Author Topic: First car: service part query  (Read 1059 times)

super_jazzy

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2016 1.4 i-DSI
First car: service part query
« on: December 12, 2021, 06:56:51 PM »
Hi all, apologies if this is the wrong place to post.

I have just got a Honda Jazz 1.4 2006 for my first car and am very happy with it.

It’s due a service and I’ve gone to get a few quotes from local independents but all seem to be extortionately high. There seems to be some issue with the fact that my model has 8 spark plugs and this this justifies £100-150 extra on a service.

All this money got me looking what the service consists of and what parts are replaced. Looks like I can do this pretty easily myself.

I’ve put a list together of all the parts I think and need and there make/models and was wondering if anyone could give it a look over to make sure it it looks okay?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tZ1ifhZ7Xoq5v37Xj0UNkduNjyNelNLKGM3L2OCAp6g/edit

P.s. I will probably still book in a health check so a professional can properly look it over

« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 07:46:43 PM by super_jazzy »

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
Re: First car: service part query
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 06:58:55 PM »
Surely a 2016 Jazz has only 4 spark plugs, did you mean 2006?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

super_jazzy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 07:46:27 PM »
Whoops yes 2006

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2021, 07:58:51 PM »
I would guess an independent would charge about 1 hour labour to change the plugs so £45-£65 plus VAT (depending on what part of the country I guess) plus plugs at retail, say £30 plus VAT. Honda dealer probably £200 total.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2021, 10:58:18 PM »
If its an automatic car, you would need to change the CVT-F oil too with the GENUINE Honda  cvt-F every two years. It recommends to do x2 flushes ( x8 litres required).
I too has a 2006 jazz but an automatic and my friend who's an ex Honda mechanic advised me to change the spark coils which I did with Brembos ( think it was x4 coils) which I bought from AutoDr website. You gets an extra 2% discount if you order it via their app.
I recently discovered my drive belt is on it's way out too so its in my bucket list to do.

Enjoy your new car, its a brilliant car!

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2021, 07:13:41 AM »
First, absolutely the right place to post this. Your list of parts is OK, you may want to add an oil sump plug washer. Also the rear spark plugs are a bit awkward and I ended up getting a socket extension as none of my plug spanners quite worked.

The only other thing I wondered was what mileage your car has done. There's a couple of long interval things. Coolant is supposed to be changed every 10 years or 100,000 miles (I think). When I got my 08 Mk1 wasn't sure if it had been done. But just opening the filler cap showed bright green looking coolant. Also if it's a manual gearbox oil is a once every 72k job (so mine is coming up, thanks for the reminder).

Looks like you're doing the main things. Especially rear spark plugs - they get missed and if the gap gets big (should be 1mm mine were nearly 3) the rear coils have to find a higher voltage and can degrade.

I'm sure the car will thank you for it.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

super_jazzy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2021, 10:18:02 AM »
Sorry I should have been more specific its a manual and has done 72k miles. Sounds like i need to do gearbox oil too, but i may just stick with the basics first.

An oil sump plug washer is the washer on the engine oil drainage plug?

All the filters and oil look to be pretty generic so happy with them but have no idea about the spark plugs, are they going to fit? I saw a replacement on Youtube and they recommended NGK ones?

Also, not sure if i need special sockets for spark plugs or just correct size (have heard spark plug socket mentioned several times).

Will also purchase a socket wrench set with extenders etc.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2021, 01:08:40 PM »
... I saw a replacement on Youtube and they recommended NGK ones?

Will also purchase a socket wrench set with extenders etc.

NGK or Denso are the usually preferred plugs, certainly I don't use anything else. However, do get them from a reputable supplier, there are plenty of fake items on auction sites. I usually use either https://www.gsparkplug.com/ or https://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/ for spark plugs, but you can also try reputable motor factors like https://www.eurocarparts.com/ (always check which discount code is being offered, it changes regularly).

If getting sockets etc, people often recommend Halfords professional range, and I have bought some Clarke PRO (make sure it is the PRO series) sockets from https://www.machinemart.co.uk/ and have been quite impressed with them, good quality regardless of being relatively low price. Avoid really cheap tools, they are usually junk, you can get excellent quality these days without spending silly money.
Six sided (hexagon) sockets are recommended, much better than 12 sided.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2021, 08:23:29 AM »
Yes, I meant the drain plug washer.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2021, 02:05:11 PM »
Honda Parts Direct,  I think is run and approved by Honda, they used to sell boxed Service kits, 8 plugs, 3 filters Oil/Air/Air conditioning for a bargain price, all OEM Honda packaged parts.

They seem to have dropped the kits but a set of 8 spark-plugs is around £51, see image.

Probably a safe bet to buy the spark-plugs from the source,  remember there are many fake spark-plugs purporting to be genuine NGK,  those fakes are hard to spot from genuine plugs, I'd feel happier with parts in a Honda box from Honda than a general retailer
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 02:13:27 PM by E27006 »

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2021, 12:47:26 AM »
If you do the sparkplug yourself a tip is loosen them off then put a rag over the top then just crank the engine and knock it straight off.

The plug will pop out nicely and blow any debris out the plug hole.

Tags:

anything