Author Topic: Can you fit a tow bar to carry e-bikes to a new 2021 Jazz EX Hybrid  (Read 4660 times)

Jayt43

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
Re: Can you fit a tow bar to carry e-bikes to a new 2021 Jazz EX Hybrid
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2021, 01:40:22 PM »
I don't think I would trust those flimsy roof bars with the weight of two heavy e-bikes.

Not sure why you reckon they're flimsy. I have the exact same red Crosstar and they're rock solid. The only consideration is the load weight on the roof (I think it's only 30-35kg).

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2021, 02:18:55 PM »
I don't think I would trust those flimsy roof bars with the weight of two heavy e-bikes.

Not sure why you reckon they're flimsy. I have the exact same red Crosstar and they're rock solid. The only consideration is the load weight on the roof (I think it's only 30-35kg).

Because the e-bikes are 15-16kg each and imagine the sideways momentum of these bikes/batteries as you go round a corner. The battery on an e-bike is usually quite high up also, thus increasing the torque that's going to be placed on the bars. Not something I would choose to do.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2021, 02:57:27 PM »
Because the e-bikes are 15-16kg each and imagine the sideways momentum of these bikes/batteries as you go round a corner. The battery on an e-bike is usually quite high up also, thus increasing the torque that's going to be placed on the bars. Not something I would choose to do.

Batteries are often removable. In the boot with them!
If nothing goes right, go left!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2021, 04:02:26 PM »
There must be a fair amount of weight on the tow bar bike carriers.  More than the nose weight of a small trailer I'd have thought.    Getting type approval for maximum towing weights must be a right palaver
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2021, 09:24:09 PM »

The roof bars are not connected to to the 'roof' but to the side pressed major structural sides.

Does anyone really think that a car manufacturer would make both car and accessories in this day and age that cannot reasonably fullfil all the expected uses of the car or indeed be allowed to?

The windage or side centrifugal loads on bikes on the roof will be well and truly calculated a the worst possible condition probably at SF2 at least, get real folks, Honda and no other manufacturer will not make anything that could possibly lead to injury, failure and loss of reputation let alone being sued.

DERMOT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk4 SR
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2021, 09:48:29 PM »
70kg total  for carriers and bikes stated in install instructions

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2021, 10:26:10 PM »

The roof bars are not connected to to the 'roof' but to the side pressed major structural sides.

Does anyone really think that a car manufacturer would make both car and accessories in this day and age that cannot reasonably fullfil all the expected uses of the car or indeed be allowed to?

The windage or side centrifugal loads on bikes on the roof will be well and truly calculated a the worst possible condition probably at SF2 at least, get real folks, Honda and no other manufacturer will not make anything that could possibly lead to injury, failure and loss of reputation let alone being sued.
Tell that to the owners of recent MG vehicles with ‘decorative' roof bars.

DERMOT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk4 SR

Jazzist

• Approved Member
  • The Jazzdriving Dutchman
  • My Honda: Jazz Executive 2021
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2021, 10:25:50 AM »
Jazz with 2 e-bikes without battery on a Brink towbar.
The Honda Forum unites the World.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2021, 11:54:32 AM »
Jazz with 2 e-bikes without battery on a Brink towbar.

It might be the camera angle, but the length of these bikes looks  much longer than the width of the Jazz, or indeed most cars  , even allowing for its door mirrors.   Could be a bit of a hazard IMO  ,although high visibility width signing would help. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2021, 04:23:24 PM »

What have MGs got to do with Honda?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2021, 04:57:04 PM »

Just an example 'that all cars are not created equal' I think...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2021, 05:42:23 PM »

Just an example 'that all cars are not created equal' I think...

I think the reference to MG is because of the debacle whereby the MG5 is sold with roof rails, which any reasonable person would probably assume were intended to carry a load, but it turns out MG hadn't actually done any sums. It looks like they are belatedly amending that ...
https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/05/7-months-after-going-on-sale-mg-can-finally-say-whether-owners-of-its-electric-car-can-use-the-roof-rails/

So in response to...
... the answer is "Yes, MG would".

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2021, 11:03:25 PM »
You asked…

And I gave you an example.

AnastieByte

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX Sunlight White Pearl
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2022, 08:13:26 AM »
I thought it helpful to update this thread with my findings regarding a tow bar on the Jazz to carry ebikes.

There’s loads of misinformation around regarding this. Many tow bar fitters say it can’t be done despite as earlier posts state one manufacturer makes a tow bar for the Jazz hybrid to carry bikes.

After getting frustrated talking to dealers and fitters at reputable local companies I pushed on.

The bottom line is as some have found that you can definitely get a tow bar for the Jazz to carry bikes. Cost with my local fitter supplied and fitted would be £630 not including bike rack. However, be careful as this specific tow bar has a pin going through the tow ball that prevents a trailer been hitched to it. Therefore only certain bike racks are compatible. Brink have a list of compatibility and it’s not that long!.

A Honda dealer will charge around £1024. However, he assured me this includes the bike carrier and tow bar supplied and fitted with no impact upon the warranty.

Hope this helps!

Tags: