Author Topic: Catalytic converter theft advice  (Read 1976 times)

FF2016

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Catalytic converter theft advice
« on: December 27, 2021, 08:42:50 PM »
Hi all,

I'm aware that older Honda Jazzes are targets for catalytic converter theft. After having my Jazz written off in a car accident this week I'm hesitant in getting another because of this concern. Are newer models less likely to be targeted? Thank you.

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
Re: Catalytic converter theft advice
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 10:16:15 PM »
The MK2 (2008) & MK3 (2013) have the catalytic converter high up in the engine bay making it extremely difficult to remove. It's only the MK1 Jazz that has the converter underneath the car. Hope that helps!

FF2016

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 10:58:40 PM »
Thank you! That's really useful. A friend's 2008 Jazz had its catalytic converter stolen from the underside so I assume that was a MK1 (registered July 2008)?

Thank you

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 10:26:45 AM »
On later models the CAT was moved right up to exhaust manifold, this reduced the heat up time ( CATS do not work well until they are really hot ).  IIRC the Civic has always had the CAT near the manifold, but maybe due to limited space in  Jazz engine bay Honda may have fudged it a bit on MK1 Jazz. I believe CAT was repositioned in later models to reduce emissions and not to stop it getting nicked,  later CATS also have far less precious metal in them, making them less  attractive to steal.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

FF2016

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 11:04:04 PM »
I am now torn between a 2009 Honda Jazz (40,000 miles on the clock) or a 2017 (15,000 miles ). The first is selling at £4000. The later at £11000. My biggest concern is the position of the cat and whether paying an extra £7k is worth it for the cat to be in the engine.

FF2016

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 11:08:25 PM »
I believe CAT was repositioned in later models to reduce emissions and not to stop it getting nicked,  later CATS also have far less precious metal in them, making them less  attractive to steal.
What age is a later CAT?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 11:02:45 AM »
I am now torn between a 2009 Honda Jazz (40,000 miles on the clock) or a 2017 (15,000 miles ). The first is selling at £4000. The later at £11000. My biggest concern is the position of the cat and whether paying an extra £7k is worth it for the cat to be in the engine.

The models changed in 2008 so 2009 should be an IVTEC Mk2 ( not the iDSI Mk1 ) you can look at the engine rocker cover to confirm this, as the engine type is moulded into plastic, but the car body is a lot different to the MK1 anyway.  If it is an IVtec then the CAT will be tucked up behind the engine.

Click on this link to take you to org homepage,  in the photo top left there is a blue MK2 and a silver MK1 Jazz.  https://clubjazz.org/
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 11:09:08 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 11:05:18 AM »
I believe CAT was repositioned in later models to reduce emissions and not to stop it getting nicked,  later CATS also have far less precious metal in them, making them less  attractive to steal.
What age is a later CAT?

Same age as the car unless it has been replaced   ;D ( the sensible answer is from MY 2009--> )

Tags:

anything