Author Topic: Starting up problem  (Read 1277 times)

rekvy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 2003, 1.4
Starting up problem
« on: October 18, 2021, 07:10:30 PM »
Hi guys,
I have a bit of a problem with the cold start of Honda jazz 1.4 61kw 150t km. The point is, when it's colder outside and the car stands longer, it starts badly. As you can see in video below, the car starts very weakly but immediately shuts off. On second try though it works all ok. If the engine is slightly warm, it starts immidiately and for the first time. Do you know what it could be? Diagnostic tool does show any code what so ever
This things has been changed on the car in the last year:
-new battery
-new plugs, oil, filters
-cleaned EGR and MAP, throttle valve
-used fuel additives and 1x fuel system cleaner regularly
-exchanged fuel pump from another car without any success

https://youtu.be/hlu1yDri7Fk

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Re: Starting up problem
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 08:05:37 AM »
could be the cold start sensor ? the jazz usually revs very high first turn when cold which can be unerving lol.. but soon comes down as its warming up.. i noticed the idle was very low once yours did start

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 10:40:35 AM »
There are normally two temperature sensors on a fuel injected engine, one for the coolant temperature and one for ambient air temperature.  These are needed by the ECU to decide how much fuel to inject, the mixture needs to be rich to ignite at lower temperatures ( more fuel for a given amount of air ).  Sometimes a failing engine coolant sensor may not trigger a fault light or code.  The coolant temp sensor is fairly cheap - £15 to £20,  it screws into engine block and the sensor part is in the coolant.  On MK1 Jazz the sensor is in rear of cylinder block at gearbox end,  may need to remove air cleaner to access it,  it is right next to crankshaft position sensor, the temperature sensor actually screws in the engine and the crankshaft sensor has single bolt fixing.   Don't know if it is possible to see if the sensor is working via OBD reader or need to check voltage output when cold and hot with voltmeter.  I think Jocko could see the engine temp on his plug in permanently plugged in OBD that he kept on dashboard for MPG etc.  An OBD scanner gives a lot more info, but you pays yer money and gets what you need.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 10:45:32 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

rekvy

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 05:31:04 PM »
Hello guys,
thank you for your answers. Do you mean the temp sensor near air cleaner (check attach pictures)? If I change it, do I need to drain coolant before replacement? Is it part no. 37870-PNA-003?

https://imgur.com/a/B9HRIE9

rekvy

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 06:34:02 PM »
hello guys,
by replacing the ECT1 sensor the problem disappeared! Thank you

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2021, 11:10:38 AM »
im guessing the temp control sensor.. had a strange problem with my old Subaru forester my first manual one.. used to start on the button but after warming up for a mile or so . it started racing again and was a pig to start if i stopped at that point. but was ok once warm.. after messing with idle control valves etc yes turned out to be the cold start getting mixed messages from the sensor

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2021, 11:25:30 AM »
Coolant temperature sensor also very important on Diesels,   it tells the glowplugs how long they need to be on for.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Toptek

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2021, 03:46:45 PM »
im guessing the temp control sensor.. had a strange problem with my old Subaru forester my first manual one.. used to start on the button but after warming up for a mile or so . it started racing again and was a pig to start if i stopped at that point. but was ok once warm.. after messing with idle control valves etc yes turned out to be the cold start getting mixed messages from the sensor
I had a similar problem with a Fiat Punto. At certain temperature each morning the revs would suddenly increase, it was a bit daunting as it used to happen at the first set of lights and I needed to manage any sudden rush in acceleration.
Fortunately it was quickly resolved with a new sensor.

Tags: