluetooth adapter
Best regards Dave

X25DJB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2022, 11:33:53 AM »
Hi, I have invested in a USB to play my music etc.
How should I load the music files, can they be in groups, or individually?
Can I load play lists?

MiniNinjaRob

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2022, 12:40:05 PM »
I’ve not tried the USB connection myself, I understand it’s a bit old fashioned and can be a bit sensitive to what’s plugged in!!

Hopipola

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 Jazz SE 2004
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2022, 06:01:57 PM »
Hi all, I am purchasing a 2014 hybrid and wondered if there is any recommend upgrade to the factory fitted radio/cd entertainment system

I bought my Jazz mk2 si and it came with one of these https://esonline.co.uk/product/119818?gclid=Cj0KCQjw29CRBhCUARIsAOboZbImDPffJtYsJs8LTyW0mgW-UD55Xs49owhfVhqvrKLb9Pp6041qUqYaAt2FEALw_wcB

It does have bluetooth, usb otg don't know why doesn't work. Sound is excelent, option to put reverse camera, works with steering wheel controls and once the key is in ignition it plays automatically spotify from my phone. Thst i like the best. Get in car and no fidling around.👌

X25DJB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2022, 07:03:35 PM »

I bought my Jazz mk2 si and it came with one of these https://esonline.co.uk/product/119818?gclid=Cj0KCQjw29CRBhCUARIsAOboZbImDPffJtYsJs8LTyW0mgW-UD55Xs49owhfVhqvrKLb9Pp6041qUqYaAt2FEALw_wcB

It does have bluetooth, usb otg don't know why doesn't work. Sound is excelent, option to put reverse camera, works with steering wheel controls and once the key is in ignition it plays automatically spotify from my phone. Thst i like the best. Get in car and no fidling around.
Thanks for that. I'll look into it.

poolski

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 MK2 Jazz EX
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2022, 05:32:26 PM »
I’ve not tried the USB connection myself, I understand it’s a bit old fashioned and can be a bit sensitive to what’s plugged in!!

It will read MP3s off a USB stick or it will interfaces with an old-school iPod. It absolutely will not work with a modern iPhone running Apple Music (tried that).

Essentially, it's a waste of space in this day and age.

I personally went for Pioneer SPH-DA160DAB unit as it comes with both CarPlay and Android Auto out the box. The install is straightforward if you get the Connects2 fitting kit + replacement fascia.

The SPH-DA160DAB has a capacitive touchscreen (same as your smartphone), which is a bit more reactive to my sausage fingers. The cheaper end of car stereos tend to have resistive touchscreens which require a bit more force and it's not necessarily a Good Thing to be having to mash your digits into the centre console with max force.

My EX has decent speakers already but it felt like the new head unit made a bit of a difference in sound quality. That and the graphical EQ helps get the sound you want rather than being restricted to MOAR BASS or MOAR TREBLE.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 05:36:05 PM by poolski »

X25DJB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2023, 12:58:01 PM »

It will read MP3s off a USB stick or it will interfaces with an old-school iPod. It absolutely will not work with a modern iPhone running Apple Music (tried that).

Essentially, it's a waste of space in this day and age.

I personally went for Pioneer SPH-DA160DAB unit as it comes with both CarPlay and Android Auto out the box. The install is straightforward if you get the Connects2 fitting kit + replacement fascia.

The SPH-DA160DAB has a capacitive touchscreen (same as your smartphone), which is a bit more reactive to my sausage fingers. The cheaper end of car stereos tend to have resistive touchscreens which require a bit more force and it's not necessarily a Good Thing to be having to mash your digits into the centre console with max force.

My EX has decent speakers already but it felt like the new head unit made a bit of a difference in sound quality. That and the graphical EQ helps get the sound you want rather than being restricted to MOAR BASS or MOAR TREBLE.
Thank you so much for your reply. Very useful. Can you supply a link for the dashboard insert required to work with this upgrade please.

Tags:

anything