Author Topic: New South African variant.  (Read 44196 times)

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
Re: New South African variant.
« Reply #330 on: December 29, 2021, 11:07:27 PM »
The good news: It'll likely be over by March, maybe February...
Over in what sense? My understanding all along has been that we will be living with this series of virii for ever just like Influenza.
Neil Ives

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #331 on: December 30, 2021, 08:21:18 AM »
Yes : Just like flu after the 1918-20 epidemic. Still here 100 years later. And mutating and still killing people.(Mostly elderly unvaccinated)

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #332 on: December 30, 2021, 02:04:53 PM »
The good news: It'll likely be over by March, maybe February...
Over in what sense? My understanding all along has been that we will be living with this series of virii for ever just like Influenza.

The plural of virus is viruses.

"virii" would be the plural of a hypothetical second declension Latin word "virius".

Response from a Latin scholar: https://linguistlist.org/issues/15/15-1540/

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #333 on: December 30, 2021, 05:22:26 PM »
The plural of virus is viruses.
Thank you; I had no idea.  >:(
Neil Ives

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #334 on: January 04, 2022, 05:01:06 PM »
Johnson on again at 5pm
Wonder if he still sees nothing in data?
https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Granted reporting of data is all over the place due to the holidays but
Confirmed cases, hospitalisations and deaths all up 50% in a week. Tests up 1%.

And its not just London
https://nitter.42l.fr/PaulMainwood/status/1478397388607954952#m

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #335 on: January 04, 2022, 05:39:42 PM »
Looking at the data they are presenting, our main problem is the unvaccinated and partially unvaccinated.

Reading between the lines they seem to be allowing the country to carry on and if you are unvaccinated then that's your lookout if you do need ICU hooked up to tubes and monitors. Self inflicted misery.
Let's be careful out there !

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #336 on: January 04, 2022, 08:19:32 PM »
Looking at the data they are presenting, our main problem is the unvaccinated and partially unvaccinated.

Reading between the lines they seem to be allowing the country to carry on and if you are unvaccinated then that's your lookout if you do need ICU hooked up to tubes and monitors. Self inflicted misery.
Unfortunately the unvaccinated will not be the only ones to suffer.
The virus will also be passed to vaccinated older, more vulnerable people - not to mention those who will go untreated or undiagnosed because the health service will be otherwise engaged.
Also the country can't carry on as normal when so many key workers are off sick or isolating.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #337 on: January 05, 2022, 05:00:59 AM »
That's the sad part of it, everyone suffers.

I walked the long way to my Amazon locker yesterday. 07:00 so it was easy to see inside the lighted buses along the main road.

The most frequent bus is the 140 that runs from Harrow to Heathrow. During my walk I stopped and looked as each 140 passed, both directions.

The inside picture was the same on each bus ....... downstairs 95% mainly IC1 wearing masks. Upstairs 80%, mainly IC3 IC4 NOT wearing masks and this time of year all windows shut.

Do they not realise the risks they are taking to themselves, their own family and others.
Let's be careful out there !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #338 on: January 05, 2022, 08:17:37 AM »

The virus will also be passed to vaccinated older, more vulnerable people - not to mention those who will go untreated or undiagnosed because the health service will be otherwise engaged.
Also the country can't carry on as normal when so many key workers are off sick or isolating.

The vaccinated and 'boosted' just as capable of spreading the virus around as the unavxxed, and maybe less likely to show overt symptoms.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #339 on: January 05, 2022, 09:09:16 AM »

The vaccinated and 'boosted' just as capable of spreading the virus around as the unavxxed, and maybe less likely to show overt symptoms.
Er No.
Even if infected, the vaccinated and boosted person is likely to be carrying a lower viral load.
https://www.osfhealthcare.org/blog/fully-vaccinated-less-likely-to-pass-covid-19-to-others/
 Plus-- measures like mask wearing social distancing and good ventilation reduce transmission.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 09:19:10 AM by JimSh »

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #340 on: January 05, 2022, 11:59:56 AM »
The vaccinated and 'boosted' just as capable of spreading the virus around as the unvaxxed, and maybe less likely to show overt symptoms.

Do you have a source for that assertion?

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #341 on: January 05, 2022, 01:34:31 PM »
"Infections with the Delta variant in vaccinated persons potentially have reduced transmissibility than infections in unvaccinated persons, although additional studies are needed."
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/fully-vaccinated-people.html

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #342 on: January 06, 2022, 12:53:56 PM »

Another source (posted by Dermot in November (reply #56) in contradiction to your statement.
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2294250-how-much-less-likely-are-you-to-spread-covid-19-if-youre-vaccinated/

Update on testing
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/covid-19-testing-rules-following-162226281.html

I can't help but think that this is due to the testing system being overwhelmed by the high numbers.

How many people will self isolate on the basis of a lateral flow test, especially if they need to work to earn money and don't feel too bad?

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #343 on: January 07, 2022, 09:47:03 PM »
Latest Indie Sage Briefing. 7th January (first for 3 weeks)
You Tube Video

Main Summary Slides See attachments

See all slides here (fingers crossed)
Edit Link did not work.
Hopefully can be accessed from this page.[See the numbers here (pdf)]
https://www.independentsage.org/weekly-briefing-7th-january-2022/

Hospitals under great pressure.
Next problems returns of schools and universities
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 10:24:20 PM by JimSh »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #344 on: January 08, 2022, 01:31:39 PM »
Listening to Linda Bauld this morning. In Scotland, after correcting for age, you are 12.5 times more likely to end up seriously ill in hospital if you are unvaccinated than against vaccinated.
And again, in Scotland, 60% of hospital cases with Covid were admitted for Covid as against the 40% who were diagnosed with Covid on being admitted for something non-Covid related.

Tags: