Author Topic: Honda Jazz perception as an old person's car  (Read 11790 times)

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
Re: Honda Jazz perception as an old person's car
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2021, 08:35:41 AM »
Back on the perception of the Jazz as an old person's car.

I was at an independent garage and dealer looking at possible estate car replacements. The first thing the salesperson wanted to do was have a quick look at my car. Instantly he said not what I'd expect you (arguably middle aged man - ok 60) to drive - it's a granny's car. To add insult to insult, learning it's got 136k miles he offered me £300 part ex.

Also, on the narrow country roads around here I often get tailgated by drivers assuming a Jazz will be slow. My prejudice is they're usually German made cars. Generally they fall back on the corners. I have to keep my speed up because, love my Jazz as I do, it's gutless up hills.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2021, 02:45:31 PM »
I have to keep my speed up because, love my Jazz as I do, it's gutless up hills.
My son drive's my Jazz now, but when I used it daily, I thought it was gutless on the hills. I live up quite a long and, in places, very steep hill. But the thing is, you just need to learn what it likes. Dropping down a gear or two and gunning the engine, don't worry about the revs, it loves high revs, makes it perform very differently on the hills.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2021, 04:36:10 PM »
I have to keep my speed up because, love my Jazz as I do, it's gutless up hills.
My son drive's my Jazz now, but when I used it daily, I thought it was gutless on the hills. I live up quite a long and, in places, very steep hill. But the thing is, you just need to learn what it likes. Dropping down a gear or two and gunning the engine, don't worry about the revs, it loves high revs, makes it perform very differently on the hills.

The MK1 GD was much better at hills than the MK2, despite having less power ( but IMHO the power on the MK1 was in the right place for the Jazz as a mainly urban car ). Problem with the MK2 manual is that the gap between 1st and 2nd gear is too large, on a decent hill you have the rev the nuts off it before going for 2nd,  if you let revs drop below about 3000 you are scuppered.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2021, 04:43:22 PM »
Problem with the MK2 manual is that the gap between 1st and 2nd gear is too large, on a decent hill you have the rev the nuts off it before going for 2nd,  if you let revs drop below about 3000 you are scuppered.
Exactly. The only thing I didn't like about the Mk2. Although again, you got used to it. Regretted swapping it for the HRV, which was a poorly thought out, poorly built mess in comparison.

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2021, 07:54:51 PM »
Quote from: springswood on Today at 08:35:41 AM
Also, on the narrow country roads around here I often get tailgated by drivers assuming a Jazz will be slow. My prejudice is they're usually German made cars.

every German car owners manual states ..
congratulations on your purchase you now have the ability to drive like a complete numpty . feel free to floor it wherever you drive as its german engineering (that will break down often. but just blame the garage) make sure the arrogance sensor is at full blast everytime you start your vehicle. tailgate and bully other cars often and never indicate when turning or overtaking which you should do always...

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2021, 08:10:22 PM »

The MK1 GD was much better at hills than the MK2, despite having less power ( but IMHO the power on the MK1 was in the right place for the Jazz as a mainly urban car ). Problem with the MK2 manual is that the gap between 1st and 2nd gear is too large, on a decent hill you have the rev the nuts off it before going for 2nd,  if you let revs drop below about 3000 you are scuppered.

Yep. Not a car for hill climbing. That ratio gap is one of my pet gripes which is why I get into third as quickly as possible.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2021, 09:20:16 PM »
In the early 1970's I bought an ancient, split-windscreen Bedford Dormobile, like the one in the picture. The vehicle was generally shagged out. The gear change was on the steering column. The gearbox should have had four gears; unfortunately there was so much slack in the linkages and in the gearbox itself that I could only use three of the forward gears. I could make adjustments so I could have second, third and fourth or first, third and fourth. The engine was so gutless that pulling away in second was only possible when facing down a hill! First gear had a very low ratio, presumably because the vehicle was originally designed to be a commercial van and it needed all the help it could get to make a hill start. So, I had to have first gear, and that meant no second. Moving off went like this: Pull away in first. Stay in first until the engine is screaming. Change gear into third. Engine revs drop to almost tick over speed. Vehicle judders along gradually gaining speed. Eventually, change into fourth gear and cruising speed. Such fun!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 10:20:29 AM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2021, 05:04:25 AM »
Friend of mine back in the 70's had an old green Post Office moggy 1000.

He bored out and rebuilt the engine, included a stage 3 head and upgraded the brakes and gearbox to match. He didn't touch the bodywork and used to leave a lot of cars for dead.

He also had some intriguing self built addons.

He constructed stereo speakers into self built headrests so no normal speakers.
He developed a system whereby he could inject a small amount of Redex whilst driving so anyone tailgating got a windscreen full of smoke. They soon backed off.
The van had 2 small rear windows and one of them had a concealed spotlight so he could return the compliment when someone behind had main beam or started flashing.

Those were the days.
Let's be careful out there !

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2021, 10:21:52 AM »

He bored out and rebuilt the engine, included a stage 3 head and upgraded the brakes and gearbox to match. He didn't touch the bodywork and used to leave a lot of cars for dead.

He developed a system whereby he could inject a small amount of Redex whilst driving so anyone tailgating got a windscreen full of smoke. They soon backed off.
The van had 2 small rear windows and one of them had a concealed spotlight so he could return the compliment when someone behind had main beam or started flashing.

Those were the days.
A James Bond vehicle  :D
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2021, 10:58:13 AM »
There were actually quite a few in the RAF motor club who did some fancy things. There were a lot of experts in various fields in the club.
Let's be careful out there !

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2021, 11:26:04 AM »
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/honda-jazz-hybrid-ex-review-b1815685.html

Interesting article from Sean O'Grady of the Independent (one of their older columnists). He's decided on a Jazz Mk 4. Quite amusing.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2021, 11:41:30 AM »

Those were the days.
A James Bond vehicle  :D

James Bond would have had a 50Kw laser, not a spotlight  :o

I get a windscreen ( and cabin ) full of smoke from many diesel vehicles I follow, how I hate the smell of diesel, and as a motorbike rider am paranoid about diesel spills on the road, when mixed with a bit of damp diesel has a coefficient of friction less than teflon coated in olive oil ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2021, 12:21:12 PM »
Interesting article from Sean O'Grady of the Independent (one of their older columnists). He's decided on a Jazz Mk 4. Quite amusing.
Most of what's written makes sense but I can't relate to "Indeed, the grumbly noises from the one-speed constant velocity transmission (CVT) make lively driving rather a chore.". Yes, the engine does get a bit vocal if asked to work hard (an effective warning that it's in a zone of lower efficiency) but the transmission stays silent.

I expect that, in due course, those with families will start to realise that the Jazz is no longer a lethargic car and should be on their shortlist as it provides a good balance between capacity, performance and economy. However, those who prepare lists of "best" vehicles in different groups tend to use the external size. For example, the Crosstar is nowhere to be seen on Which?'s list of best small cross-overs in spite of having more carrying capacity (particularly rear seat room) than vehicles that are on the list. Word will slowly get around.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2021, 02:12:53 PM »
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/honda-jazz-hybrid-ex-review-b1815685.html

He's got it right I reckon.
Neil Ives

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2021, 12:26:58 PM »
Most of what's written makes sense but I can't relate to "Indeed, the grumbly noises from the one-speed constant velocity transmission (CVT) make lively driving rather a chore.". Yes, the engine does get a bit vocal if asked to work hard (an effective warning that it's in a zone of lower efficiency) but the transmission stays silent.

I expect that, in due course, those with families will start to realise that the Jazz is no longer a lethargic car and should be on their shortlist as it provides a good balance between capacity, performance and economy. However, those who prepare lists of "best" vehicles in different groups tend to use the external size. For example, the Crosstar is nowhere to be seen on Which?'s list of best small cross-overs in spite of having more carrying capacity (particularly rear seat room) than vehicles that are on the list. Word will slowly get around.

On the Cross Star it's loads better than, say, the Nissan Juke which is incredibly cramped in the back. I know, I've been a passenger in one several times.

Tags: