Author Topic: Can you help me please - Inside window problem  (Read 4081 times)

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
Re: Can you help me please - Inside window problem
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2022, 09:26:38 PM »
Presumably a fully electric car has instant heat available.

Yes.

For all the misgivings around EVs - poor charging infrastructure, range anxiety, high purchase cost - the ability to get instant heat is a blessing. On the Nissan Leaf (prob the same with others) you can get all the heating systems going before you get into the car so this windscreen fogging is a non issue. You can do this whilst your car is plugged in so using your house electricity.

I've seen this work - it's impressive.

Hardly a plus for EV seeing we do not get much really cold weather in UK, and considering what cold weather does to EV range..
What you have to consider is that most EV journeys aren't long enough for range to be an issue, provided you can charge up at home. When we use ours for journeys of say under 100 miles round trip we can start with a decent level of charge and have the heating on as much as we want knowing that we can "fill up" again once back home so range isn't really a worry. If you're mainly doing long motorway trips then you're better off with a hybrid at present (like the Jazz).

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2022, 10:35:23 AM »
Presumably a fully electric car has instant heat available.

Yes.

For all the misgivings around EVs - poor charging infrastructure, range anxiety, high purchase cost - the ability to get instant heat is a blessing. On the Nissan Leaf (prob the same with others) you can get all the heating systems going before you get into the car so this windscreen fogging is a non issue. You can do this whilst your car is plugged in so using your house electricity.

I've seen this work - it's impressive.

Hardly a plus for EV seeing we do not get much really cold weather in UK, and considering what cold weather does to EV range..
What you have to consider is that most EV journeys aren't long enough for range to be an issue, provided you can charge up at home. When we use ours for journeys of say under 100 miles round trip we can start with a decent level of charge and have the heating on as much as we want knowing that we can "fill up" again once back home so range isn't really a worry. If you're mainly doing long motorway trips then you're better off with a hybrid at present (like the Jazz).

From 10/11/21 to 13/01/22 - just over 2 months - I did 299 miles. I reckon a weekly or fortnightly charge would do me on a low range EV - the problem for me is a few longer journeys we make. This is why, for me, charging infrastructure is the biggie. I spent a lot of time looking at zap map and noting the very high percentage of chargers that were out of service. I don't want that stress in my life. If we had 2 cars, one would definitely be an EV.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2022, 11:51:48 AM »
I had probably the thickest front windscreen ice today, despite that I only had a light bit of misting inside by the time I was leaving.

The procedure with full defrost buttons and recirculating air as soon as you start the car seems to be the best way.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2022, 12:30:48 PM »
I've done a couple of journeys recently from a cold start and my one off misting issue hasn't occurred again.
Let's be careful out there !

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2022, 01:13:23 PM »
I wonder if a cold snap following warmer weather is responsible for this excess misting.
Neil Ives

Toptek

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2022, 02:30:18 PM »
I wonder if a cold snap following warmer weather is responsible for this excess misting.
I think it does as our MK3 starts to mist internally at the end of a sunny but cold day.
It was about - 2°C this morning, ice on the glass was sprayed, clearing the ice and I couldn't see any condensation. However, as soon in the car and switching on the engine the condensation set in...
Bizarrely, on the windscreen, it seems to set, like a film which a microfiber cloth works hards to remove and leaves streaks. I'm wondering if it's had some form of treatment added to the screen like an anti mist which is in fact causing issues.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2022, 02:38:45 PM »
I think it does as our MK3 starts to mist internally at the end of a sunny but cold day.
It was about - 2°C this morning, ice on the glass was sprayed, clearing the ice and I couldn't see any condensation. However, as soon in the car and switching on the engine the condensation set in...
Bizarrely, on the windscreen, it seems to set, like a film which a microfiber cloth works hards to remove and leaves streaks. I'm wondering if it's had some form of treatment added to the screen like an anti mist which is in fact causing issues.

I used to have the same thing - I think it's mist turning to ice, so when wiped inside it doesn't clear off easily.

Using the front defrost when starting the car has stopped this happening to me.

Today it was only one quick wipe to clear the light mist on the top part of the inside windscreen

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2022, 03:34:30 PM »

Any ice /  moisture left on the evaporator coils in the aircon system when engine is turned off will come back out when the system is turned back on, and will be carried by the airflow onto the screen.  I normally turn the aircon off about a miles before I get home, this allows evaporator to dry off,  so the air coming out when restarted will have no more moisture than ambient air.  If you leave system in 'auto' all the time this problem will always be there,  personally i never use auto because I hate the way the system works with the vents it chooses and the way it almost turns the fan off.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 03:36:44 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2022, 03:55:58 PM »
I'm guilty of using Auto all the time as the easy option.
Let's be careful out there !

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2022, 03:30:29 PM »
Just noticed that on the new HR-V a Heated Windscreen is standard on Advance & Advance Style models. Hopefully it will become an option on the Jazz in a future model year update - really simplifies cold morning starts and quickly eliminates any condensation.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2022, 03:42:21 PM »
Just noticed that on the new HR-V a Heated Windscreen is standard on Advance & Advance Style models. Hopefully it will become an option on the Jazz in a future model year update - really simplifies cold morning starts and quickly eliminates any condensation.

It's not a heated windscreen overall, its heated elements in the windscreen for the wiper area and the area up the drivers side pillar where any ice/snow would be pushed by the wiper stroke.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2022, 03:46:13 PM »
Owners manual content:

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2022, 03:47:52 PM »
I'm guilty of using Auto all the time as the easy option.
Same here, all year round, never had any issues.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2022, 06:31:32 PM »
Owners manual content:
We'll, that's a bit silly!

Tags: