Author Topic: New South African variant.  (Read 44214 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: New South African variant.
« Reply #285 on: December 21, 2021, 02:13:40 PM »
If this report https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-vaccine-immunity-antibody-omicron-b1979528.html then we who have been jabbed would benefit from then catching a dose of the virus.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #286 on: December 21, 2021, 04:23:00 PM »
If this report https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-vaccine-immunity-antibody-omicron-b1979528.html then we who have been jabbed would benefit from then catching a dose of the virus.
I think I'll wait till a lot more than 26 people have been researched although I suppose the least worst time to catch covid would be when just newly boosted.
https://www.livescience.com/breakthrough-covid-infection-immunity-boost
Edit added link
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 04:28:05 PM by JimSh »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #287 on: December 21, 2021, 07:10:19 PM »
If the cost is worked out as '£'s per life 'saved' the figures are eye-watering.
Just how much do you reckon a human life is worth?

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #288 on: December 21, 2021, 07:48:56 PM »
Today I filled up my fuel tank. They are talking about infrastructure issues from Omicron, including a possible lack of delivery drivers, so unlike Boris, I decided to get ahead of the curve.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 02:45:59 PM by JimSh »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #290 on: December 22, 2021, 10:35:48 AM »
If the cost is worked out as '£'s per life 'saved' the figures are eye-watering.
Just how much do you reckon a human life is worth?

Ask a hospital ethics committee or NICE,  they put a price on cost of medical treatment allowed every single day....  It pays to remember that 95% of covid deaths in UK have been in the over 60's,  and 75% in people over 85 ( life expectancy in UK is about 83 ). The typical patient is already chronically ill with 2 or more conditions that could kill them at any time.  Obesity is also a major cause of death in covid victims under 60.  You than have to compare this with the damage to other patients with undiagnosed conditions in younger patients like cancers, missed operations etc, as well as the damage to the economy, job prospects for younger people.

https://www.healthguideinfo.com/health-informatics/p6185/
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 10:47:29 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #291 on: December 22, 2021, 04:52:15 PM »
I genuinely don't understand the argument about damage to other people in respect of undiagnosed cancers etc. The reason cancers are being undiagnosed is not because of anti covid measures, it's because of Covid overwhelming the health services. Keep people out of hospital and there is more space and resource to devote to other ailments.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #292 on: December 22, 2021, 05:37:08 PM »
........ with the majority of hospital admissions being reported as the unvaccinated.

If so, do they realise what they are voluntarily doing to other people and families.
Let's be careful out there !

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #293 on: December 23, 2021, 11:19:59 AM »
........ with the majority of hospital admissions being reported as the unvaccinated.

If so, do they realise what they are voluntarily doing to other people and families.

I searched for cold hard statistics on this.
Lots of claims about"90%" etc.

NO proof from any definitive study.

I am not saying it is untrue but as the published study I read said 40 odd % of all patients with Covid in hospital were unvaccinated, then I am dubious.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #294 on: December 23, 2021, 11:48:18 AM »
Studies on AZ and Pfizer / Moderna vaccines suggest that the Adenovirus AZ vaccine give much longer lasting T cell protection compared to short term antibody protection given by mRNA vaccines - that may well explain why Sarah Gilbert of Oxford university said boosters not needed for people who had AZ but Pfizer say one 'booster' jab every 3 months needed.

mRNA vaccines like Moderna and Pfizer give short lived antibodies…. But weak T cell immunity, T cell immunity lasts a lot longer.

https://theconversation.com/does-astrazenecas-covid-vaccine-give-longer-lasting-protection-than-mrna-shots-172609

They have found unvaccinated people who have recovered from Covid, but show no antibodies, they do show T cell immunity though

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200716-the-people-with-hidden-protection-from-covid-19
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #295 on: December 23, 2021, 12:06:23 PM »

It's an interesting moral point in a way. New restrictions are based on relieving pressure on hospitals but all the evidence indicates (with a few exceptions) that they are currently full of the unvaccinated as you say. So, in short, the vaccinated have to endure restrictions which are mainly aimed at ensuring the unvaccinated don't end up in ICUs.

What's the answer? Leave them to die? My own tentative view is that we make it difficult for the unvaccinated to mix, go to pubs or restaurants and certainly not to attend mass events. This falls short of mandatory vaccination but makes it clear that the vaccinated can carry on as normal and the unvaccinated will have to face the consequences of their stupidity.

Basil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.2 S Mk2 - GG5 & 1.5 Sport Mk3 - GK5
« Reply #296 on: December 23, 2021, 12:08:46 PM »
I think I'll wait till a lot more than 26 people have been researched although I suppose the least worst time to catch covid would be when just newly boosted.
https://www.livescience.com/breakthrough-covid-infection-immunity-boost
Edit added link

Myself and Mrs B tested positive mid November, the week we were due to get our boosters. Not well for a couple of weeks but recovered and had our boosters, Moderna this time and had cold sweats for a couple of nights but all ok again now except that Mrs B has broken her leg !

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #297 on: December 23, 2021, 12:15:48 PM »

I searched for cold hard statistics on this.
Lots of claims about"90%" etc.

NO proof from any definitive study.

I am not saying it is untrue but as the published study I read said 40 odd % of all patients with Covid in hospital were unvaccinated, then I am dubious.

On reading your post I had a look as well and couldn't find anything either.
What I did find in the ONS statistics though was that the disease was most prevalent in young chidren (unvaccinated) but hospitalisations were more prevalent amongst older age groups.
My take on this would be to take care  over Christmas with young children.
Vaccination or previous infection does not give 100% immunity.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #298 on: December 23, 2021, 12:20:38 PM »

It's an interesting moral point in a way. New restrictions are based on relieving pressure on hospitals but all the evidence indicates (with a few exceptions) that they are currently full of the unvaccinated as you say. So, in short, the vaccinated have to endure restrictions which are mainly aimed at ensuring the unvaccinated don't end up in ICUs.

What's the answer? Leave them to die? My own tentative view is that we make it difficult for the unvaccinated to mix, go to pubs or restaurants and certainly not to attend mass events. This falls short of mandatory vaccination but makes it clear that the vaccinated can carry on as normal and the unvaccinated will have to face the consequences of their stupidity.
The trouble is it is very hard to isolate any group from others - think care homes early in pandemic.
It will be even harder with the unvaccinated.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #299 on: December 23, 2021, 12:25:36 PM »
This is just one report mentioning the 90% unvaccinated.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/12/21/london-doctor-says-nine-in-10-icu-patients-are-unvaccinated-15805144/

It may be inflated due to frustration.
Let's be careful out there !

Tags:

anything