Author Topic: Honda service - injector cleaner agent  (Read 1041 times)

2robbie2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mark 3
Honda service - injector cleaner agent
« on: December 21, 2021, 12:19:54 PM »
Dear all

Please forgive me for asking the following daft question, but I'm not a mechanic and am unsure whether what I'm being told by my Honda dealership is correct.

I took my 2019 Jazz in for its 2 year service a few days ago under the service plan and when I checked what they had done on the worksheets, I spotted that they had not added 'genuine injector cleaner agent for Direct Injection models every 6,000 miles or 1 year', as specified in the Jazz Manual that came with the car.

I pointed this out to the dealership and was given the response that the manual is generic and that this action is no longer needed for newer cars (it was only needed for older models). I have nothing to disprove this, and just wondered whether it sounds right or whether I should go back to them or take it up with Honda UK itself? I don't want to get the chap in trouble and neither do I want to create a massive issue - but if it needs to be done under the service plan, then to my mind it should be done. Or am I worrying about nothing?  :D

Many thanks

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Honda service - injector cleaner agent
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 02:58:09 PM »
My 21012 CVT Jazz is used mainly on short journeys. I have used injector cleaners in the past and seen zero difference in engine performance and detailed mpg figures.

I no longer use them.

2robbie2

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 07:46:36 PM »
Hi - really appreciate the feedback. Best wishes.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 01:33:17 AM »
Is yours a direct injection model?

jaytee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 es
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2021, 04:07:03 AM »
if it concerns you just add some Redex ,a small bottle is 2 doses and costs under a fiver,does the job and easy to do, add to tank when refueling.give it a try

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2021, 11:38:52 AM »
You need to read the label with injector cleaners.  Dont just go on price.   

Some are only formulated to help maintain already clean injectors  when used regularly over a long period. ie every tankful . Sometime a bit cheaper to encourage regular purchases.

Others claim the ability to clean up dirty injectors  with noticeable results in just one dose.    The cynic in me suspects this is the same stuff at a higher strength (and price) .

Premium petrols such as Shell V power have extra cleaning additives and injectors probably wouldnt need anything extra. 

I cant comment on petrol sold in the uk  but I know that the makers of the premium diesel I sometimes buy on the continent specifically say dont use any extra  additive as it may react badly to those in their fuel.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

2robbie2

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2021, 05:39:05 PM »
Thank you for all your responses - incredibly helpful - in response to embee, I kind of assumed my Jazz was a Direct Injection model (after a bit of research online), but I know bugger all about car mechanics and so I am far from certain.

I try and fill up the car with Shell/BP every other fuel purchase (just the standard E10) alongside that of Tesco/Asda (not for better fuel economy, but from what I've read, the additives are better in Shell/BP fuel - which I understand are better for the engine - but once again, I have no way of proving this!).

Best wishes.  :D

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2021, 11:15:51 AM »
Mu experience of Premium fuel is : no discernible difference in any way, nothing.
I no longer use it.

2robbie2

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2021, 03:46:34 PM »
Thanks for the feedback on the fuel - very helpful - I have monitored my fuel usage for some time - each time I fill up I record the total and average mileage etc. - whilst it's clearly not a scientific test that can be relied on, my general observation is that there is no difference in terms of fuel mileage between different brands (Tesco vs Shell etc.).

The only reason why I use the premium brand every 2 or 3 fill ups is because I've read that Shell etc put in better quality additives - I have however no way of knowing whether it's true or not - and hence I'm probably a bit daft for doing so! :D

Tags: