Author Topic: CTEK Battery Chargers.  (Read 5636 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: CTEK Battery Chargers.
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2022, 05:11:24 PM »
I've never bothered to disconnect the battery when giving it a top-up. One benefit, however, of disconnecting when charging the Mk 3's battery is that it causes the ECU to reset whatever it thinks is the battery charge level which can sometimes get the stop-start working when it has been persistently showing low battery.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jeff B

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 Jazz 2017 (67 plate)
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2022, 11:13:46 PM »
I have spoken to the Honda dealer where I got the car from as I wanted to know what type of battery I have on my Mk3 CVT Jazz.

I was told that the battery is a standard lead acid jobbie. Whilst in conversation it was confirmed that there is no need to disconnect the battery when charging and the crocodile clip connectors should be placed onto the +ve and -ve terminals of the battery rather than the +ve and the earth connection from the -ve terminal.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2022, 11:15:24 PM »
... I don't know what type of battery I have either, and the NOCO charger requires me to select the type before I connect it! ...
99% probability is it will be an EFB type, that is the original equipment Yuasa spec anyway
https://batteryworld.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/efb-or-agm-which-battery-do-i-need

In any event it is unlikely to be an AGM, so use the "non-AGM" setting, suitable for traditional flooded and EFB types.

One comment I'd make, and invite anyone else to add, is that the CTEK MXS5.0 charger which I have actually runs at nearly half a volt higher than the quoted values, to the point where I'm reluctant to leave it connected for long periods (it's high on both the "normal" and the AGM settings).
I used it on an admittedly old battery which was still usable and in-service, and when I returned to the car in the garage it smelt of sulphur and the battery was fizzing merrily, and the charger still showed it was in the main charge phase at over 14.5V. The battery was then scrap. I know it was old but it hadn't failed, the charger killed it. Now I have reverted to my old Banner charger which doesn't have the fancy LED indicators but does regulate the voltage at safe values during the main charge phase and subsequent maintenance stage, but is limited current capacity. I use the CTEK for short fast charges but keep a close eye on the voltage it reaches.
Since seeing tech reviews of the CTEKs on Youtube (sorry, no link), I'm thinking I might go for a NOCO instead, the reviewer seemed to think rather more of them as a technical product, he was somewhat scathing of the build of the CTEK.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 11:19:17 PM by embee »

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2022, 09:12:07 AM »
I have spoken to the Honda dealer where I got the car from as I wanted to know what type of battery I have on my Mk3 CVT Jazz.

I was told that the battery is a standard lead acid jobbie. Whilst in conversation it was confirmed that there is no need to disconnect the battery when charging and the crocodile clip connectors should be placed onto the +ve and -ve terminals of the battery rather than the +ve and the earth connection from the -ve terminal.

I suspect you were talking to a salesman rather than someone with technical knowledge.

Firstly, it is not a "standard lead acid jobbie", you need an EFB battery to cope with the extra duty cycles imposed by the stop/start system. The one that usually comes up when you search t'internet is this one, which I think is Honda's OEM fit:
https://www.thebatteryshop.co.uk/yuasa-12v-45ah-450a-efb-start-stop-battery-ybx7053-053efb-n55-8929-p.asp

Secondly, others have commented in this forum that connecting directly to the battery posts by-passes the gadget that measures the current flow to/from the battery. For example:
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12096.msg85388#msg85388
The connection points are described in the handbook under the jump-start procedure.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2022, 11:11:16 AM »
Yes, I've connected my negative CTEK wire to the metal bracket, not the terminal, as advised, but not as per the jump start as the seperation won't reach.

Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2022, 01:44:34 PM »
Firstly, it is not a "standard lead acid jobbie", you need an EFB battery to cope with the extra duty cycles imposed by the stop/start system.
For the younger amongst us that is the standard lead acid jobbie. Stop-start batteries have pretty much been the standard for a number of years now, for most manufacturers.

Jeff B

• Approved Member
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2022, 05:59:00 PM »
Firstly, it is not a "standard lead acid jobbie", you need an EFB battery to cope with the extra duty cycles imposed by the stop/start system.
For the younger amongst us that is the standard lead acid jobbie. Stop-start batteries have pretty much been the standard for a number of years now, for most manufacturers.

Indeed! It is a confused picture - take a look at these Honda replacement batteries from Cox Motor Spares (Honda spares):

https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-jazz-1-4-petrol-battery-2016-onwards/

https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-jazz-1-3-petrol-stop-start-battery-2018-onwards/

According to this my 2017 Jazz would need the former and a 2018 model the latter, yet mine has the stop/start feature too. I have no problem in connecting the -ve from the battery charger to the earth strap as this is what you would do when jump starting - I am just concerned that I select the correct setting on the charger to suit the battery I have. The top of the battery needs to be stamped in large letters EFB or AGM or whatever, so there is no doubt!  ;)

Jeff B

• Approved Member
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2022, 06:00:51 PM »

I suspect you were talking to a salesman rather than someone with technical knowledge.

Firstly, it is not a "standard lead acid jobbie", you need an EFB battery to cope with the extra duty cycles imposed by the stop/start system. The one that usually comes up when you search t'internet is this one, which I think is Honda's OEM fit:
https://www.thebatteryshop.co.uk/yuasa-12v-45ah-450a-efb-start-stop-battery-ybx7053-053efb-n55-8929-p.asp

Secondly, others have commented in this forum that connecting directly to the battery posts by-passes the gadget that measures the current flow to/from the battery. For example:
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12096.msg85388#msg85388
The connection points are described in the handbook under the jump-start procedure.

Thanks for your input. Please see my reply above.

Tags: