Author Topic: New to Jazz ownership - rattle at lower rpms  (Read 1024 times)

MiniNinjaRob

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Jazz EX 1.4
New to Jazz ownership - rattle at lower rpms
« on: January 31, 2022, 01:00:07 PM »
Hi all
Just bought a really nice 1.4 EX Jazz and we really love it - no rust and in fantastic condition with full history. 103000 miles.
Everything works fine but there is an engine noise between around 1600-2400 rpm. Doesn’t do it at idle, only while driving and when accelerating. The gear you are in doesn’t change anything so don’t think it’s the gearbox.
Place I bought it from checked for anything loose underneath but I will check myself.
I had a poke round the engine bay and tightened up the battery and the air box after greasing all the bolts but it didn’t make a difference.
I’m not sure if the rocker clearances have been checked ever, nor am I sure that the correct grade oil or spark plugs has been used. Would either of those things cause that issue I describe? I could change and check all of them myself. I do tend to do a full service on new to me cars anyway to make sure it’s all done properly with the right parts.

Any help greatly appreciated - any pointers to other things I can check would be good too.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 01:24:10 PM by MiniNinjaRob »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: New to Jazz ownership - rattle at lower rpms
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 02:02:07 PM »
Probably not it but I have heard the heat shield on or near the catalytic converter can rattle a bit.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 03:26:42 PM »
As Pete says, check the heat shield above the exhaust box under the driver.

MiniNinjaRob

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 03:32:37 PM »
Thanks, I’ll try and check underneath again but it doesn’t sound like it. Mind you the engine is perfect apart from that, no issues with it.

MiniNinjaRob

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 10:54:07 AM »
Ok - changed oil and filter, no difference. Took undertray off and checked for loose heat shield, couldn’t find any but couldn’t reach up to the one behind the engine easily but tapped with a metal rod and couldn’t hear anything obvious.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 06:38:36 PM »
The heatshield I suggested you check is above the middlebox under the driver's seat.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2022, 12:51:24 AM »

I too have a rattle at just over 2,000 RPM but I have no way of knowing if this is the same problem. It kicks in for a couple of hundred revs and then disappears again. Always at the same point and only ever underway and never when stationary so very hard to identify but it must be drivetrain related. The previous owner's paperwork indicates that Honda found some gravel in the heatshield but we had it up on the ramp when I first bought it and we could not find anything. The Honda dealers think it is a clutch (master cylinder?) related problem but not anything serious. I find the clutch bite point/action is not great, mainly in cold wet weather but this is apparently a well known problem with Hondas. I also have an irritating steering/clutch/drivetrain related squeek which tends to occur in cooler weather which suggests expansion/contraction might be part of the problem. Yet again, only when in gear so I suspect the two are connected.

Tags: