Author Topic: '12 plate ES CVT - "Squelching" Front Suspension over speedbumps?  (Read 1291 times)

LD17

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2006 CVT SE & 2012 CVT ES
Morning all,

Long time lurker and first time poster!

I've recently bought a 2012 ES - 12,000 miles on the clock and serviced at Honda every 1500 miles, the thing looks brand new inside and out.
It's replaced our reliable but long suffering 2005 150,000 mile SE.

I was cautious about buying a ten year old car being so low mileage, with concerns about perished rubbers and a lazy engine. But so far so good, feels planted on the road and feels responsive to drive.
It passed MOT before I picked it up without any advisories.

The only thing that is getting under my skin is a "Squashing" or "Squelching" noise coming from the front suspension going over speed bumps. It's not a problem if I slow right down before the bump, but if taken a bit too cavalier it makes the noise. Interestingly, only going "up" the bump, and not on the way down.
It sounds not too dissimilar to when a dog is chewing a heavy rubber toy.

Bumps in the road, pot holes and uneven surfaces are fine, the suspension on the front and rear don't bat an eyelid, it feels great. So I'm confused what it could be, or whether I should be concerned.

Any help you can offer would be superb and I'll appreciate any suggestions.

-Lewis
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 01:00:21 PM by LD17 »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: '12 plate ES CVT - "Squelching" Front Suspension over speedbumps?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 12:56:26 PM »
Just wondering if an issue I have had with speed bumps might be relevant. In my case as the car goes over the bump, there is sound from the suspension. I hadn't thought of it as a squelch but, come to think of it, that's as good a description as any. Maybe a cross between a creak and a squelch.

I've noticed that this is pronounced in cold weather and almost disappears as the temperature rises. I've not noticed it in the Mk4 but did on the Mk3 and my Mk2. I suspect that's because our road has been resurfaced and the new speed bumps are not as steep.

LD17

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2006 CVT SE & 2012 CVT ES
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 01:01:48 PM »
Just wondering if an issue I have had with speed bumps might be relevant. In my case as the car goes over the bump, there is sound from the suspension. I hadn't thought of it as a squelch but, come to think of it, that's as good a description as any. Maybe a cross between a creak and a squelch.

I've noticed that this is pronounced in cold weather and almost disappears as the temperature rises. I've not noticed it in the Mk4 but did on the Mk3 and my Mk2. I suspect that's because our road has been resurfaced and the new speed bumps are not as steep.

I had a feeling it could have been where the top strut rubbers are harder due to the cold at the moment.
Making them less pliable, and thus giving off the dog-chewing-a-rubber-toy sound.

I'll take it for a spin this weekend when it warms up (I've only driven it in the cold before and after work currently) and see what happens.

Thanks for your response.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 01:31:55 PM »
The top struts on mine moan when cornering at slow speeds parking.

If worried, spray all rubber bushes with rubber lubricant.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 05:45:18 PM »
Just mention this issue to the seller/ garage you got it from.
See how your concerns are dealt with.
Good choice of model spec.

Keekster71

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 08:03:26 PM »
Mine does exactly the same. It sounds like a rubber bush squeaking. I’m ignoring it  :D
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was never meant that we should venture far." H P Lovecraft

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 10:34:39 AM »
With the low mileage at that age I would bee looking at rubber bushes drying out.  Our VW Golf only gets occasional use (around 1500 miles a year) and squeaks and groans in protest sometimes.

As suggested by someone else above, try a rubber lubricant spray.

Tags: