Author Topic: smart motorways on hold  (Read 2047 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: smart motorways on hold
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2022, 03:46:45 PM »
And then of course there's the lack of signalling!
When I was being taught for my PCV licence I was taught not to signal when joining from a dual carriageway/motorway slip road unless the slip road doubled as an off slip. When I queried this I was told as there was nowhere else to go drivers knew I was going to join so no need to signal. This is also the way the police here in Scotland are taught. I was also taught not to signal when returning to the left after overtaking as the Highway Code states you should drive on the left ergo, you will be returning to the left after overtaking.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2022, 03:55:15 PM »
I'm sorry I mentioned signalling.  :-X
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2022, 03:57:13 PM »
Seconds out, round 2.......  :)
Let's be careful out there !

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2022, 04:12:21 PM »
But but but...(sorry, I can't help it) , without any signalling you don't know if the vehicle is going to come into your lane early, (probably below matching speed) or take the full length of the slip to match speed.

I'm not keen on being courteous to drivers who don't, (aka, can't be arsed to) signal . If someone signals and it is safe I'll always try to give them what they want. I was raised to have manners.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 05:41:58 PM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2022, 07:41:54 PM »
without any signalling you don't know if the vehicle is going to come into your lane early, (probably below matching speed) or take the full length of the slip to match speed.
You would know with me because I would be well ahead of you and travelling at the same or a greater speed,

culzean

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2022, 10:17:26 PM »
without any signalling you don't know if the vehicle is going to come into your lane early, (probably below matching speed) or take the full length of the slip to match speed.
You would know with me because I would be well ahead of you and travelling at the same or a greater speed,

Agree, it is far easy to lose a bit of speed with brakes than to gain speed.....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2022, 11:20:23 PM »
Well good, you are not the target of my ire  ;D
Neil Ives

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2022, 03:46:59 AM »
But but but...(sorry, I can't help it) , without any signalling you don't know if the vehicle is going to come into your lane early, (probably below matching speed) or take the full length of the slip to match speed.

Don’t understand that comment. If someone is on the entry slip, signalling right, all that tells you is that they’re going to merge into lane 1. It doesn’t tell you anything about when they’re going to do it, and making an assumption about that based on your perception of the meaning of their signal seems potentially fraught to me.

Actually, I usually signal when joining a motorway if there’s traffic already in lane 1 or 2 (unless it’s one of those junctions where the entry slip becomes lane 1). The reason follows from the logic that you should signal if it would benefit another driver. If there’s another vehicle in lane 1, or one in lane 2 who may be thinking about moving into lane 1, then a signal reminds them that you’re about to merge even if it should be obvious that you’re about to do that.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2022, 05:31:19 AM »
The reason follows from the logic that you should signal if it would benefit another driver.

Yep  :)
Let's be careful out there !

Tags: