Author Topic: This Mk. 4 12v. battery.  (Read 4011 times)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Re: This Mk. 4 12v. battery.
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2021, 06:37:33 PM »
I think on this, and several other subjects, there is a lot of overthinking, too much worrying going on. Your cars are all new, they are designed to think about all these problems for you. Just drive them and enjoy them. They’re not 70 year old Austin A40s or whatever!

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2021, 08:49:27 AM »
I think on this, and several other subjects, there is a lot of overthinking, too much worrying going on. Your cars are all new, they are designed to think about all these problems for you. Just drive them and enjoy them. They’re not 70 year old Austin A40s or whatever!
You're probably right in that the cars are mostly under a year old at present so problems are unlikely, but we've had issues with batteries when cars have been left unused for a while, modern cars tend to drain electricity when standing idle so I'm just trying to avoid problems I've had in the past with low mileage vehicles.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2021, 10:01:39 AM »
They’re not 70 year old Austin A40s or whatever!

They had starting handles  ;D    But you're right. Too much thinking time to fill.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2021, 11:41:16 PM »
They’re not 70 year old Austin A40s or whatever!

They had starting handles  ;D    But you're right. Too much thinking time to fill.

What are you, some sort of crank?  :P

guest9814

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2021, 08:41:45 PM »
with 100w of load on 12v system at the moment all should be switched on  ;D
good lack with this generator  ;)
but if generator will be used to charge supercaps that afterward will be connected in parralel with 12v battery this may work (supercaps  can give 150-200 amps for couple of seconds) somewere i seen jump packs on them but price is killed my interes in buing this stuff....

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2021, 09:16:24 PM »
but if generator will be used to charge supercaps that afterward will be connected in parralel with 12v battery this may work (supercaps  can give 150-200 amps for couple of seconds) somewere i seen jump packs on them but price is killed my interes in buing this stuff....
I’ve seen supercap jump starters - they are supposed to be able to take what’s left in a low 12V battery and deliver it so the car can start - the advantage is that they don’t need charged, as they self charge from the car.

guest9814

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2021, 09:24:04 PM »
I’ve seen supercap jump starters - they are supposed to be able to take what’s left in a low 12V battery and deliver it so the car can start - the advantage is that they don’t need charged, as they self charge from the car.

Or they can be charged from USB or from small battery inside them
they also will not be affected by high temperatures in car so they can be stored there and they will last !!!
But suitable only as jump starters ....

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2022, 03:34:00 PM »
I bought a 12V battery tester for my Crosstar as I've had it nearly a year and haven't done any long trips for a while, the charge level was 11.7V which the tester classified as 'Dead' although the car has been running fine, so the car must be able to operate with very low charge in the battery. I put my trickle charger on it for a few hours and now it's showing 13.6V or 'Full'. I don't know how near it was to dying but I'm glad I tested it, I'll check every couple of months from now on to make sure it never gets that low again.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2022, 03:51:57 PM »
My Civic used to frequently drop to 11.8v after a few weeks without issue and that fired the starter motor every time.
Let's be careful out there !

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2022, 04:04:19 PM »
As the 12v battery only has to power the cars electronics and not the starter motor it should be able to do what it's supposed to do quite easily, even with a relatively low voltage, (depending on Honda electronics voltage tolerance). I wonder what amperage it handles. Maybe I dreamt it but did someone here jokingly query whether a PP9 would be sufficient to get the car going?
Neil Ives

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2022, 04:23:55 PM »
I’d heard that someone managed to get a Prius to start up using just a PP9.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2022, 04:26:48 PM »
My garage door remote uses a tiny 12v MN21 battery...... I wonder  ;)
Let's be careful out there !

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2022, 05:30:15 PM »
As the 12v battery only has to power the cars electronics and not the starter motor it should be able to do what it's supposed to do quite easily, even with a relatively low voltage, (depending on Honda electronics voltage tolerance). I wonder what amperage it handles. Maybe I dreamt it but did someone here jokingly query whether a PP9 would be sufficient to get the car going?
Even if the car operates at that low battery voltage it isn't very good for the health of the battery for it to be that low for a length of time

PaulC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz eHEV Luxe
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2022, 07:41:13 PM »
Hi, is this 12v battery a lead-acid battery or a lithium battery?

Tags:

anything